New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Morrowrift - Morrowind VR (CV1/1.3 alpha! v. 3.0.2)

Comments

• PowerboyPowerboy Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    link is broken :(
  • superllamasuperllama Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    That's really weird... try this one: 
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sZ3dvZTFvaXc1Z0U/view?usp=sharing
    password is "uh"

My guess is either google doesn't like me uploading .exe files at all, or the heuristic scanner thinks it's malware since it injects a DLL... either way I password protected it so it can't scan it and freak out (in theory...). I'll try and find an alternative place to drop the files from now on so I don't need to do that.

EDIT:
    Are you doing actual coding? Or just hacking with existing values?

Currently the project consists of 2581 lines of C code compiled into Morrowrift.dll for injection, and 97 lines of C code compiled into Morrowrift.exe which launches the game and injects and initializes the dll-- the DLL has to basically reach in and replace the game's references to DirectX's functions with custom hooks, similar to how Vireio and VorpX and friends do it, but written from scratch specifically for Morrowind and the Rift for the best experience possible with minimal dependencies.
  • JeppeJeppe Posts: 34
    superllama, you are awesome! I will try the new version out ASAP. If I understand it correctly, it should work with the CV1 now, right?
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Jeppe said:
    it should work with the CV1 now, right?
    It should, but I don't have one so I haven't been able to test it. It works well with my DK2 using the CV1 drivers, though. If it doesn't work on your CV1 let me know and I can work with you to debug it.
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    edited June 2016
    i like the way you programmed this patch... looks great mate

ill test it today

edit: couldnt get MGE 3.8.2 started as win 10 and wont go that far back in direct X d3d8.dll

i always have trouble getting d3d8 working have never been able to in win 10

sadface
    Art3mis
    Are you getting an error when running MGEgui?
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/morrgraphext/
    This is the recommended version of MGE.

Also, I noticed a major bug... it only supports one resolution >_<
    Anyone testing it out needs to set their game resolution to 1600x1024 because I'm stupid. I'll fix that asap.
  • BuckleBeanBuckleBean Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Just stumbled onto this & got very excited. Thanks for all of your work! Unfortunately, can't get it to show up on the Rift CV1. Got MGE 3.8.0 working on Win 10. Extracted the 2 files (Morrowift.dll & Morrowift.exe) into install directory. Changed the resolution to 1600x1024 with MGE. Dragged .exe onto the other to launch. Opens launcher on monitor. Clicking "Play" launches game on monitor. Anything I'm missing?
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Make sure you're dropping Morrowind.exe onto Morrowrift.exe, not Morrowind Launcher.exe. If you are dropping Morrowind.exe onto Morrowrift.exe and it's still doing the Launcher-- are you running the Steam version? Also I'm like 5 minutes away from releasing the update that makes it work under non-1600x1024 resolutions Lol
    EDIT: oh hey I also managed to fix the map rendering wrong :D 
    EDIT:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sRzV0dXVkN3l6ck0/view
    new version that doesn't require you to drag/drop the exe, just put it in the folder and run Morrowrift.exe instead of Morrowind.exe or the launcher, fixed maps, and fixed other resolutions
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the fast replies. Yes, I'm using the Steam version. Downloaded latest files and dropped them into the install folder. No luck. Attempting to run Morrowift.exe does nothing. Dragging & dropping Morrowind.exe onto Morrowift.exe does nothing. Dragging Morrowift.exe onto Morrowind.exe opens the launcher, from which I can launch the game onto the monitor. What resolution should I be selecting? What aspect ratio?
    Art3mis
    Aw rats, I was afraid they might do something like that in the Steam version... my roommate has the steam version so I'll see if I can get him to share his steam library with me tonight so I can figure out where the best place to inject it in steam's pipeline is, since it's apparently quite a bit different. Sorry about that, I won't know for sure how long it'll take to add support for the steam version until I can hook a debugger up to it.
    Brain Burst
    No worries at all. Honestly, I hope it helps. I really just happened to see this on the Oculus forums and thought I'd give it a whirl. Good luck & let me know if there's anything I can do to help!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,693 Valuable Player
    I have the DvD's from the anthology set and will try this very soon! Thanks again for all your work on this.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Got MGE 3.8.0 working on Win 10.
    How did you get MGE working on the steam version? I can't seem to get mine running to test with.

EDIT: Nevermind, had to set Morrowind.exe to run as Administrator. Time for debugging! 
    EDIT 2: Oh hey!! It actually launches fine just as it is, all you have to do is make sure to run Morrowrift.exe as Administrator too. Only trouble is it's not detecting the game view properly still. Looks like it does transform Cinematics correctly though, I guess I can remove that from the bug list :)
    EDIT 3: Actually it's just 1600x960 that isn't working, if I set it to 1600x1024 or 1024x768 it works great if I run as Administrator. Unfortunately though that means the Steam Overlay is gone completely now...

