New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

14567810»

Comments

• HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 326
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Indeed we all look forward to that.

About the black screen on the sides, hmm not sure. If I explain it as ..imagine you are using a virtual theatre to play the game. It's sort of 3D though just on a large screen in front of you. If you look around to the sides you can see the theatre setting /environment. That is what Morrowift is like for me. It's a big virtual screen that until you turn left or right and you see the edges which only appears black space. It does not happen every time looking to the side, though I can see it often.

Is this just the nature of the way this mod/hack works? It's sort of a pseudo 3D/VR ?

• superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    That's odd-- if the game isn't frozen while it's doing that and you can maintain it that way (i.e. moving forward while looking left), it's possible that something is getting in the way of the game matrix detection and drawing the game itself onto the Menu screen I have set up. It's supposed to work like it does in the video, where the menu and hud is floating like that but the rest of the game is 360 degrees around your head and properly projected. Do you have any other overlays or shader mods with MGE? Could you possibly get a screenshot of the game window while it's doing this?
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    I tried playing this evening and I did not notice that issue again - I will keep testing.

IN the meantime, I was disappointed to find that the game did not recognize Xinput attempts from Xpadder. Is this a design limitation? I really want to play with a game pad over mouse and keyboard.

Also did you state previously that there is a visual glitch where if you look at the sky (or above horizon) it can sometimes cause visual distortion/missing textures?
    Art3mis
    You might need to use Joy2Key since the original game's input code is used and it only supports actual keyboard input rather than Xinput. I've seen various visual glitches like that but most of the time they can be fixed by messing with MGE settings-- but if you can get a screenshot or video of it happening I might be able to understand more about what's happening.
    Trinity
    The glitch is ..first seen when you get out of the starting portion(setting up class, speaking to the guard etc) and you're standing in mid village. If you face a building the start looking towards the sky, while panning your headset left or right, the base of the buildings lose their texture and instead are almost erased in realtime with what looks like a sky texture remaining behind. It draws/follows your camera movement.

Actually Xinput maybe wrong to state because Xpadder is only emulating keystrokes. Looking on Google, lots of hits about people using Xpadder without issues. It's not Morrowrift causing it, will have to investigate.
    Art3mis
    I'd try using Xpadder with vanilla Morrowind-- if it works in vanilla then it is possible something in Morrowrift or the Oculus runtimes is stopping it from working and I'll have to do some testing. As for the texture bug-- I thought I fixed that but try turning on the FPS counter in MGEgui (this resets some texture flags that were broken). If that still doesn't fix it it may be something I'll have to try to reproduce-- I haven't actually tested Morrowrift with current runtimes in a while so there may be some new things going on. Alternatively, some screenshots of your MGE settings might help me pinpoint what's causing it.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Vanilla as in without MGE or with MGE? I wondered if MGE was the culprit.

MGEgui setttings : https://s29.postimg.org/ul1wkk407/MGE.png
  • sluggycakesluggycake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I wanted to try this out, but it looks like the google drive download link is no longer working

"Sorry, this file is infected with a virus

Only the owner is allowed to download infected files."

Art3mis
    Lol what, that's weird. Some scanners see that Morrowrift.exe patches another process which is considered potential malware activity, but I didn't think they could see through a password-protected zip. Here's another link where I zipped the zip inside a zip:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sSWJOcjNyR09LSFU/view?usp=sharing
    both passwords are still "uh".
    I'll have to figure out how other overlays inject their DLL's at some point and figure out how to stop antiviruses from thinking it's malware.

Anyway, I think checking "show fps" on the Morrowind.ini tab might stop the texture flickering, but I'm not sure why that came back after I fixed the texture flags.
    Trinity

I would not call it flickering, as it happens in a drawing way, it's smooth.

I tried Controller Companion which did respond in the game menu properly (e.g. the right analog acted as mouse cursor) however in game, no matter what function I assign the analog sticks, the game treats them both the same and limits the movement to panning camera left and right.

So, onto another solution ..maybe.
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    Would this actually work with other games like Skyrim?
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    If the controller works properly in the menu, it should also work in-game... there is an auto-leveller to keep the in-game ground level with the ground in real life, which makes it look like the camera isn't moving vertically, but actually the floating menu containing the HUD and Crosshair does move up and down independently of the camera. The intent is to decouple the crosshair from headtracking, so you can aim in-game at something different from what you're looking at. The alternative resulted in a lot of weird vertigo since you could essentially rotate the entire world with the mouse. If you're having trouble locating the crosshair I'd recommend trying a crosshair replacement mod, though eventually I'm hoping to add an easier-to-see crosshair right into Morrowrift.

