New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• Wow, looks incredible. Cannot wait.
  • superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    Here's a picture of the WIP interface to the new DLL -- it's not much right now but you can see how it uses a non-distorted game window with a rift version on the extended screen, and how it properly rotates menus now instead of distorting the background and only rotating the text. I was holding right shift while I took the picture, which opens the hacker tool (currently nonfunctional but I'm working on it). "Scan Matrices" will show you a list of matrices used to draw the frame, and allow you to classify them as hud matrices and stuff. Similar options will exist for Vertex Shader floats so you can identify matrices that go into those and transform them as needed, etc. Don't worry though, you won't have to do any of this with Morrowind since I'll have a profile already prepared for it.

http://i.imgur.com/kdZiAQO.jpg
  • Hello, good work, i really love morrowind, it is my best game ever and whole TES serie. I hope all will go well and do not give up. I keep my fingers crossed. ;)
  • Please don't give up! This looks amazing!
    Art3mis
    Just got the manual selection of HUD matrices working. Progress is going slow because of finals and everything, but it should pick up in a few weeks.
    Art3mis
    edited January 2014
    Sorry for the long delay. When I'm the last person to have posted anything, I generally wait for someone else to post before I post again unless I have major progress to report. I've been getting a few PM's asking about it (not sure why people don't just post in the thread and ask, but whatever) so I thought I might as well post about the current status of my wrapper.
    Basically, I was trying before to spoof Direct3D9 calls into Direct3D9Ex calls, which allows texture sharing between the monitor and the rift, and allows multithreaded headtracking even when the game isn't rendering as fast as it should. As it turns out, 90% of games hate this and I can't for the life of me figure out why-- all they do is just stop or not even start, no error messages, etc, nothing to debug. I've been battling this for about a month-- so far the only games I've been able to do this with successfully are Morrowind and Audiosurf... so I've decided to just take that out and make it an optional feature sometime in the future. So as soon as I get the code cleaned up a bit and finally have Skyrim drawing in two oculus eye views, then I'll work on stereo separation and fov hacking and that sort of stuff and then it will be able to replace the beta dll, and then I'll continue adding features so more games can be supported, etc.
  • Don`t give up. You`re doing good and we`re all waiting to see how it goes.
  • PD333PD333 Posts: 6
    I just stumbled onto this thread, and I'm so glad I did! superllama, It's really appreciated all the hard work you're putting in. Morrowind is such a favorite of a lot of people, it will be awesome to play on the rift, ESPECIALLY with stereo separation. Please keep up the good work :D
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Great to hear you're still working with it.

Any news about the disable of vertical mouse movement in Morrowind? It works now well enough when turning the vertical sensitivity to minimum and horizontal to maximum, but a real fix would be great.
    And one other thing would be that resetting the view with Pause/Break centers everything. Wouldn't it be better if it resets just the horizontal drifting?
    Art3mis
    The pause/break recentering is just a personal preference of mine because I have back problems and sometimes I like to play games laying down-- because of the way headtracking works in my beta dll, it's actually possible to lay on your back and look at the ceiling and have that be "forward" ingame. This will be configurable in the new dll when I do finally get it working-- same goes for vertical mouse movement. Sorry for the large amount of time I've spent without uploading anything-- if it gets to the point where the new dll might not be feasible I'll just go back to working with the d3d8 dll and adding features that way, but I did want to try to also support skyrim and other games through a heavily configurable d3d9 wrapper if I can.
  • I gotta say, this is brilliant. Where or how did you get started? where are your sources for programming like this?

I am so impressed with the HUD layout. However, I gotta admit I keep having to press pause break because my crosshair gets lost behind my head.
    Art3mis
    For the beta dll I just downloaded the MGE source code and hooked some code into it to make it work with the rift. Not sure what you mean by "programming like this" though.

That's weird that you're having trouble with drifting-- I never saw that happen when I was using it because of magnetic yaw correction but I guess your environment might be different than mine. Eventually in the new dll there will be a setting to aim the crosshair with your head when not in a menu instead of having the forward position decouple from the view.

As for progress with the new dll I'm afraid there's still little to report. I've had a lot of classwork to deal with and I also haven't been feeling well for the past month or so, so I spend most of my time studying and resting. I did start to take the D3D9Ex thing out of it though, it shouldn't be too long until I can get it drawing the way it was before on all games instead of just one.
    Art3mis
    Very sorry for the nothingness. Class this semester is killer and I just don't have the energy to do something this complicated for some reason. Once midterms are over I might get a break but I can't really promise that I'll have time until May... again very sorry about this nonexistence I've been doing, right now I'm having some crazy problems with stress and trying to just make it from day to day is difficult enough. Even though I do have some free time, I have to spend it actively de-stressing or else it just builds up. I'll keep you posted if anything improves.
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    no worries, take some well deserved R&R after school - read a book, watch movies.
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
  • Love the project. However, I do not get it working.

I downloaded your Beta-dll and copied it into the morrowind folder. I use a heavily modded morrowind (with MGE) and first I thought that I got the wrong MGE version or a mod conflict. So, I made a fresh installation of morrowind with both addons (via Steam). Then I downloaded the MGE 3.8.0 version from the Morrowind Nexus (and later from the official homepage), copied your dll and started the game. Sadly, nothing happens. The game runs just like the normal game without any graphical changes (no stereo mode) or response from the oculus rift.

