cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7-year-old tried Superhot VR and he's not terrible :)

Moon920
Protege
I was going to correct him in the way he holds the guns but it's too funny, and he seems to do alright with it when he's not just spraying bullets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKPXXe8740c
14 REPLIES 14

loregnum
Adventurer
Awesome!

Your boy throws far better overland with those controllers than I do. In real life I am actually pretty good at throwing things (specifically a football) but I suck so much with the touch controllers. Basically no accuracy at all. I think it has to do with not releasing the trigger at the correct time.

Applecorp
Rising Star
My issue in VR is that I'm paranoid I'll let go of the controller if I throw "realistically", so to compensate I throw like a girl, just in case.    😛

The little chap in the video probably doesn't have any worries about damaging anything, lol.

danknugz
Superstar
fyi rift is not supposed to be used by kids under 12, it can cause strabismus
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

elboffor
Consultant
Your big screen is epic!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

danknugz said:

To be fair I know many people with variations of that, who've never touched vr. (my brother in law for instance does this at will, and and move one eyeball independently of the other, looks weird af when he does it)

Regardless of if it's possible or not, I severely limit my 6 year olds use of rift. He has maybe 30 mins to an hour of total play time over 6+ months. The only reason I even let him play at all for now, is that it seems so cruel to deny him entirely of it while I use it so often. But I've explained it to him and he understands and doesn't pester me to try it anymore. (though he has taken to asking if his plush friends can play it) But to each his own, it could turn out that I'm being overprotective and there's no cause for limiting this much, but I feel safer this way.

Moon920
Protege

danknugz said:

My son has only played around 1-hour total of VR.  10 minutes of Space Pirate Trainer, 30 minutes of Job Simulator and 20 minutes of this.  He watches all of his favorite YouTubers play VR and asks me if he can play a couple times a week.  My answer is almost always no.  I have concern about negative effects it might have on his undeveloped brain, good lookin' out 🙂

Moon920
Protege

Applecorp said:

The little chap in the video probably doesn't have any worries about damaging anything, lol.

It was so funny when he first put it on, I said, "I held his shoulders, faced him toward me and said I need you to be VERY CAREFUL, make sure you don't go too far, you're connected to the computer.  He gave me a sincere look and replied, "thanks for caring so much about me dad" .. lol, he misunderstood, but that's OK.

Applecorp
Rising Star
 😄  I like it.  

jokingAura
Explorer

danknugz said:

Do you mind providing a source for this claim. This is not the only claim of this sort i have seem and most of the time the claims are unsubstantiated. And what magically happens in human development when age 12 is reached. I had researched health affects prior to deciding to purchase my Oculus Rift and could not find any credible source claiming HMD use presented any health risks to children. If there has been more research into this issue I would welcome a link to the article so I can be better informed.