And yes, this technology could be adapted to eventually work with other games, which is my eventual goal, but for now it's only working with Morrowind.
  • JimWashJimWash Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Love that this is a thing. Any progress on getting it to run on a Vive or revive? Even without motion controls would love to play in VR. 
    Art3mis
    Just checking in to say I'm still alive and the project is still on my mind, but my work situation unfortunately leaves me almost completely unable to work on complicated hobby projects like this at the moment. We're hoping to get more help at work soon though so I might be able to make some progress later this year.
  • dirtythekiddirtythekid Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Any news on the Morrowrift front? Hope all is going well for you at work and you can squeeze in some hobby time soon  B)
  • ptisingeptisinge Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    No problem superllama, take your time. I'll be happy if you ever get this working. I can certainly relate - I've had a look a implementing something similar for Wings over Flanders Fields (and thanks a lot for the tips about how to get started on that) and have spent a lot of time researching and trying things for very little concrete progress. Now I'm just dreaming of adding VR code natively to a dx11 game instead.
  • tboneandnoodlestboneandnoodles Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Love that you're doing this and I'm excited to see the progress.

When trying to load morrowrift.exe (all exe's are running as admin) it opens up a window then closes immediately.  I was able to run MGE 3.8.0 fine and resolutions I provide seem to work ok.  I am able to load up the game from the launcher, and from morrowind.exe.  For whatever reason morrowrift.exe just crashes.  I'm on a CV1, and here's my program flow output:

000000: Program Started
    000000: Computer Name: tbone
    000000: Creating Windows
    000000: Begin loading of archive header and invalidation of archived files
    000000: Finished with header loading and invalidation
    000000: Initializing Main
    000000: Video adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (22.21.13.8253)
    000103: Creating Scene
    000103: Loading Master/Plugin
    000408: Done Loading Master/Plugin
    000408: Done Creating Scene
    000409: Done Initalizing Main

Here's my MGE settings.  I've tried a number of options based on reading the entire thread:

Art3mis
    This debug version https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-senRPclpEbTEtYzA/view password "debug" might give some more information on what's going on, at least as to where Morrowrift.exe crashes. If you're seeing the MGE message in the top left corner then it's probably not a problem with MGE at least... do you know if that Program Flow file is created even when running Morrowrift.exe or just when you run Morrowind/Launcher without it?

You could probably try deleting the Program Flow log and running Morrowrift one more time, and see if it creates a new Program Flow. Since Morrowrift is creating a window and then crashing it's possible that the injection is working (i.e. the debug version won't give you any useful error messages) but the DLL is crashing somewhere after starting Morrowind... if that is the case my suspicion would be that it might have something to do with the Oculus Runtimes. I'll give it a try on my system soon and make sure everything's still working with the latest versions of everything.
  • cercatacercata Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    OMG, this is too good to be true !!!!! It's stable ? What's the best version, the one in the first post from June 2016 ?

Anyone had it working with the 360 Pad ?
    I have been playing to Skyrim VR with the Dualshock 4 and I love it !!! 30h in a week
    Art3mis
    edited November 2017
    As far as I know that version still works, but it's been a while since I tested it with the latest Oculus runtimes. Last time I played it it was fairly stable but had some minor glitches. It doesn't have any built-in support for the 360 controller but you can use something like Joy2Key to make it work. One of these days I'm going to set things up again and test it out again and see if I can fix more bugs but things at work keep getting busy just when I think they're starting to slow down again.
    Art3mis
    edited January 2018
    Quick update-- I did finally get a chance to test the current build again and it does still work with the current runtimes, but for some reason I couldn't get the Recentering button to work. I'm not sure why since it only uses Windows API's to detect the key press, but I guess a Windows 10 update might be to blame somehow? If other people have this issue I will try and devote some time to fixing it, but I'm still not currently in a position to work very much on this project aside from small bugfixes unfortunately.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 5,003 Valuable Player
    How is this running at the moment?
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    Hi. When I run the MorrowRift EXE, the game starts up normally, and the headset tells me it's loading, but it never loads into the headset.
    In fact, no tracking of any kind can be seen in the game.

Currently using Core 2.0, 1.32
    Art3mis
    My assumption is that using OpenVR for this would mean compatibility with newer Rift versions, though I'm not sure.
    It might be because I'm on what appears to be the GOG version of the GOTY edition
    Art3mis
    Nevermind, got it working, I was being a dumbass and thought I had to test without MGE first
  • Ludov1ciLudov1ci Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Anyone still around? Trying to get this to work, been playing around with it for a few hours. I can finally get Morrowrift.exe to launch, but it launches the Bethesda launcher, and if I hit "play" it only launches on my desktop screen. I hear the music in VR, but no game. I've set all the .exes to open as administrator. Thanks.
  • william_moranwilliam_moran Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm also trying to get this to run in VR and hitting a snag. The game launches just fine, but I can only access it in "VR" through the virtual desktop. So I can play it on a flat floating window in VR, but not actually as VR. Not sure if related or something else entirely, but the game froze my desktop when I tried to exit the game in the virtual desktop.
  • AkupernogAkupernog Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 24
    • Mads Buvik Sandvei, aka Foal, is working on a very interesting feature, namely support for VR in OpenMW. He has shown great progress already. You can follow his progress on his merge request gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/-/merge_requests/251