New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    So I made some progress with a D3D9->D3D9Ex wrapper (which would then be able to share textures with D3D11 and render to the rift) but it crashes when the game tries to call D3DXCreateSprite. I'm guessing there's some internal thing baked into d3dx that I'm not doing right so I'll either have to make a D3DX wrapper too, or debug the disassembly... or find some other way, I don't know.

EDIT: Turns out it was really easy to just make a fake d3dx9 passthrough that returns 1 on CreateSprite and CreateFont which tells MGE to just not use them. For now that'll work but eventually I'll have to actually make my own replacements for D3DXSprite and D3DXFont in order to have full MGE support, though luckily those classes aren't all that complicated.

EDIT 2: It's working! Well, sort of. The menu works, it's loading the game, drawing the first frame, then it crashes on D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx because it's not designed to work with D3D9Ex. So I'll just have to replace it again like I did CreateSprite and CreateFont.

EDIT 3: YES!!! Managed to wrap d3d9.dll and d3d9x_43.dll so that MGE AND MGE XE are now creating D3D9Ex devices instead of D3D9 devices and rendering everything correctly! :D
    What this means is, if all else goes well, I should be able to replace the game's RenderTarget with a texture that's shared into D3D11, and we'll have true DK2 support!
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Glad I could help. :) And yes, now that you mention it I think the aforementioned DX9 guys wrote somewhere that they rendered the whole frame to a texture in order to hand it over to DX11.
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Art3mis
    Made a ridiculous amount of progress today (sadly at the expense of homework that I should've done... heh)-- I'm about where I was on the project when I made the very first post in this thread two years ago, only this time with the DK2, and with support for both MGE and MGE XE.

Currently my wrapper is:
    getting rotation/position data and applying it to the game's camera
    rendering stereo on the DK2 in direct mode with distortion (via d3d9ex->d3d11 texture sharing)
    supporting MGE XE's shadows, water, fog, distantland etc all fairly well

But not yet:
    using the correct FOV EDIT: this works now
    transforming the clipping planes
    handling menus correctly
    scaled properly to morrowind's units

Everything on the "not yet working" list is basically just a repeat of what I had to do with the first DLL so hopefully it'll come fairly easily! Thank you all so much for the support and pretty soon we'll all be running around Vvardenfell in VR again :D

UPDATE: Got the FOV working. I noticed there are actually a ton of issues with stereo rendering of XE's shadows and shaders etc-- might just have to target regular MGE until I can figure out a scheme to make those work too. Additionally, Timewarp doesn't seem to be doing much since I'm getting some really bad judder outside (it works great in the room with Jiub but when I go out on deck it starts lagging). Also, I haven't written the menu projector yet so menus are drawn kind of funny, and for some reason the view behind the menu freezes and doesn't obey head tracking while the menu is up.

If anybody knows how to troubleshoot timewarp I'd love to hear about that, I tried forking off submitFrame to a second thread so the compositor would have more cpu time, but that didn't do anything. I don't know if I was supposed to update it somehow. Plus I can't get the dx9 zbuffer over to dx11 very easily so positional timewarp wouldn't be that great anyway... but really rotational is what matters the most.

If anybody wants to test it and see how it runs on their setup, send me a PM and I'll let you try the WIP DLL-- again, it doesn't handle menus correctly yet (although they are usable, they mess with your eyes a bit), and the clipping planes aren't working yet so if you turn all the way around it won't render objects behind you... other than that it's working, albeit with some lag.
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    Awesome news! I could test the dll but I'll only have the DK1.

I'm not sure but Oculus team might help with the timewarp?
  • hi i have a DK1 and am on SDK v8.0 and I am getting the issue of it not showing up in oculus mode after changing the .dll file. I am also trying to get skyrim to work and it is unable to track my hmd (i think because my graphics card is out of date) but it also has an overlapped view. your videos do not have the overlapped view, unlike the skyrim videos, but I am wondering if the issue is related to it not tracking the hmd. cant think of what else it could be since it seems to work on other DK1s
  • ZunfixZunfix Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I would like to try the WIP DLL please on my dk2, pm sent.
    Art3mis
    Hey guys. Sorry for the inexcusably long absence, nobody died or anything (except my cat) but I've been busier than I ever would've expected at my new job and haven't really had any time to do anything on my own time except sleep. I'm hoping to dedicate some time tomorrow (saturday) to this project and see if I can make any headway. However I do want to mention I'm probably going to get a Vive instead of a Rift this year, though that depends on how the prices end up and stuff... however I will definitely not abandon rift support for Morrowind, if anything I'll be adding Vive support additionally at some point... but like I said my life is so busy it's tough to find any time to do anything. I'll keep you all posted about how tomorrow goes, I'm hoping to at least get the frustum transforms working again and maybe make some progress on menus so you can all start using the DLL to actually play the game.
  • PeteoPeteo Posts: 264
    Hiro Protagonist
    Man this would be awesome! Where are you with dk2 support?
  • Just thought I'd give my 2 cents about that guy who got it working on the DK2, I just tried his and it did indeed work.

