New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• HeadClotHeadClot Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why are you not coding this for Open MW?

https://openmw.org/en/
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    I got this to work with the DK2. You have to make the resolution 948x1080 and make the oculus the primary display. Now my only problem is head tracking doesn't work. I'm begging one of you to find or make a DK2 headtracking support for morrowind. I will love you forever
    Really? That's nice.

I guess you could try something like FreeTrack and then bind Oculus Rift to mouse movement. Other than that the only solution is to get Superllama to work with this again :D
  • superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    HeadClot wrote:
    Why are you not coding this for Open MW?

https://openmw.org/en/
    Because OpenMW is nowhere near finished yet?
    Ananas wrote:
    I got this to work with the DK2. You have to make the resolution 948x1080 and make the oculus the primary display. Now my only problem is head tracking doesn't work. I'm begging one of you to find or make a DK2 headtracking support for morrowind. I will love you forever
    Really? That's nice.

I guess you could try something like FreeTrack and then bind Oculus Rift to mouse movement. Other than that the only solution is to get Superllama to work with this again :D

I would love to, but I don't have a DK2. As soon as I get one though, I'm planning on finishing this. Like I edited the OP to say-- the main reason I stopped with this was because the DK2 came out I didn't have one, so there was little point in doing anything more with my old DK1. The other reason was because I had a major spine infection-- that's all healed now though so I'm hoping to get back into VR modding as soon as I can afford a DK2.
    What version of MGE did you use to get this working? I've tried MGE and MGE XE, but I can't seem to get either to display in stereo. Using a DK2 btw, and it's great new that you got it up and running Orbital.

It's 3.8.0-- it says so somewhere in my unnecessarily long original post.
  • SuperLlama,

The only thing I live for is Morrowind, and if the only thing preventing you developing a DK2 version of your mod, then I would be happy to donate money to your cause, I think everyone coming here seeking for the same answers as me would be. You should set up a paypal account and link it here so we can all make contributions and make our Morrowind DK2 Dream a reality. I throw money at shitty experiences everyday with no return, I would much rather be in Vvardenfell.
    Art3mis
    That would help a lot actually-- I still have a paypal account from when I made Runecraft back in 2010.
    [email protected] is the address; if you guys can raise about $200 or so towards a DK2, I'll buy one right away and finish this mod correctly. It's definitely not that I don't want to finish it, I'm just on a tight budget this year and can't afford anything big that I don't really need, and there's really no point in finishing the DK1 version anymore. I was originally just going to wait until I could get a consumer rift, but if you want to speed things up and get it done sooner I'm definitely willing to cooperate. I might even try building a version for MGEXE, though I can't say for sure how well that would work without trying it first. I'll also see what I can do about the annoying Pitch issue so you don't have to hack your mouse sensitivity and stuff :P
  • Hey SuperLlama, glad you replied.

As soon as I have a spare $200 I will send it to you, provided you remain on board with supporting Morrowind with VR! You are the only talented dedicated VR developer for Morrowind I know of, so it would be a sad day for the Morrowind community if we were to loose you. Give me at-least a month or two to get you that $200 USD.

Do you have a facebook or a Skype or anything so I can stay in contact with you SuperLlama? I'm actually developing a VR commercial product myself you may be interested in also, an entertainment enclosure the user sits inside of and plays video games in.

Send me a Private Message to my Oculus Forum account and I will add you on either Skype or Facebook.

Cheers dude!
  • Hey SuperLlama,

Just wanted to inform you that I have just sent you $200 USD to continue this project. The funds were raised by Myself, and two friends, Walter Parsons and Marc Hansen, so please, I can't accept all the credit.

I too am working on a VR project and know just how limited funds can hinder an entire project. The only time I stop to play video games is playing Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, but only you can provide the adequate VR support it needs to keep the greatest video game universe ever created alive.

I humbly request that you can keep us updated with regular posts to this page for all the other Morrowind fans to see!

You will have my continued support for the lifetime of this project.

Thank you for all your work so far, and in advance for what you are able create with the new DK2. Can't wait to see what you can do!
    Art3mis
    Awesome!! Thank your friends for me too, I can't wait to get started! As soon as my DK2 gets here you can expect regular posts on my progress :D
    Art3mis
    Oculus said they've got the order in a box and it's awaiting shipping. Not sure how long it'll take to ship or to get here but it's a start :)
    EDIT: it should be here monday
  • TrapTrap Posts: 32
    awesome ! :o
    Art3mis
    It's here! Problem is my Windows 7 Laptop refuses to run Direct mode and lags severely on Extended mode, meanwhile my Windows 10 Desktop obviously won't run it either. I'm working on trying to get Windows 7 installed temporarily on my Desktop but I'm having some issues with GPT's right now, hopefully I'll have it fixed soon.
    EDIT: trying some hacker stuff like extracting win7 wim images manually since the 7 installer won't run on 10... sigh I wish they'd just properly support windows 10 already
    Art3mis
    Good news is I got the rift working on a Windows 7 partition.

Bad news is that Oculus is evil and apparently discontinued support for DirectX 9 with the DevKit 2. This means I'll have to mod MGE to use DX11 instead of DX9... currently considering making a drop-in d3d9.dll, which is to MGE what MGE is to Morrowind-- converts it up to a different directx version and adds extra features (in this case VR support). One benefit of doing that as opposed to simply porting MGE is it could probably be used as a base to eventually VR-ify Skyrim, too. I'll keep you guys posted on progress. I'm not going to let Oculus decide which games can run on their headset and which ones can't.

