New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

3d test files for game developers and media makes to use

heynowbrowncowheynowbrowncow Posts: 127
Hiro Protagonist
edited December 2016 in General
i found out the gear vr outputs two side by side 16 9 resolutions as something other than 16 9, so i has to keep the 720 vertical and go half horizontal and the gear vr resized the half horizontal to 1280, so the final picture is 1280x720 16 9 aspect ratio.

i redid the test videos and tried them out, the first few seconds is still green i dont know why. and i have a green line at the bottom, again i dont know why.

i tested a music video at this resolution and it worked out fine, fyi 

i had to make the music video a mkv for virtualdub to open the avs file.
then i ran the video through the two codes below, top one first. then i took the video with sound and made it a mp4 using vlc convert, the top setting in vlc convert, says mp4.
then i renamed the file with the _LR and put it in the 3D folder, and watched it with oculus video app in the gear vr.

this is the avisynth code i used;

//////////////////////

loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\DirectShowSource.dll")

left=directshowsource("C:\Users\jerry\Desktop\3 - Copy\1.avi", audio=false, 30).spline64resize(640, 720)
right=directshowsource("C:\Users\jerry\Desktop\3 - Copy\2.avi", audio=false, 30).spline64resize(640, 720)

return stackhorizontal(left, right).converttoyv12()

/////////////////////

loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\DirectShowSource.dll")

Video=directshowsource("C:\Users\jerry\Desktop\2\trailer.avi")
Audio=WAVSource("C:\Users\jerry\Desktop\2\silence.wav")
AudioDub(Video,Audio)

/////////////////////

https://github.com/jeremyduncanartificialintelligence/musical-artificial-intelligence_2/raw/master/works 2.7z

i read about how some people dont see much 3d in vr and this is disappointing, so i decided to make some test files and show them here so devs can see the different parallax for themselves and then try the parallax in their games or media.

http://vrtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?2383-VR-3D-Depth-Not-Really-too-Good

Tagged:

Comments

• heynowbrowncowheynowbrowncow Posts: 127
    Hiro Protagonist
    if you look at how the test pattern changes when you tilt your head, youll see the 3d works when you keep your head not tilted. otherwise if you tilt your head the 3d picture gets messed up.

now heres two problems with that.

problem 1, games. people play stereoscopic games in the rift and thats 640x800 resolution per eye for a total resolution of 1280x800.

this means the image gets bent when the user tilts their head in a game like it does in my test pattern. this is a potential problem is the standard is the head perfectly not tilted but the reality is the person tilts their head and so the games 3d left and right eye gets incorrect and is seen as a abnormality n the brain, causing potential conflict that can potentially cause nausea.

problem 2, the touch controllers. these work in 3d too, and after a while people notice a tracking drift;

the persons head tilts, which creates a wrong 3d image, and now the touch controllers are using the 3d image to do tracking and the 3d image gets wrong when the person tilts their head, causing drift.

to test this, activate the rift in a 3d game world that gets tracking drift after a while, but this time don't wear the rift, just put a dummy over the sensor in the rift activating it then keep the rift perfectly still on a table top, you look at the monitor on the desk.

then wave your hands around and i the same amount of time the tracking drift happened before if you don't get tracking drift with the rift just still, then the drift is happening because of the 3d stereoscopic pair being made bad when the person tilts their head.
  • heynowbrowncowheynowbrowncow Posts: 127
    Hiro Protagonist
    "If you look closely, when the sensors move because of the HMD the Touch also move. That is the cause of the jumps."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5sg8az/fix_temporarily_oculus_111_tracking_problem/ddf57oj/

here is a description of the problem the touch is having;

what Alehandoro found out was the led lights seen by the camera contribute to the image shift. so that too much leds made the image more misaligned when the head tilted as it moved looking forward to backward to forward.

people still get the image shift when some leds are blocked but not as often.

i think blocking leds causes the til of the head to be less pronounced, which keeps the stereo pair image true, which means the line in the stereoscopic image doesn't get longer.
    when the stereoscopic image is false the stereo line gets longer and this longer line is what shifts the image that then shifts the touch.

so a software stabilizer that keeps the stereoscopic image true when the head tilts is what will stop the image shift and keep the touch controllers from drifting.

first you need to get a test image like my 3d line here;
    https://github.com/jeremyduncanartificialintelligence/musical-artificial-intelligence_2/raw/master/works 2.7z

then record the software as it looks at the line, and then see if the line gets longer as you tilt your head.
    then debug the sw so the line doesnt get longer as you tilt your head.