But! Then I replaced the dll with the original MGE one, and guess what? It still works with that resolution. (I found your DK1 DLL did nothing for the DK2 after all, sorry, I could tell your DLL was doing something, as it changed a lot of graphical settings)
    Turns out that specific resolution is displaced on the oculus dk2 in such a way that it looks 3d by making you go cross-eyed, it's super painful for more than a few minutes, and obviously a lot of the interface is obscured by the missing corners. But it's an interesting trick that could be useful for a quick work around if you manage to find just the perfect setting.

Good luck with the project, just got my DK2, and ordered the virtuix omni over a year ago in hopes of one day being able to walk across Morrowind with my own feet. :D
    Art3mis
    edited January 2016
    tl;dr: DK2 Works!!! Extract zip from link to MW folder. requires MGE [Morrowind Graphics Extender] with Anti-Aliasing Level set to None and Morrowind's NPC shadows turned off. if it crashes on startup/load try the fix below. Do not use with any other VR wrappers. EDIT: See this post for instructions on creating a minimum install that the DLL is more likely to work with.
    It's fairly laggy in exterior cells and MGE fonts and shadows are broken, but today I managed to get the view frustum to transform and also managed to project the menus onto a curved plane in-game, so I've packaged the current DK2 version into a zip that you can extract to your morrowind folder. This is an extra layer on top of MGE so you don't need to worry about replacing any files, just drop them in the same folder as an installed instance of MGE (or MGEXE, but that works even less right now). If the screen comes up black make sure Anti-Aliasing is set to None in MGEgui. Your mileage may vary FPS-wise and Crash-wise. I only get 35 fps outside even unmodded, but indoors I get a perfect 75. I'm trying to figure out how Timewarp works because that would be really nice to have, but so far haven't had any luck implementing it.
    NOTE: Although the menu projection somehow manages to put the Steam Big Picture overlay correctly into the game, this seems to be causing a crash when I change cells. It's tough to debug because it only happens when I launch the game through steam, but as a Steam Controller user I'd really like to get it working :P

EDIT: see original post for download links
    I'm working on capturing all Menu draw calls and mapping them to a static plane so the menu doesn't wobble around as much (this happens because the projection matrix is different from in-game and it's not mapped to the DK2's FOV properly), then after that I'm going to try and make shadows work correctly. All this is on an unknown time schedule though since I'm really busy with real life right now :/ thanks for your patience everyone.

D3DX9 Renaming Fix for startup/loading crash
    If it crashes when you start the game or load a save, you might have a version of MGE that loads a different d3dx9 dll than the ones I provided. Luckily this is an easy(ish) fix, just follow the steps below:
    1) Open your d3d8.dll in a text editor or hex editor (notepad works but it's a bit slow).
    2) Search for "d3dx9"
    3) It should highlight an instance from the imports table that ends in .dll-- my two installations say d3dx9_43.dll and d3dx9_30.dll which is why I included those two DLL's in my zip.
    c82U1rQ.png
    4) If your d3d8.dll has a different version of d3dx9 linked, you'll need to rename one of my custom d3dx dll's in your folder to whatever comes up when you search inside the file. It'll generally be a d3dx9_xx.dll where xx are two digits. Once the file is renamed, your game should load! Congratulations!
    4b) If you're sure you have the right name for your d3dx9 dll but it still crashes when you start or load the game... then you probably have a new bug. If you have a lot of MGE mods or shaders installed I'd start by reverting to a basic installation of MGE and adding mods back in until it breaks so you can locate the problem.
  • Hey, just tried it. The menus work fine, but when I try to load or start a new game, I get the following errors:
    ---------------------------
    Error
    FakeDevice->BeginStateBlock not implemented!
    OK   

Error
    FakeDevice->EndStateBlock not implemented!
    OK   

Error
    FakeDevice->BeginStateBlock not implemented!
    OK   

Error
    FakeDevice->EndStateBlock not implemented!
    OK   

I checked the dx8 dll to make sure it's looking for your DLL, and it says d3dx9_43.dll, just as supplied in the .zip.