TLDR EDIT - WORKAROUND FOR STEAM, ALSO UPDATED OP
    Got it working, you have to set all the EXE's in your Morrowind folder to Run as Administrator, then run the Morrowrift.exe from 3.0.1. If you want the Steam overlay with a steam copy, you'll have to run Steam itself as Administrator too and add Morrowrift.exe as a non-steam game and run it that way.
    Also, I rewrote the entire original post in this thread today and just now updated it to include instructions for running under Steam. Productive day even though I got a migraine :D
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    Hey, thanks so much for your efforts. Unfortunately, it just won't run. Morrowift won't launch even when all .exes are set to run as administrator. I'm trying a fresh install next.

EDIT:
    No dice even after fresh install. Tried running steam as admin and creating a non-steam game shortcut. That .exe just doesn't want to launch. : (
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Does it display a message if you copy it outside of the Morrowind directory and run it from there? It's possible that you just need to install the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable though that's supposed to display an error if it doesn't load... also to clarify Morrowrift.exe specifically is also set to Administrator right?
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, Morrowift.exe and all other .exes in the folder are set to admin rights. When I launch it outside of the folder, I get the message entitled, "How to run Morrowift." When I try to run the C++2013 redistributable, I get the "Modify Setup" prompt along with options to repair or uninstall, suggesting I already have it on my machine. I didn't intend this to turn into a troubleshooting thread. If others are successful, I don't want you to bend over backwards getting it working for me. 
    Art3mis
    Sounds like the exe is at least running then-- I'll send you a modified exe with a bunch of debug messages to figure out how far it gets. And don't worry about filling up the thread, chances are somebody else will have this issue too. Not only that but nobody else has even confirmed that it's working yet so it may be a bigger problem than I realize.
    Brain Burst
    Great, I'm quite happy to help. I should be around for the next few hours so I'll keep an eye out. 
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Awesome, here's a modified exe for you to try running https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sTFBzWllGLXAyZHM/view
    password is "debug" because google security
    Just let me know what the last message it pops up before it stops is, and whether the Morrowind path and Morrowrift DLL path look right.
    Brain Burst
    OK, the paths are both correct. Then I get the following in order:

1. Uh oh Process didn't create for some reason. 
    2. Yay Injected all the DLLs and stuff
    3. Yay Built and injected the entry point

Seems #1 is where my issue lies. Hope this helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do. 

Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    LOL, it's supposed to exit if it can't create the process so it was actually injecting the DLL and stuff into nothing-- but yeah, the fact that it's not creating the process is definitely the issue, I'll look at the documentation for CreateProcess and see if I can figure out why it might fail.
    In the mean time try running this version:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-senRPclpEbTEtYzA/view (pw is "debug" again)
    which should give you a numerical error code for me to better identify what's going on.
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    I know it's been said before, but superllama, You Are The Man!!

Please let me know which development team you are hired by (soon, I'd imagine) so I can buy that company's stock.  Your level of dedication and support is unheard of out there!
    Brain Burst
    OK: Error creating process 193.
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Apparently that corresponds to ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT..... I'll bet it's because I didn't put quotes in the path... try this version:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sa2lPdlJLLWtkcU0/view
    If that fixed it then I'll roll that into the next release along with some other easy bugfixes (probably the 1.333 aspect bug will be a quick fix)

EDIT: oops I'm stupid I forgot to say the password is "maybe" 
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    Aha!!!!!! It's works! My god, it's incredible. 

EDIT: Just a quick note. I see you have many bugs listed in the OP. I'm not entirely sure if this is covered with the aspect bug you referenced, but the aspect ratio definitely seems off. There's a bit of warping going on when looking around. I thought i saw you saying you've been testing with a DK2 & I believe there's a difference between that & CV1. 
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Yay! Glad it worked finally. As for the warping I suspect you're right about it being caused by the difference between the CV1 and the DK2... is it affecting the monitor view too? If so, would you be able to get a quick video of it? I'll look through the code and see if there's a mistake somewhere too.
    Also, do you notice the warping even before loading a save or is it only affecting the game view?
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    It is affecting the monitor view. It's easier to see in the Rift, but I tried looking at a building to show it stretch as I moved the rift up & down. Side to side is less noticeable on the monitor. Here's a video: 

Sorry about the sound. I don't think the loading screen/main menu is affected. The effect reminds me of playing a vorpx title without properly calibrating the FOV to work with whatever aspect ratio I've chosen. 

Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    if it looks correct on the menu screen it may be an issue with how I'm applying the rift projection matrix to the game one... I can't really tell much from the video unfortunately since it kind of just looks like it does on the DK2. Is it especially apparent when rolling your head from side to side? I'll see if I can build in a debug key to gather some information about the projection matrices.
    EDIT:
    Try using this https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-saWtpNE44MkdPdE0/view?usp=sharing Morrowrift.dll instead (no password since there's no EXE), then running the game in 1600x1024 and pressing the Pause/Break key once you load a save. It should pop up a message looking something like this:

if you could screencap what you get and post it here I might be able to figure out where it's going wrong with the projection. Thanks for helping me get this working on CV1!
    Brain Burst

Here you go! Head roll is not a problem. It's when looking up & down, left & right. Very glad to help. 
    Art3mis
    Aha, just as I suspected! The CV1 matrices have an extra ZY parameter I didn't account for. See if this version works:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9o_WDIukR-sSDY3TnZ5TW1RSVU/view