EDIT: Made a DLL which at least gets through the adapter enumeration and displays a messagebox saying it's pretending to create a Device. Now to make it actually create a Device.

EDIT 2: Got it creating a device, working on vertex buffers and textures now. Shouldn't be too long til it can render a frame, hopefully.
  • n00854180tn00854180t Posts: 323
    @superllama - Keep up the good work man, I can't wait to play Morrowind on the DK2.

As soon as you post your first release I plan on donating $30.
    Storyteller: Fireside Tales - An immersive VR audiobook player.

The VR Dungeon Survival Project - First person 3D roguelite survival game.

Twitter
    IndieDB
    Amazing news, thanks jameswards!

Good to hear you got it working superllama. It sucks how much Oculus restricts the use of DirectX's but on the other hand it's understandable for it all to work perfectly. Also it's nice if you can make it work with DX11 because it'll probably work with the consumer Rift as well.
  • MoeCappMoeCapp Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    I hope this project is going OK!
  • Lupus_SolusLupus_Solus Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    Really excited for this - please keep up the good work! :)
    Lupus Solus - Lone developer of Push For Emor
    Push For Emor: http://www.pushforemor.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/pushforemor
    Art3mis
    Sorry for the lack of updates in the past week or two. I just moved to a new state so I've been a little too busy to do anything with this, but I'm settled in now and will probably resume in the next few days.
  • Lupus_SolusLupus_Solus Posts: 79 Oculus Start Member
    Good to hear! :D
    Lupus Solus - Lone developer of Push For Emor
    Push For Emor: http://www.pushforemor.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/pushforemor
  • JeppeJeppe Posts: 34
    I'm also extremely excited by this. Morrowind is one of those few games that is more like another world than just a game in my opinion. I think the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series are probably the only other games that has given me the same sense of wonder.

Thanks A LOT for working on this, I'd be happy to help with beta testing or similar stuff if you need!
  • this dont work. i put the dll in my morrowind folder but every time i start the game its just normal no oculus nothin .,
  • MoeCappMoeCapp Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    pognivet wrote:
    this dont work. i put the dll in my morrowind folder but every time i start the game its just normal no oculus nothin .,

Pretty sure the only download up right now is for the old DK1 version, I don't believe there's one available yet for DK2.
    Art3mis
    MoeCapp wrote:
    Pretty sure the only download up right now is for the old DK1 version, I don't believe there's one available yet for DK2.

That's correct-- I just edited the OP to make that more clear.

As soon as my responsibilities at work settle down a little I'm planning on taking some more time to finish my DK9->11 wrapper and once that works, turning it into a DK2 Morrowrift should be fairly simple. It's still a really lengthy process though :/
  • hellionhellion Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    can not wait to try it... i would install the new version back on to try even ;)
    Art3mis
    Good news-- thanks to the recent SDK update I finally have my DK2 working on my primary Windows 10 partition, which will make it a lot easier for me to work on this in shorter bursts instead of having to wait for a day when I have nothing else (which hasn't happened in a month...). Hopefully I'll have it actually rendering something soon but I still don't have an ETA because of everything else going on in my life. Really sorry for having to put this on the backburner a little bit, I haven't forgotten about it.
    superllama wrote:
    I still don't have an ETA because of everything else going on in my life. Really sorry for having to put this on the backburner a little bit, I haven't forgotten about it.
    No problems. No one is forcing you to work 24/7, take your time. ETAs are pretty useless because almost always you don't make it and it just causes more stress. Just keep us updated every now and then with the progress. ;)
    Also good to hear about the SDK update.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,023 Valuable Player
    Thanks for working on this, fantastic work. Morrowind is one of my favourites, really looking forward to trying this out once I get my VR gear sorted out next year. Brilliant stuff.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Art3mis
    Technical update:

Finally got Vertex Buffers to lock and map and stuff, but I still can't render a full frame because for some reason, Morrowind.exe is calling Texture->GetPriority, which is calling MGE's wrapper which passes through to DX9, and DX11 doesn't have an equivalent function for me to call so I just tried returning 1, which somehow corrupted the stack... I have no idea how it's corrupting the stack since it seems fine before it gets to the DLL call, but after it exits, the ESP register is 4 bytes behind where it was when it called the function. If I then increase it by 4 manually it will go on for a while, but I can't code that into the function without ridiculous assembly hacking and I'd rather figure out what's *actually* wrong with it. So basically I've been wrestling with visual studio for the last hour or two trying to make it build a function that doesn't corrupt the stack but haven't had much luck. Hopefully I'll figure this out eventually...

It might end up coming down to just waiting for Oculus to release Extended Mode support for Windows 10, then I'll just do it with DX9 normally and not try to make a DX11 wrapper. DX10/11 is way more different from 9 than 9 was from 8.
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Extended mode will never return! It was a development dead end and Oculus has chosen to remove it from its SDK and runtime.

Edit: superllama, you should really get in touch with programmer scawen (Live for Speed) or komat (Euro Truck Simulator 2). Both of these guys managed to get their DX9 based games running greatly on DK2. And I think the key is DX9Ex. But you better ask them directly. Writing a wrapper for DX11 is probably unnecessary.
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Art3mis
    hmm... I had considered using D3D9Ex to receive the two rendertargets and then share them over to DX11 and render them with the oculus that way, maybe that's what ETS2 and LFS do? It's worth a shot at least since I'm sure wrapping d3d9->d3d9ex is a simpler task than d3d9->d3d11. Thanks for the nudge in that direction. If I can't figure it out myself I'll definitely ask the LFS or ETS2 devs how they did it.
    Yeah ask ETS2 devs, they seem to be in good connection with the community and might be happy to help