Edit: Disabling shaders in MGE entirely got it working, but it crashed after a few seconds of play.
    Art3mis
    Do you have any MGE mods installed like hud elements or anything? I've not tested that much with different MGE settings but I know it works with an out-of-the-box MGE 3.8.0 installation with Anti-Aliasing set to None. Maybe there are some other settings you have to turn off, I'll do some more testing tonight.

Do you think you could send me screenshots of the different tabs in MGEgui (maybe also your /mge3/settings file) so I could try to recreate your crashes?

In order to support most shaders I'll have to actually detect the rendering of screen-sized rendertargets and allow transformation inside of them.

EDIT: attached a version of d3d9.dll with BeginStateBlock and EndStateBlock passing through to the real d3d9... maybe that will help?

EDIT 2: Also just to make sure-- you don't have Vireio or anything enabled do you? That would definitely conflict with my DLL.
  • I have MGE XE (I know you suggest MGE), with default settings through MGSO. Except antialising, vsync and shaders disabled. Any more settings to keep in mind for XE?
    From the few seconds of play that I can see, I noticed mobs floating all over the place.

No third party applications related to the oculus or rendering are enabled.

I tried your new DLL, but that particular issue seems to have been fixed with disabling shaders.

Settings have been attached.
    Art3mis
    edited January 2016
    Support for XE is still very minimal... in fact I just realized I didn't test it with the menu stuff at all so that's probably where the issue is... you can try the previous release here -- menus don't project right but it's more likely to work with MGEXE (though I know for a fact shadows don't render correctly).

Turning off Dynamic Solar Shadows might help with both versions, come to think of it. I'll take a look at how the current version runs with my XE installation tonight and see if I can't fix any of the bugs.

In the mean time, if you have a non-steam verison of Morrowind and want to guarantee that the new version will work until I get around to finishing MGEXE support, I'd suggest the following steps to exactly replicate my test environment:
    1) copy the following essential Morrowind files to another folder:
    Morrowind.exe
       Morrowind Launcher.exe
       Morrowind.ini
       binkw32.dll

2) create a "Data Files" folder in the new location and copy the following files from the existing Data Files folder
    Music [entire folder]
       Sound [entire folder]
       Fonts [entire folder]
       Video [entire folder]
       Morrowind.bsa
       Bloodmoon.bsa
       Tribunal.bsa
       Morrowind.esm
       Bloodmoon.esm
       Tribunal.esm

3) run Morrowind Launcher.exe and check the 3 esm's to generate a new Morrowind.ini without mods
    4) install MGE 3.8.0 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/
    5) run MGEgui.exe and set Antialiasing level to 'None' on the Global graphics tab
    6) extract my Morrowrift zip to the folder
    7) run Morrowind.exe, it should work now. when you get in-game set Shadow Distance to None so NPC's draw correctly.
    8) start adding in your old mods, generating distantland, etc, see how they affect the VR wrapper. It's very possible that one of these things will break it since I've been testing with a very minimal MGE setup thus far.

EDIT:
    I just tried my latest release with my installation of MGEXE and it actually somehow worked (though with the same shadow bugs as before)... did you do anything specific when it crashed? I'll try and set my settings to the same as yours and see if I can find what's doing it.

EDIT 2:
    I set my settings exactly like yours and I haven't managed to make it crash (although I'm now getting 12 fps and my eyes hurt, lol...) where were you in the game when it crashed? And do you have any mods that might interfere?
    Art3mis
    So I just got flawless Asynchronous Timewarp working :D
    Finally able to walk around seyda neen without giving myself a headache from the framerate.
    I tried to get Distant Land rendering correctly but it's drawing very very wrong so I kept it disabled for today's release.
    Version 2.3 - Timewarp!

