cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR Guitar

Bankie
Explorer
Not really a WIP, nor a complete project - just an experiment I worked on over a couple of days with Unity 3D. Surprisingly little code was required to make this work - most of the time was spent thinking through the controls to make the guitar easy to play and mucking around with a bunch of free graphical assets from the Unity Asset Store to fill out the scene. The samples were recorded by myself with my Variax guitar and Native Instrument's Guitar Rig. It has 2 sets of 13 samples: power chords from lowest E to 12th fret E. Same thing for dampened power chords, switching controlled by the left hand-trigger.

https://youtu.be/qNNES81EIm8
5 REPLIES 5

AQfumes
Adventurer
That's really cool, man! I'd been waiting for someone to design something like this using Unity. Why Native Instruments themselves still haven't tried creating programs like this for VR is beyond me. The amount of applications that could be used with other instruments as well is pretty vast. 

Just off the top of my head a drum machine could make good use with the Touch controllers, with being able to push buttons and turn knobs. A turntable(s) could be used for scratching and mixing mp3s from your PCs hard drive.

Then if you add multiplayer a real VR band could be created - Haha.

Excellent work dude! Keep it up. 

Amphetamine
Adventurer
That's cool 😄

Was expecting a guitar smash at the end though, so not quite rock'nroll enough yet 😜

Bankie
Explorer

AQfumes said:

That's really cool, man! I'd been waiting for someone to design something like this using Unity. Why Native Instruments themselves still haven't tried creating programs like this for VR is beyond me. The amount of applications that could be used with other instruments as well is pretty vast. 

Just off the top of my head a drum machine could make good use with the Touch controllers, with being able to push buttons and turn knobs. A turntable(s) could be used for scratching and mixing mp3s from your PCs hard drive.

Then if you add multiplayer a real VR band could be created - Haha.

Excellent work dude! Keep it up. 

A drum machine would definitely be good. Alas, a VR band is not possible without some serious limitations caused by network lag (I do realise that comment wasn't completely serious).

Regarding NI doing a VR instrument, I'm not sure it's their forté and not enough of their customer base will be using VR to make it profitable. Maybe the first serious step would be for someone to create a midi controller which makes use of things like Touch. This could then inspire musicians into the VR space and breed new types of synths and emulated instruments.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Bankie
 that looks like a lot of fun, good work mate. 
Are you planning on making your work available?

Bankie
Explorer

dft69dg said:

@Bankie
 that looks like a lot of fun, good work mate. 
Are you planning on making your work available?

Thanks. I hadn't considered doing anything with it at this point. Anyone having a go would probably find it a 10 minute distraction rather than something they'd go back to, so I'm not sure it's worthwhile. I'll decide what I want to do with it soon.