Here's my question: Do I need a keyboard shortcut to activate the oculus rift mode? Is there a setting in MGE that is needed to activate it? I don't know what could have gone wrong.
    Art3mis
    Are you running it through steam, or from the Morrowind.exe file? As I recall it was kind of an ordeal to make MGE work with steam in the first place, but theoretically if you have MGE working then you should be able to replace their d3d8 with mine and it should work. Where are you putting the dll, and does a d3d8.dll already exist there? The way it's supposed to work is the already-present d3d8.dll from MGE needs to be moved or renamed and then my modded d3d8.dll needs to be put in its place.
    EDIT: also no, there's no action necessary to activate it once it's been installed. the only keybinding is the pause key for recentering headtracking.
  • TaylooorTaylooor Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hey Llama, I'm an equally avid rift enthusiast and TES player. Playing morrowind in vr has been my dream for a few years. I'm very excited for the progress made here. I'd consider this more playable than skyrim simply because the menus are actually readable. Looking forward to future updates for Morrowind and other scrolls games. I'm sure you are aware of issues in the mod but I'd be happy to give feedback if you are interested. Thanks again, T
  • TaylooorTaylooor Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Also, I was wondering if I'd set things up right. Within MGE, I've got it set to 1200x800. But what about the other in game menus that allow changing of the resolution. I've noticed that I can see a lot of black on the sides, making me think it's been forced into 768p or something. Also the warping feels odd and not sure if that's a resolution thing also. I'm not a modder so have no technical abilities, can only try to relate my experience playing.
  • Its a big chalenge to addapt Morowind in the Rift ! I will follow it and I wish you good luck! ;)
  • AxelBernadotteAxelBernadotte Posts: 194
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just bought it on sale. Looking forward to this:)
  • JonathanVBJonathanVB Posts: 47
    Just stumbled onto this and thought I'd say congrats - this is the way rift support should be hacked into games, not the slaving the rift to the mouse as we see on commercial products. Looking forward to this when I get my rift.
    Art3mis
    Hope the beta dll is still working for everybody. I'm afraid it's the best I can do for a while, I've had a really busy summer with lots of work and dealing with lots of illness too... I'm probably just going to give up on the d3d9 master dll because it's just too much trouble getting it to work with multiple games... if I do anything I'll probably fix the crosshair bug since that's the main thing getting in the way of gameplay right now, and try to have a setting for vertical aim to be only via headtracking, or something. I might also hack oblivion or skyrim individually in the future but really my enthusiasm for oculus has died down greatly due to the facebook purchase making a dent in the community and the fact that my DK1 is now outdated and old, and I have important irl stuff I need to do to make a living and pay for school and stuff, so unpaid hobbies have to take a back seat. The other reason I don't work on it often is I switched to Linux, and ofc wine can't handle MGE. I'm planning on getting some sort of virtualized windows os up and running at some point though so maybe it will work in there.
    superllama wrote:
    I'll probably fix the crosshair bug since that's the main thing getting in the way of gameplay right now, and try to have a setting for vertical aim to be only via headtracking
    Awesome to hear, looking forward for that. And yeah, the dll is still working for me.

Like people have said, this is the way old games should handle the Rift support and you've done a perfect job. But still, it's just video games and entertainment. Getting your irl stuff in order is more important and there's still a long time before the consumer version hits so no need stress yourself with these Rift projects.
  • TWhiteTWhite Posts: 363
    I just wanna say, you truly are a hero. It's like you jumped into my brain and picked out all the little things I look forward to in a VR injection mod for a non-VR game. Really, amazing work superllama. I don't have a Rift myself but I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the work you're doing here.
    CPU: i7 3770k 4.6Ghz
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780
    Art3mis
    TWhite wrote:
    I just wanna say, you truly are a hero. It's like you jumped into my brain and picked out all the little things I look forward to in a VR injection mod for a non-VR game. Really, amazing work superllama. I don't have a Rift myself but I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the work you're doing here.
    Thanks, I appreciate your support. I've always felt that non-VR games should work as if the original game is still intact but is being played on a giant 3D screen that wraps around your entire room-- which is the feeling I tried to achieve with morrowrift. I really wish I had the time and drive to make it work even better, or to hack other games the same way, but it's unfortunately not worth the effort at this point in my life, especially with my old DK1-- if I had a DK2 I could add positional tracking support and stuff too-- I just can't imagine how epic that would be to be able to lean closer to the HUD to read it, and also to peek around corners, not to mention the better resolution and display... but alas, 'tis but a fantasy...
  • dirtythekiddirtythekid Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Any chance of getting the source code for the work you've already completed? I just got my DK2 and I'm dying to play Morrowind with it and this seems like a fun thing to fiddle around with. Way over my head, but I shall fiddle nonetheless.
    I was a bit bored and took another look at this. I got a good idea: I could edit Morrowinds files and see if I'd find options for mouse sensitivities. Turns out it was a bit harder, I had to go to regedit but there I found the Mouse Sensitivity values. Good thing was that it's only for Vertical movement, there was another value for "Horizontal Sensitivity".
    So I changed the vertical value to 0 and it worked! I could play Morrowrift and move my mouse as much as I want and the view can be changed vertically only with the Rift.

But then I noticed that I can't pick anything up unless it's on my eye-level :D

Hopefully 2015 is a good year for VR
  • kevingullingkevingulling Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    This was a great idea, too bad it kinda died... I can't get the beta dll to work with the DK2 :(
  • I got this to work with the DK2. You have to make the resolution 948x1080 and make the oculus the primary display. Now my only problem is head tracking doesn't work. I'm begging one of you to find or make a DK2 headtracking support for morrowind. I will love you forever
  • dirtythekiddirtythekid Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    What version of MGE did you use to get this working? I've tried MGE and MGE XE, but I can't seem to get either to display in stereo. Using a DK2 btw, and it's great new that you got it up and running Orbital.

If you could do a simple step-by-step, I'd appreciate it. Morrowind modding has always been a cruel mistress for me.