I'll probably focus on getting Distant Land working next but might also try to find a way to stop the mouse from controlling the camera's pitch. Shadows/Anti-Aliasing/Shaders are less of a priority but I would like to eventually fix those as well.
  • SputnikKaputtnikSputnikKaputtnik Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Congratulations on getting ATW working, superllama! Keep up the great work!
    i7-4790K @4.00 GHz, EVGA GTX 980 SC, 16 GB RAM, Win 8.1 64 Bit
    Art3mis
    Fun fact: I actually thought of TimeWarp before it was announced by Oculus and attempted to implement it back on the DK1 (unsuccessfully, but the concept was there XD). I was very glad when I heard John Carmack was hired because I knew if anyone was guaranteed to also think of TimeWarp but actually manage to make it work, it would be him :P

from this post on page 2:
    superllama wrote:
    I've managed to get the FPS smoother semi-functional (it's an extra high-priority thread that tries to predict pixel changes based on its own updated knowledge of headtracking separate from the main game thread, though it only works in windowed mode)-- there's still some issues with distortion if you move your head too fast, but I'm still trying to fix them.
    Anyway, I do want to mention that you have to turn off Morrowind's internal Shadow setting in order for things to render right-- for some reason the game uses a different projection matrix for NPC's with shadows that I haven't managed to find yet. It's on my list of things to fix, though.

EDIT: managed to stop steam overlay from crashing it, though it flickers a bit when it draws the overlay now for some reason. Distantland is looking like it'll be a big project since MGE uses a D3DXEffect to draw it.
  • AnanasAnanas Posts: 181
    This is really awesome news. Great work :D
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    I'm trying hard but can't make it work. First I tried to copy all game files to a new folder using MGE 3.8.0, following your advice, but Oculus Rift mode didn't kick in. After that I redownloaded the game from Steam, installed MGE XE (0.9.10), ran config and made sure AA was disabled. Now the game launches in Oculus Rift mode, but when I load my saved game or try to start a new one, it crashes. I checked the d3d8.dll and it referes to d3dx9_43.dll so it should work, but it always crashes. I have distant land disabled, no shaders... everything is at default. Not sure what to try next... is there some log file that may be useful to you superllama?

I also tried your 2.1 DLL without success.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • nrbnrb Posts: 1
    Anyone else experiencing this bug:

https://youtu.be/-lvBc4oZo4w

Not shown is objects textures being very low resolution on interiors, sometimes also exteriors. Seems to "blinK' back into normal textures when a menu/console is open.

I'm using
    -win 7 64
    -latest oculus runtime
    -mge 3.8.0b
    -non-steam GOTY morrowind.
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    I'm trying hard but can't make it work. First I tried to copy all game files to a new folder using MGE 3.8.0, following your advice, but Oculus Rift mode didn't kick in. After that I redownloaded the game from Steam, installed MGE XE (0.9.10), ran config and made sure AA was disabled. Now the game launches in Oculus Rift mode, but when I load my saved game or try to start a new one, it crashes. I checked the d3d8.dll and it referes to d3dx9_43.dll so it should work, but it always crashes. I have distant land disabled, no shaders... everything is at default. Not sure what to try next... is there some log file that may be useful to you superllama?

I also tried your 2.1 DLL without success.
    Sounds like the Steam Overlay crash... I fixed that halfway last night but it caused some extra flickers. Feel free to try this alternate d3d9.dll I'm attaching that fixes that specific bug, though I warn in advance the fix is only partial, and even if it does work it'll be essentially unplayable (or headache inducing at least) with all the shadow glitches in XE-- I'd suggest trying MGE 3.8.0 again with the attached DLL unless you can find a way to disable shadows and distantland in XE.
    nrb wrote:
    Anyone else experiencing this bug:

https://youtu.be/-lvBc4oZo4w

Not shown is objects textures being very low resolution on interiors, sometimes also exteriors. Seems to "blinK' back into normal textures when a menu/console is open.

I'm using
    -win 7 64
    -latest oculus runtime
    -mge 3.8.0b
    -non-steam GOTY morrowind.

I have seen that happen a couple times but not nearly as frequently as shown in your video... I wonder if there's some MGE setting that affects how frequently that happens? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my menu reprojection hack (if it doesn't happen in 2.1 that would confirm this), especially since it's gotten slightly more frequent since I added timewarp and even more frequent when steam overlay is open.

