New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

P3nT's sketchbook

Comments

• CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2017
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Totally stoked, I finally can haz an easy pipeline into UE4. Thank you medium team, my dreams are coming true and you guys are large-partly responsible!

edit:

DOH!

Didn't see the 1.1.1 update post yesterday :'(

"Shut up, Wesley!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player

Prefabricated Gigeresque corridor sections in UE4. 

So I figure by the time VR/AR goes mainstream a portfolio, an art gallery and an evil genius secret lair are gonna be pretty much the same thing. So here's the entrance to mine, constructed in Medium, assembled in UE4. I figure I have between now and whenever VR/AR goes mainstream to figure out how to make awesome shit to fill it with

Doodling, cum anatomy practice.

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    Er... what kind of anatomy? Please tell me that's a typo. Lol.

Anyway, great work as usual. I love the castle of horrors.
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    P3nT4gR4m said:

Shit is amazing dude, I'm totally gonna start working on fabricating VR landscapes to use with Unreal now that they've made it easier! 

"Shut up, Wesley!" - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

DeadlyJoe said:
    Er... what kind of anatomy? Please tell me that's a typo. Lol.

Anyway, great work as usual. I love the castle of horrors.
    Haha, totally forgot the internet had changed the meaning of that word. Showing my age
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    @P3nT4gR4m awesome work with UE4! 

How did you find the new decimation export from Medium into UE4? I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Decimation does what it says on the tin. North of 50k tris can be a bit hit and miss in engine with seam artifacts creeping into the normal maps and I'm getting much better results letting unreal merge the meshes but first impressions are good. No mess, no fuss, just import, hook up the materials and you're good to go. 
    So I downloaded the Steve Lord Head sculpt shortly after it was shared and I loaded it up and had a look and, as expected, it made me weep in my rift a little cos all the anatomy is just so beautiful and perfect and here was me thinking I had faces pretty well sussed :s

So tonight I figured, what the hell, lets use this for it's stated purpose and go blast some folds and wrinkles on it... 

Reve-f'kin-lation!

So I only just recently graduated myself to folds and wrinkles on account of the thinking I had faces pretty well sussed thing but, until now I've been scribbling my fine details on my own (unbeknowns to me) totally substandard underlying geometry and, as such it's been an uphill battle trying to get it all working. 

So I loaded up Mr Lord's bust and, holy crap, because everything is in the proper place and the proper shape, to boot, finding the way the lines flow becomes almost intuitive, although I did use a reference of Willem Dafoe staring enigmatically toward camera just to keep me on track.

Even better than this was the boost to my anatomy skills from having all the bits I was doing wrong literally waved in my face. I could feel my ignorance melting away with every passing second. I'd advise anyone who wants to up their sculpting heads-game to totally use this.

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    edited May 2017
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    K, so right now the plan is to spend the whole entire rest of my life dedicated to sculpting wrinkles on this model. 

Lol. Now you know what I was going through with those lizards. It feels like it'll never get done. We really need normal-map brushes for detailing -- right now that's my #1 request for the Medium devs, if they're reading this. 

Yeah, I feel you on those alphas but what I meant was I'm actually enjoying this so much. I don't think I could get anywhere near this effect if I wasn't doing the laugh lines one at a time. The pores and bumps, on the other hand - hells yeah, gimme alphas, like now!!!
    I was also inspired by that tutorial, thought it was great! :) Working on a wrinkly sculpt of my own but it's taking ages! Running into the same problem as @DeadlyJoe :p
    Cycles render

Having another go at Crowley with references this time. Is better than the last attempt I think but still off by a mile. 

So far the last while I've been doing portraits and anatomy studies which takes it out me. It's much more frustrating and can be a bit of a buzzkill but the way I see it, no pain no gain, right? Still, I had to let off some steam today and get back into the fun zone before I put myself off for life. Think I still have the fight thread in my mind, this little guy definitely looks like he's spoiling.

Back to anatomy practice. Blocking in from memory as much as I could, then pulled up a ref to finish off. I've got a fair bit of the torso  and upper arms committed to memory now. Head was just a mess about with expression, rather than any serious attempt to learn anything.

So the fun thing about anatomy for me is that the more I learn, the more a know how to build things out of biology. Even things that don't exist, like a skull with one eye socket. It's a good laugh to mix it up and figure out how a cyclops might be wired together.

I've given him two eyebrows, though, because most cyclopses (cyclopi?) I've seen have one and I'm thinking that might limit your options when it comes to expressions. 

Beak came out great! You always get the eyes perfect too!
    Thanks dude. Eyes are easy to me, dunno why. Used to be the same with photoshop. Got to a stage years back where I had to force myself to leave the eyes blocked in until the rest of the face was done or else the rest of the face just plain never got done.

Now that I'm into sculpting I'm finding I need to apply the same formula. If I detail the eyes too soon I lose motivation to do the rest. It's like something in my subconscious is saying, "Yeah, it's looking at me now, mission accomplished" 

Case in point. Note how level of detail is inversely proportional to distance from eyes. This was not a stylistic choice, I just lost interest once I had the eyes sorted.

Bit more work on depressed looking sheep-dude

Another pile of complete mental. I blame the heat. Is cooking my brain!

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    That can't be comfortable.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV