New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus rift locking mouse control after play sessions

MurginMurgin Posts: 3
NerveGear
So I've had the Rift for around 2 weeks and Touch for 1 week. I'm enjoying it for the most part, minus one glaring issue I've run into that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone else in the support areas.

My problem started after I started using the touch controllers. Now, my mouse pointer becomes frozen within 10 to 30 minutes every time I put on my Rift headset, even if I never use the touch controllers. It is just my mouse as far as i can tell. If I hit the windows key the start menu pops up and I can sort of navigate with the arrow keys. But I can't do anything with the mouse. I have tried ctrlaltdel-ing the oculus service after the mouse is frozen but I don't regain control. And I have tried unplugging and replugging the mouse usb to no avail. The Oculus home and other programs work fine as long as they don't need the mouse. The only reliable way I've found to regain control of the mouse is to restart the whole system, which is annoying to say the least. All in all this really hampers any desire I have to use the Rift because I know I won't be able to do anything afterward until I've done a full system reboot.

I can't tell what is causing this. I considered myself rather competent, but I have no idea how this is happening. I don't really have any background programs that would cause issues like this. Mostly just steam, nvidia, and some other monitoring programs.Does anyone have any idea what is to blame here?

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,117
    Wintermute
    Possibly blame Microsoft to set the USB port mouse idle to save energy? Check your device manager for this, even if I doubt as unplugging/plugging should have fix the problem. My wireless mouse have the same behavior after 7 minutes but it's a energy save feature inside the mouse and I can wake up it just by clicking once or turn the vertical wheel.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• MurginMurgin Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Well I'm using a wired Logitech G502 mouse, so I don't think that is what the problem is.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,117
    Wintermute
    As said check your device manager to see if the USB port dedicated to your mouse still active, that's a first thing to check IMO.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Does unplugging and re plugging in your mouse resolve the issue?
    If so it could be that your bandwidth is saturated in game.
    If it doesn't tho then my guess would be your motherboard drivers are passing about.  Might be worth flashing your bios and checking for changes in device manager
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • MurginMurgin Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I don't see any changes in the device manager before or after the mouse freezes, though I don't have much experience with hardware problems and am not 100% sure I know where to look. But under "Mice and other pointing devices" it has two "HID-compliant mouse" and neither of those had anything change after the freeze.

I'm hesitant about doing anything with my BIOS because I have almost zero experience there. I'll have to look up how to flash it. I'm good with programs but when it comes to hardware level stuff I'm feeling dumber and dumber.