Definitely something I'll be trying to solve, but in the meantime messing with your MGE settings and seeing how they affect things could be helpful. If any MGE settings do affect it it would probably be the Mag and Min filters, Mipmap filter, Anisotropic filtering level, and Mipmap LOD bias. Mine is set to Anisotropic/Linear/8x/-1 respectively for each of those... I'll do some more experimenting with those settings and see if I can make it happen more often and maybe figure out why it's doing it. It could also be some renderstates I put in place for the transparency in the menus-- if that does turn out to be the case then it might be a simple fix when I get another chance to work on it a bit (but tonight I have homework >_<).

I'll be taking a look at some of these issues more over the weekend, I really hope I can at least fix the texture glitches and steam overlay support so everyone can play at least as well as I can. After that I'll probably go straight for leveling the camera pitch (I may have an idea on how to do this already), and focus on Distant Land, Shadows, and XE support last since those are all cosmetic.
  • ZunfixZunfix Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I was going to buy morrowind in the last steam sale for £2.80 just so i could play it in the rift with this dll, however i didn't buy it in time, it's now £14.99, so unsure if it's worth it.

Would someone post some rift gameplay footage please?
    Art3mis
    I'm not sure if there are any tools that record direct mode... but I might throw together a quick dk2 mirror window thread for recording purposes later, since it would make sense for me to update the original post in the thread with footage from the latest version instead of the ancient one from 2013 :P

Right now the main thing it doesn't do is auto-level the game view-- if you look up and down with the mouse it can get kind of disorienting because it feels like you're rotating the entire room when you do that. I'm hoping to fix this tomorrow, though, so looking up and down moves your menu/crosshair/weapon but not your camera. It also doesn't support the Steam Overlay correctly yet so if you do buy the steam version you might need to disable the steam in-game overlay to stop crashes.
    Art3mis
    I just tried the new DLL file you have provided but it didn't help. I'm not sure if it's really a Steam Overlay problem, because I have disabled it for this game and it's still crashing. Anyway, I tried again with both MGE 3.8 and MGE XE and the Oculus mode only kicks in with XE (I have distant land disabled by the way).

I guess I'll have to wait for newer versions of Morrowrift, but if there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Art3mis
    If oculus mode isn't even kicking in at all in 3.8.0 it's possible that something is wrong with MGE itself... if you take my d3d9 and d3dx9_30 dll's out and run MGE normally are you able to get distantland working?
    Art3mis
    Just finished Version 2.4 - should've fixed a lot of the flickering issues and stopped the crashes related to the steam overlay, plus the camera is now auto-levelled so the view doens't tilt up and down with the mouse, just the menus/crosshair. I'm hoping to make that toggleable very soon with some sort of config file, in the mean time if you want a version with specific things disabled or the menu smaller or something like that just PM me and I'll recompile it with the settings changed. Once I get it loading those values from a config file though that won't be necessary.

Currently working on a minor tweak that lets you recenter only your yaw and auto-set pitch and roll to zero by pressing Shift+Pause or Shift+Insert, since it's tough to get your view set just right sometimes with the way it currently works. That'll probably be released as 2.4.1 in a few hours.

Once the config file is done I'll see if I can make it so you can set hotkeys like that yourself.

EDIT: Finished 2.4.1-- fixed a major issue with positional headtracking and made the recenter key only affect yaw and position (though if you still want to recenter pitch and roll you can use shift+pause or shift+insert-- for example if you're playing the game laying down for... some reason).

Download it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WD ... sp=sharing
  • Hey Super,

I thought perhaps we should continue our discussion here on the forums just so others can maybe learn from my trials and errors, that way your focus isn't diversified with Morrowrift development across two discussion fronts.

So far I have been successful to get your .DLL going and I currently play it with Xpadder and a 360 controller. I have managed to map (Shift + Insert) Macro to the right bumper to reset the orientation, as Xpadder doesn't support the Prntscreen key, however this is a good alternative.

I find that there is still quite a bit of grey texture flickering, however, when I press the Esc key this becomes resolved when the menu overlary appears, but the grey texturing on in game objects and terrain appears again when the Esc menu dissapears again. Does this happen with anybody else? Or is it just me with a setting I should have turned off?

Also, I find that I need to disable the cross hair on Morrowind, otherwise the cross hair gives me a bad case of double vision/ cross eyed, and puts my eyes under incredible strain. The only problem with this cross hair disable method, is that it becomes incredibly difficult to pick up items and target enemies now.

