New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

P3nT's sketchbook

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    Surface constrain plus custom stamp. Total time 5 mins. 

• MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    Wow, dude, that is an incredible job detailing. I love the idea of going back to a sculpt from Dec/Jan and seeing what you can do now both from practice and from the app improvements. 
    Cheers @MattHickman Had a whale of a time just making it up as I went along. So I said speedsculpts monday to friday. Fell at the first hurdle. 2hours of blocking later...

Breaking symmetry feels like flying the nest. I always seem to face it with a bit of trepidation but having it on is starting to feel like a crutch. Time to cut loose. Feels liberating. I'm using bits of all the refs (not just the ones you see here) but the more I look at the one on the right, the more it's got the kind of expression I think I want to end up with.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Thanks, mate! It's a bit heavy duty for using in a sculpt but I can export a bunch of these to blender and then add them into sculpts coming out of Medium.

What would be really tasty is if I could export these as 50-100kilopoly meshes with UV and normals then reimport to medium but just park the mesh on the GPU, rather than reload whole SDF. That'd allow some next level shit straight out of medium if we could mix static mesh and dynamic sdf in engine.

@MattHickman - would your engine allow something like this to happen in theory?

• CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    @P3nT4gR4m dude that eye looks amazing! Also the goblin promoter looks fantastic with all the detailing - despite all of your self-loathing :P 

Also for Bob, I think you just need to change the skin tone to something lighter with more yellow in it and you'll realize that it's pretty spot on!

"Shut up, Wesley!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

@Calmfixup Thanks, mate, I'll try Bob out a bit lighter. I was pretty cool with the second pic I posted. It's the one I haven't shown here that's the reason for the meltdown. If I'd posted it you'd probably loathe me too by now :D
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    Excellent work as usual man, looks great!!!

"Shut up, Wesley!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

edited June 2017
    Thanks muchly!

Cutting loose with a random caricature tonight. Just having fun and not trying to make it look like anything in particular for a change of pace. Portraits are tiring and frustrating. Need a break now and again and just scribble :D

Speedsculpt tonight based on Orange spectacles by rossdraws which popped up on my Deviant Art feed tonight. 

Your busts have really stepped up a level man! Your making me really want to start doing some more :)
    edited June 2017
    So, couple of weeks back, I downloaded Anatomy360 on the @Martinity 's recommendation. Loaded it up, had a quick play, then promptly forgot all about it. Loaded it up today and grabbed a couple of torso shots and noticed a massive difference straight away. I'd recommend anyone interested in learning how to virtually assemble homosapiens to give it a look. 

Torso took about 40mins of moderately excruciating patience and concentration then I rewarded myself by scribbling in the head for the last five or ten minutes. Figure if I just keep doing this, my bodies will be as fast as my faces and I'll be able to muck about with it and create new creatures and stuff to the same degree.

edited June 2017
    Found a new trick today - using custom stamps constrained to surface for profit and lulz

First off an explanation of how the stamps align to surface normals, crucial to understand. When you export a layer, worldspace-up is the way your stamp will be aligned, perpendicular to the surface you're spraying it on.

I start with a flattened disk, placed flat, like how I'd hold a pizza. Anything I sculpt on the top of the stamp is the surface texture I'm going to be adding to the mesh. Conversely, the profile of the bottom of this layer of mine will be what is carved away when I flip my tool to subtract mode.

Plan accordingly.

Now here's the thing, on a smooth surface, like the sphere in this example clip, the disk will behave itself and, as long as you don't let go of the trigger, you can fill your object with a reasonably uniform texture. or paint on areas (islands in this case) However, once you've roughed up the surface, you have to imagine all the normals are pointing here there and everywhere so, your second pass is going to behave a totally different way from the first, throwing a lot more edges up in the air Likewise when carving - different effect on flat or textured surface.

Plan accordingly.

This clip is recorded in realtime as a proof of concept. Spent literally two minutes beforehand, making the custom stamps. I'ma throw an hour or two at this now and see what I can come up with.

• MartinityMartinity Posts: 139 Poster of the Week
    Cool trick, thanks for sharing
    Update. It's not as simple as worldspace-up. Tried to do tower blocks for a city and they aligned sideways, no matter what I did. @MattHickman - any light you can shed on how the custom stamps align to surface?

Here's the result of about 40 mins work

New tutorial on youtube. Black Emissives.

@P3nT4gR4m Wicked Tip!  :D

Great sculpt with the little planet too, wish I though of that would of saved me a lot of time! :P Although wouldn't it be great if we could 'surface' sculpt on a new layer
    Constrain to target layer? Very this! There's a workaround but it's clunky as hell and non-symmetrical.

Basically, you need to dupe your base layer, then move it to one side of the symmetry plane, with mirror on.

So you'll be scribbling on the mesh on one side of the plane but on the other the scribbles will just be appearing in the air. Once you're done delete the side you were working on then you have to manually align the new scribble layer with the original base layer.

Like I said - clunky but it'll give the effect you're working on. Used the mirror-mode-air-scribble trick on this one. Didn't line it back up with the original basemesh afterward but you should get the idea.

great work-around, I like your thinking! :)
    Congratz man, well deserved after all the work you've put in!

Would you say its worth putting stuff on Sketchfab then? I haven't really looked into it too much
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    Dude Love the Cycles Render - Stunning Mate Congratulations  :)