New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    Quick update-- I got the new codebase detecting Morrowind and splitting it into left and right viewports with a better less-memory-consuming algorithm, but it still isn't supporting distantland correctly for some reason I can't seem to discern yet, and the reflection in the water is messed up too. If I can at least fix the water then I'll start adding back in the menu detection, headtracking, and Morrowind-specific fixes and we should at least have a version that does what the current release does (i.e. not distantland...) only more stable and optimized.
    PS: this new forum hurts me on so many levels
    EDIT: oh hey my post finally showed up. I wonder if this is going to always happen
  • FooderFooder Posts: 4
    Hey man I have been checking on this every few months to see if it has progressed. I am getting a dk2 soon so i was wondering: is this just up to a walking simulator? Can I potentially play the whole game? Do swords work etc? Quests? This is has been one of my childhood dreams to be inside morrowind so I am anxious about it. Please don't give up! Tons of people like me are watching this.
    god damn it, i am an idiot of course weapons work everything seems like it works I guess my real question is: What is missing, what is stopping this from being an official release rather then a WIP? Just distant land?
  • superllama53superllama53 Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Hey, had to make an alt account because the new forums hate me and block everything I try to post as spam >_>

After your first post, I tried to post:

----------------
    Thanks for expressing interest in the project! I'm honored that you chose to make your first post on the forums here :)

Unless it crashes the game a lot (which seems to depend on the computer), as far as I know you can play the entire game comfortably with the current release (2.4.2), with the exception of character generation because of a bug with the race menu and possibly FMV sequences, so you'll probably want to create the character first and then install the mod. Everything else in the game usually works as expected if you follow the recommended settings, since it's really just an elaborate rendering hack running on the original game + graphics extender. I played for half an hour with a steam controller while standing up and even that felt quite comfortable to me, and I can even play at a high resolution and lean into the menu to read the text more easily, which feels really awesome.

Once I finish the new launcher-based codebase I'm hoping it will be a lot more stable and the crashes will lessen, so it will only get better from here I think. I'm definitely not giving up any time soon, maybe someday I'll even add Vive support if I buy one of those :D 
    -------------------
    seems to never have gone through though.
    After the second post, I'll clarify:

The main thing missing is stability right now. Everything should work if you load a save and play, but some things might crash for some people. "feature-wise" the following things do not work:

Race Menu for character creation
    NPC Shadows
    MGE Anti-aliasing
    Shaders
    MGE Mods that add fonts or sprites
    Distant Land

I think in-game videos might be broken too but I have mine disabled so I'd have to turn them back on to test and make sure.

The next release (Beta 3.0) will fix some of the shader-related problems and add a great deal of stability, but I can't say for sure which things will still be broken then. The new release will be based on a totally different codebase with different code injection and different rendering techniques, so it may fix a lot.

I probably won't leave beta until absolutely everything works for regular MGE including distantland and shaders. If I somehow get MGE XE to work too, that would be even better, but that may or may not happen.
    Art3mis
    Phew, just got the old account fixed so I don't have to worry about that anymore. Made some more progress with the new codebase but it's all backend stuff that makes it easier to work on and keep stable, not worth posting about in detail.
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    any plans to update to latest rift run time? this would look amazing on CV1
    Dude thank you so much for the run down and for working on this. This really clarifies everything, i am really excited to give this a shot soon.
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    RABID said:
    any plans to update to latest rift run time? this would look amazing on CV1
    Oh hey, I actually didn't notice they released a new one. I'll definitely use that one for the next release, thanks for pointing that out.

