New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

[Bug] Touch temporarily loses tracking, starts circling rapidly around the current position.

DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
3Jane
This happens a few times each session. Either the left or right hand starts to circle rapidly around the current position, and then it snaps back into place and tracking is restored.  These glitches only last about a second, and they seem to happen once every 10 to 15 minutes or so.

I've tried repositioning the cameras, such as placing them further away, placing them closer to me, placing one in front one behind, but this doesn't make a difference. Both cameras are connected to USB 3.0 ports, and I've tried switching up the ports as well, but that also had no affect. There are no mirrors or shiny surfaces that might reflect the IR LED's.

Medium is the only program that I've noticed this in, but Medium is also the only program where I'm concentrating intently on the position of the controller for long sessions. These glitches are so brief that they might go unnoticed in games or other programs.

Tagged:

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    With Medium I have an annoying habit of gradually rotating clockwise in my seat til I'm facing away from my desk and trackers. The spinny-hand glitch lets me know I have to turn myself back to the front. I get it other times when I think One hand is between the sensors and the other hand or (occasionally) when I have my hands up near my face, I think the rift itself may be occluding my controller.

I'm fairly certain it's caused by a momentary loss of tracking. It does seem like Medium has a uniquely entertaining response to it, tho.
  • Hornet_F4CHornet_F4C Posts: 214
    Nexus 6
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    I'm fairly certain it's caused by a momentary loss of tracking. It does seem like Medium has a uniquely entertaining response to it, tho.

Hmmm, I wouldn't be sure of this.

It sounds / looks like a widely discussed bug that also occured to others even while the controller is within the sensor limits. I had it myself in RipCoil for about a second or two.

I certainly may be a loss of tracking, but question remains why tracking gets lost temporarly just to work again a second later, with the controller position and orientation basically unchanged.

• JamesIV4JamesIV4 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    This happens in all the Touch games I've tried so far. I'm pretty sure Oculus knows about it. Would be great to get a fix though.
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    I'm pretty sure the elephant in the room with touch is that its possible to confuse the sensors by having the two controllers  in close proximity, with one partially or completely obscuring the other.  Try to look at it from the sensors point of view - all it sees afaik is a bunch of uniform dots floating in space. From this it has to determine 3 distinct entities. Maybe whatever logic governs this is not robust enough to pull 2 controllers out of one and a half controllers worth of dots? 
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,129
    Wintermute
    AFAIK Oculus already acknowledged this problem. It happen to me after a while, even if I'm still in view of both my front-facing sensors, and its fixed in few seconds.

To me it sound like a software bug, accumulating wrong data and creating this Spiral-Of-Death  quickly fixed when data incoherencies reach a certain value. I bet about Sensor tracking IR leds, and gyroscopes inside Touch which don't agree, and an average wrong orientation/position is computed and displayed (which one you trust the most in such case, Sensor or gyroscope?). This wrong display is kept for the new occurrence, and so on.

Re-reading myself, if gyroscope got crazy it could possibly due to heating with our hands : we know the headset itself have a pre-computed array of data to compensate its gyroscopes reports deviating due to the headset heating during it use (that's what the IMUcalibration tool do for people having a tilted view update this array). Possibly same problem here?

as theory I put aside having my real hand doing this spiral as I saw my hand not moving through the nose gap ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• routb3droutb3d Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    This also happens on the HTC Vive using Revive.. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    If I remember correct, this specific bug was fixed already, and is in an unreleased patch. Please hang tight for a future update. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PirhanaAPirhanaA Posts: 2
    NerveGear

Dear Cybereality,

can you please at least tell us when this miraculous update will be officially dropped ?
    (to definitively know if it's an oculus software or consumer computer side issue)
    it's amost 1.5 month we get our Touch and they are still unusable with 3 sensors setup and roomscale games...
    (I tried everything to fix my tracking issues, but nothing solve it, so I don't know what else to do than waiting...)
    Please, would it be eventually possible to try a *Beta* version of this future update to maybe try further helping your team to spot the problem ?

Thx for your support.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    unusable with 3 sensors setup and roomscale games...
    I have to disagree here buddy, I've got roomscale with 3 sensors and it works almost flawlessly 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • PirhanaAPirhanaA Posts: 2
    NerveGear

elboffor, if you have time to do it, can you please make a video of what you call "almost flawlessly" (just to be sure if it's not a matter of speaking view point), can you hold your touch in front of you and turn on yourself (one complete circle) having the touch being tracked perfectly all around without jumps/jitters/wobbles/hands going away?

With a powerful and clean PC, updated drivers, I have no power or bandwith problem with my USB3 (3rd sensor on USB2), and without any occlusions or reflections, I ALWAYS have one of this issues that occurs when I switch from two cameras to the two next ones... and always only the right hand (even if I switch them)... sometimes it's very light (but still to much to play a game like Onward), but sometimes it's so strong it's complete unplayable... and for me it's far from "almost flawlessly"...

If I see anybody doing it what I call "Absolut Flawlessly", I will give up definitively and would admit an issue on my side with my computer.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    well i just did you test, and it isnt flawless, its (as i said) almost flawless.

i get a micro stutter (kinda looks like a lost frame) about once per revolution (but not every time) and thats between my rear sensor and mr far front one (the corner i dont have a sensor in).
    thios happens with both hands and not one. my rear sensor is also usb 2.0 (although i am going to be putting both year sensors on usb 3.0 in the near future.

I do believe it's more to do with the lack of power to the headset than anything else, it has to do a hell of a lot more work comunicating with the controllers than it would without ()which is still a lot)

i inly have a 2m extention on my headset which is a high quality pair and it goes intot he inatech card along with one sensor, other front sensor is on my mobo usb3.0

So yeah, near flawless is definately the correct term.

it almost never happens in game, and if it did it is just a micro stutte every now and then.

If i remember i will record it with nvidia shadowplay and post it for you, bt not right now, it's gone midnight and i'm working from the office tomorrow so will be comuting early
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @DeadlyJoe Can you please share the LogGatherer zip file log with me? Ideally you should pull the logs shortly after the spiral issue happens. Though we think we may have fixed this bug already, there is some difficulty with reproducing it in the lab so additional log files will help. Thanks.
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV