New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Nintendo Switch Yay or Nay?

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player
edited January 13 in Off-Topic
Releasing on March 3rd 2017 for $299.99/ £279.99/$469.95 AUD with some interesting games beyond the launch period is this something that interests anyone here?

System Specs: GTX 1080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Nintendo Switch Yay or Nay? 122 votes

Yes, I will buy at some point
29%
cyberealityYbalridbertozziAwacsdc2889Evileyesmacker33weasel47maxpare79drefk2000YoLolo69VRsteveShiftyIncntwigbelsPaul_Blythedreimer1986Fredd32CrashFuBEARDEDFIGNUTZKlinK01 36 votes
No, Not interested at all
40%
brantlewjaimijumblikevinw729bigmike20vttwisteklabsjdenneytranceology3birkdanknugznalex66RonsonPLSyndroidProtocol7zork2001korgen63jayhawkPablitotutmeisterXPS 50 votes
Not Sure, Need to See More
24%
KevinLongtimeDeadlyJoevannagirlKen30NYCShadowmask72Lemming1970GenetixStudioPercy1983FrozenPeaSkScotcheggTadinSiilkAndrewJ71FourT2TraprockSadGamerDadlairyboyreddeath360mosiffBrokenSymmetry 30 votes
Nintendo Switch. What's That?
4%
PleXDEliteSPATwoHedWlfxWandererxkazRiumMacready1979 6 votes

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,592
    3Jane
    edited January 13
    same old boring ass crap, i hate nintendos holier than thou attitude towards powerful hardware, and this is obv made for little kids

the trailer video with the people playing on the roof and the guys at the basketball court was cringeworthy and unrealistic
    But it could buy me a boat
    It could buy me a truck to pull it
    It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    Zelda looks cool but not worth spending all that money for one game! :) 
    I have my PC for at home gaming and VR pretty much takes over most of my alone time.
    For portable gaming I have my smartphone so it's hard to see where it would fit in right now.

Although I do hope it does well and gets positive feedback from fans!
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,544
    Project 2501
    Nintendo Switch. What's That?
    Had enough with the Wii....
    71AWBj.png
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 SLI | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,577 Valuable Player
    edited January 13
    You can watch the presentation here:

And from what I've seen so far, the controllers are kind of revolutionary.

Edit (Video for controllers only):

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 2,630 Valuable Player
    I am wondering if further down the road they release their own VR headset where the Switch display can attach to the headset? Either way, Mario game looks rather nice but I'm not convinced to spend for just one game.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,467 Poster of the Week
    i have no problem with the console and hope it does well but it has no interest to me.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Nintendo have some really good 1st party titles that you'll never get on other platforms, they're also kings in the dedicated hand-held gaming space. Yes, mistakes have been made in the past with the Wii U but this really looks like they're back on track again.

I love my New 3DS-XL and I'll definitely grab a switch sooner rather than later.
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 299
    Nexus 6
    I pre-ordered it already. I'm looking forward to playing Zelda on it. 
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,320 Valuable Player
    It's a big fat nay from me.

Told you!
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 681
    Trinity
    what sucks is I have a deep deep love for Zelda.  And I feel at some point I'm going to have an urge to spend all that money just to play it.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 781 Poster of the Week
    This looks bizarre. I predict another failure like the Wii U.  720p out the gate for $299...pfffft.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
    Jesus have you seen the price of the extra peripherals as well??

ANYONE who moaned about the price of touch and the sensors, who then buys a switch along with the extra controllers and is ok with the price of those has a serious case of double standards imo.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,002 Power Poster
    edited January 13
    I'm sure I will eventually get it just for funsies. This is the real HTC Vive killer anyway, gotta support that  :p

Also, just saw an article that Skyrim is coming to Switch:
    http://wwg.com/2017/01/13/yep-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-is-officially-nintendo-switch-bou/

Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Pop the champagne! Skyrim on 720p.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,449 Poster of the Week
    was interested, then see the stream,. price is off also ninty never getting online seems meh. A free snes game for a month only in return for paid online, my current devices emulate snes forever"

i am huge monster hunter fan i wait until that arrives and then decide.
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited January 13
    Pre-ordered it this morning through Amazon UK, and Zelda: BOTW just ... game wise, interested in Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 so far. Might get Skyrim also... see how much the pro controller is too. 
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
     see how much the pro controller is too. 
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14261342/nintendo-switch-extra-controller-price-terrible

$70 which going on the exchange rate will mean £60 if in the uk i bet.
  • arttekarttek Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    Seems like it would be a powerful portable gaming system. I found that Nintendo made titles, like Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc. tend to play very well, but other 3rd party games are lacking. I'm primarily a fan of Mario Kart, but it won't be worth getting just for that. 