I have no plans to buy a CV1 myself since I'm fairly satisfied with the DK2 and to me the CV1 is more expensive than necessary, but hopefully I'll still be able to make it work well on one even if I only have a DK2.
    hey one quick question: I am about to get a DK2 for those exact reasons plus i don't want to deal with this whole shipping fiasco and get mine at the end of the summer.. if I update to the latest run-time with the dk2 (1.3?) will it be backwards compatible with the current dk2 set up you have for morrowrift atm? Or will i have to wait for an update?
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately it looks like it crashes when you run it under the 1.3 runtime, but I think it's possible to uninstall 1.3 and reinstall 0.8.0, though that's a lot of work. That may be the only option until I get it ported though.
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    I think I've finally managed to build a core function-hooking backend that I'm comfortable with and should be easy to expand as time goes on. It ended up being a total code overhaul to the previous attempt so I kind of started a new project for it and have been copying over the parts of the previous codebase that worked well and rewriting the parts that didn't. I now have it converting the d3d9 device to a d3d9ex device, but not much else yet. Pretty soon I'll be able to have the basic VR stuff injecting into Morrowind again via the new codebase and on the new 1.3 SDK, and from there it's just a matter of time before it's back up to where it was in 2.4.2. Like I've said before, the new codebase is way more stable and optimized and easy for me to work with, so it may go faster once I get into the meat of it. That said, the next two weeks I'll be somewhat occupied with the process of graduating from college, then in the first half of May I'll be taking a trip to another country, then on like the 20th of May I'll be back with fewer obligations and probably will see some progress made around then.
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    @superllama- Just wanted to say thanks for all you do, and congratulations on graduating college and getting to go visit another country!  Enjoy man!
  • n00854180tn00854180t Posts: 323
    @superllama - Great work man, really excited to see how the 1.3 version shakes up.

In the mean time, I wanted to point out that there's a way to use the 0.8 runtime version on the 1.3 runtime, and thus the consumer Rift: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4h08da/oculus_sdk_08_13_wrapper_release/

That's a wrapper for the 0.8 version so that programs built with it will work in the 1.3 runtime. If anyone can try this, I'd love to hear how your results were.
    Storyteller: Fireside Tales - An immersive VR audiobook player.

The VR Dungeon Survival Project - First person 3D roguelite survival game.

Twitter
    IndieDB
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,693 Valuable Player
    Morrowind is honestly one of the greatest RPG's of all time on my list. A final VR version would be a damn dream!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dirtythekiddirtythekid Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Wow, I haven't checked on this project in a while and I'm so glad I just got the itch to play Morrowind in VR again because you've made a ton of progress and it's amazing on my DK2! I can't wait to see what's in store for further releases. Congrats on graduating!
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Awesome news about the 0.8->1.3 wrapper! I'll definitely try it out when I get back on Friday (I've been in Greece, it's been an amazing tour but I'm also eager to get back home). Now that school is over and done I'll have much more free time to devote to VR projects. Probably getting a vive this summer too and I'm hoping to add support for that as well to my VR injections, and eventually do the same thing with other dx9 games (starting with the pc ports of halo and halo 2).
    Art3mis
    0.8->1.3 wrapper seems to work with 2.4.2 on my DK2 with the latest runtimes!! Now I don't have to feel pressured to port it and can focus on making the next release as stable as possible.

I'll definitely spend some time working on the new release this weekend (when I'm not playing Doom...) and might soon have some more progress to report :)
    0.8->1.3 wrapper seems to work with 2.4.2 on my DK2 with the latest runtimes!! Now I don't have to feel pressured to port it and can focus on making the next release as stable as possible.

I'll definitely spend some time working on the new release this weekend (when I'm not playing Doom...) and might soon have some more progress to report :)

Great! I'm patiently waiting...

• Bel-garathBel-garath Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    I think you should buy a Rift :-), anyway excited to see what you do with this...now start working on Skyrim too!!! lol
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    Just got the new codebase mirroring the game window to the Rift via SDK 1.3!
    Todo list for the new codebase before initial release:
    • split the view over two eyes - EDIT: Done
    • fix projection matrix - EDIT: Done
    • menu detection/rendering - EDIT: halfway done
    • headtracking / frustum clipping fix
    • add back in auto pitch leveling, but make it disableable (is that a word?) with a command line argument

I do plan to add support one day for both Skyrim and Oblivion, but those are way more work because of all the shaders they use. I'll be starting out by trying to get Halo 2 and MGE XE working since both of those use shaders but a lot less than Skyrim does, and if I can manage that then I think I'll be able to tackle Skyrim. I still don't see a reason to buy a CV1 when I have a DK2 though, unless there's some feature I need one for to implement.