I believe the best thing needed for effective interaction in Morrowind utilizing the DK2 will be to have direct HMD tracking to the mouse. Is there an efficient way to track mouse movement with the headset? I know there was a tracking script somewhere that was open source to achieve this result, and I think it would be perfect for Morrowind. That way I know if I was looking directly at an enemy, the invisible cross-hair would also be on the target too. Right now it behaves sort of independently like a tank turrets aiming direction, independent from it's directional movement.

If I can find the name of that script I will link it here.

Keep up the good work Super!
    Art3mis
    Just tried the new version, still crashing on my computer with MGE XE. As far as I can tell, MGE is working because the game accepts the custom resolutions I enter on MGEgui. However I'm not sure if distant land is working, apparently there is no difference with it enabled or disabled, although I'm at the very start of the game.
    FirmaRoV.png
  • Ok sorry guys, I got my suggestion successfully running and it doesn't really improve the gameplay lol

You can try the mouse bound to head tracking option if you like to see for yourself, here's how I got it going.

1. Download Freepie: http://andersmalmgren.github.io/FreePIE/

2. Install Freepie.

3. Replace the files in Freepie installation directory with these new ones ( New oculus SDK won't work with Freepie otherwise) : http://www.malcolm-s.net/files/vr/OVRFr ... DK0601.zip

4. Copy and paste this script in FreePie and run: https://www.snip2code.com/Snippet/23759 ... -Map-head-

def update():
    global yaw
    global roll
    global pitch
    yaw = oculusVR.yaw + math.pi
    roll = oculusVR.roll
    pitch = oculusVR.pitch

if starting:
    yaw = 0
    roll = 0
    pitch = 0
    enabled = False
    oculusVR.update += update

deltaYaw = -1*filters.delta(yaw)
    deltaPitch = -1*filters.delta(pitch)
    deltaRoll = filters.delta(roll)

if (enabled):
    deltaYaw = -1*filters.delta(yaw)
    deltaPitch = -1*filters.delta(pitch)
    deltaRoll = filters.delta(roll)

mouse.deltaX = deltaYaw*600
    mouse.deltaY = deltaPitch*1000

diagnostics.watch(yaw)
    diagnostics.watch(roll)
    diagnostics.watch(pitch)
    diagnostics.watch(deltaYaw)
    diagnostics.watch(deltaPitch)

# Things didn't seem to work properly with this, I left it in case someone else knew better
    #if math.fabs(deltaYaw) >= math.pi:
    # deltaYaw = 0

toggle = keyboard.getPressed(Key.Z)

if toggle:
    enabled = not enabled

5. Press "Z" on the keyboard when you Run Script to turn the script on and off.

6. Tweak your X and Y sensitivity in the Morrowind Controll Settings.
    Art3mis
    LordJuanlo wrote:
    Just tried the new version, still crashing on my computer with MGE XE. As far as I can tell, MGE is working because the game accepts the custom resolutions I enter on MGEgui. However I'm not sure if distant land is working, apparently there is no difference with it enabled or disabled, although I'm at the very start of the game.
    When you run the game without my d3d9/d3d9x dll's, do you see this in the top left corner right after it starts?
    wde9yFW.png
    If not, then MGE probably isn't working. MGEgui can set Morrowind's resolution by editing the ini files, it doesn't necessarily mean it's working.

I am eventually planning on including mouse emulation based on head movement-- but for now, if the crosshair is giving you trouble there could very well be an IPD issue that I'm not aware of since it's intended to render the crosshair several feet away from your face. I'm guessing there's probably a bug with my code that places the rendertargets into the headset... what resolution are you running morrowind in and what's your IPD? I'll see if I can set mine to those values and reproduce the problem.

As for the greying out and stretching textures... I'm not really sure what could be causing those since mine doesn't do that at all anymore since 2.4. I'm posting my settings on the Render state tab below, I suppose you could try matching those and if that fixes it then we know it's something to do with how you had it configured before. If that does turn out to be the case see if you can reproduce it and I'll see if I can fix it.
    5PItjsW.png
    EDIT: here's my global graphics tab
    C3LwMbY.png

EDIT: The differerence actually appears to be... you'll never guess... the FPS counter. If it's on, the game works perfectly. If it's off, you get weird texture stretching bugs. Based on that I realized there was a SamplerState I was setting for the menu that I forgot to restore... it'll be fixed in the next release. For now just turn on your FPS counters in MGEgui on the morrowind.ini tab :P