I wish it well, but my current interests will be spending extra cash on VR content and peripherals. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,002 Power Poster
    I only found out about Skyrim for Switch because I logged into Facebook a few short hours ago. Everyone is going crazy over this news. It is a hot trending topic apparently
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Forget 720p and the fact it's an old game I believe the real issue here to be excited is being able to play Skyrim mobile. Now that is something rather special and not to be scoffed at. 

edited January 13
    really? I know very little about switch but i did know about skyrim...  I fear a bleak future for the console... i hope it does well mind you, Ninty are going to have to nurture 3rd party support imo. lack of it really hurt the wii u, and has hampered other consoles as well imo (wii sold well but who used it regularly? i have no numbers but everyone i know had theirs gathering dust outside of family get togethers like xmas and once their new years resolution to "get fit using the wii fit" novelty wore off.

ubisoft were the big 3rd party to stick their flag in the sand with wiiu iirc, but that went south quickly.  Nintendo 1st party stuff is usually top drawer, but i am not convinced they release enough to make or break the console on its own.

splatoon is great tho, so sure number 2  will be good. Skyrim is a very good title, but my question is, how many people who are interested in skyrim have not already played it to death, and of those how many will buy it again ... esp assuming it is even close to full price (christ i have seen it for a 5er on PC, and that may have even been the GOTY version)

I wonder if people will buy it as a handheld with the bonus of plug in the telly support, vs who will buy it as a full blown console but with the bonus of a portable mode..... does the distinction even matter any more?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 678
    Neo
    edited January 13
    Zelda, Mario, I bought this officially for my 6 years old son and his sister 11 yo, but I always play them when they sleep ;) And no, I see something wrong here: 720p is for the screen itself when used autonomously, when plugged to a TV/Monitor games are displayed at 1080p (AFAIK)

I kept an old TV as my son still play Nintendo 64 (and finished several games in it including Super-Mario 64 which I never finished myself), play the 3DS (in 2D mode, young eyes) and his near to finish his second Zelda (Ocarina of Times and now Link between worlds), and I want him to continue the Zelda story and discover this new Mario. He learned to read from those games as he really wanted to understand what's displayed in Zelda. I didn't bought the WII U, and the Switch fix a lot of problem WII U had, so definitively the Switch is a big yes for me and the whole family.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    For $299, what the hell, I'll get one. Even just for Zelda and Mario it would probably be worth it. Not really concerned about the tech specs, I already have a PS4 Pro and banging PC if I want to play high-end games. So this will just be a fun little addition on the side.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    Zelda's going to be the main launch title, honestly can't see that many people buying 1-2-switch. Hoping Switch doesn't go the route of the Wii U, with a handful of quality 1st party games and a host Indie games.

Does look like the Switch is quicker & supports upto 1080p when docked

Did you note the subscription based Nintendo online service?! Looks like we'll get a few months free, then the sub will launch back end of the year. 
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,337 Valuable Player
    For $299, what the hell, I'll get one. Even just for Zelda and Mario it would probably be worth it. Not really concerned about the tech specs, I already have a PS4 Pro and banging PC if I want to play high-end games. So this will just be a fun little addition on the side.
    You sir, have too much money
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Forget 720p and the fact it's an old game I believe the real issue here to be excited is being able to play Skyrim mobile. Now that is something rather special and not to be scoffed at. 
    You are right.  Clearly I was out of line. I apologize, sir!

/smacks self
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 101
    Art3mis

I'm thinking about picking one up for the portable game play function. I haven't own a portable gaming system since the gameboy/game gear days.

I could never really get into the games offered with a tablet or mobile. I much prefer full games like Sonic or Mario.

@kevink808 not sure if you are being sincere?

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,248 Poster of the Week
    Eventually! I skipped over the WiiU so I guess I'm due for another Nintendo console..

So far there's a few games I'm interested in, at least.. but I REALLY hope to see F-Zero make a comeback, or a new Animal Crossing (that isn't just a spinoff like Happy Home Designer or that board game).. or a Monster Hunter that isn't just a lazy port of one of the existing 3DS titles.

They release some of those and I'll definitely invest in one of these things.
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    Trinity
    @CrashFu ... don't know about F-zero, but Redout has been confirmed for the Switch. Plus another F-zero influenced title called Fast RMX.