EDIT: apparently my pc is too stupid to play doom 4 at anything better than 10 fps, so I guess I'll be working on this undistracted :tongue: 

EDIT 2:
    Got the basics of viewport splitting added, just need to stop it from affecting non-screen rendertargets
    EDIT 3: Done that, now for projection
    EDIT 4: Done, now for menu rendering
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    Good job! I hope we can take a look at it soon on the CV1.
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • edwardburch3edwardburch3 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    You are too good for this world, Llama
    Art3mis
    Finally got it drawing the menu correctly, now for the frustum hack, timewarp, and auto levelling and then I can release
  • MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
    Once Skywind comes out (finally I hope) Morrowind is going to be my go to game...
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Been wrestling with timewarp for a few days now, making some progress but it'll take a while before I can iron it out so it doesn't judder at all.

EDIT:
    YESSSS managed to get flawless ATW working again except this time on 1.3, so I don't even have to handle threading myself, which means it's working even better than my old implementation now that I finally found a way to keep the poses separate between frames.

Next I'm tackling frustum transformation and auto-leveling and it will be ready for release!!!
    EDIT 2: confirmed that the steam overlay still works in the new version :D
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    MORROWRIFT 3.0-ALPHA RELEASE!!!!
    EDIT: I'm stupid so right now it only supports a game resolution of 1600x1024-- I will fix that asap though
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9o_WDIukR-sZ3dvZTFvaXc1Z0U
    EDIT: had to put a password on the zip because google is stupid, password is just "uh"
    DISCLAIMER: Not yet tested with the Steam version of Morrowind, but it should work in theory...

It's still got some pretty big bugs but actually nothing that crashes so far! At least, not on my computer... that's what the alpha is for though I guess?
    Known bugs:
    • NPC shadows, Distant Land, and Anti-Aliasing still don't work, just turn them all off for now :(
    • Clipping issues on weapon model when looking up and down
    • Sky still affected by positional tracking
    • Tracking still messed up at extreme pitches (looking straight up/down)
    • Water sometimes disappears if you're not looking forward
    • The map doesn't seem to render correctly
    • Steam overlay comes up behind the Morrowind menu somehow...
    • I accidentally left in a debug key which draws the menu texture straight to the screen... too tired to recompile now though, let's pretend it's an easter egg
    Aside from that it should be fully playable! Asynchronous Timewarp is fixed and better than ever, and the actual rendering hack itself has been streamlined a lot so I'm personally getting higher FPS than I did before.

It's late here so I need to go to sleep otherwise I'd test a few other things like whether the race menu is fixed (I don't think it is), etc... anyway.

Biggest new feature is 1.3 support and a new Launcher/DLL format instead of d3d9 wrappers, as well as an entirely new code injecting system that should be significantly more stable.

Note that even with the launcher this utility still requires MGE 3.8.0.

A couple more notes:
    • Although NPC shadows are still broken, they work a little better now as long as you look directly at the NPC's all the time, so I made a little bit of progress.
    • The crosshair is extremely hard to see, so you may want to install a crosshair mod so you don't lose the crosshair (especially with the levelling allowing you to change aim pitch in-game without changing your view).
    Next few releases will be bugfixes and minor code refactors probably, we may still be a long way off from being able to tackle distant land. I kind of wrote half of the code well and then rushed the second half after I realized the 0.8->1.3 wrapper crashed morrowind when changing cells, so I may have to step back and fix a lot of really terrible code before I can make any more big changes :P 

Anyway everybody can give it a try, just run Morrowrift.exe and it'll give you instructions on how to run the game with it. I'll update the OP tomorrow probably.
    edited June 2016
    Oh hell yes. Downloading now!

EDIT:

@superllama the link seems broke (getting a Google ToS message)
  • KuraikaKuraika Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    Will try it when coming home from work. Keep up the good work.
  • tomatohorsetomatohorse Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I just stumbled upon this thread. I have never played Morrowind but your project is very inspiring! As soon as you fix that link I'm going to buy it and play through :)  You are amazing for doing all this, by the way. Are you doing actual coding? Or just hacking with existing values?