New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What to install?

IamMeISayIamMeISay Posts: 4
NerveGear
I have Unity 5.5, and VS2015 Enterprise installed, and working together. My long term goal is to develop for Gear VR. and the Rift. Do I need to have an Oculus SDK installed as well? If so, what exactly should I have installed, any/all of the below?

Oculus SDK for Windows V1.10.1
Oculus Mobile SDK V1.0.4
Oculus Audio SDK Plugins V1.1.2
Oculus Utilities for Unity 5 V1.10.0

What about items from "Other Resources"? The downloads I'm referring to are listed here:

https://developer3.oculus.com/downloads/

If someone can provide specifics, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Comments

• Arock387Arock387 Posts: 729
    Trinity
    I'm not a developer but I remember them saying to download the SDK if you planned on developing during the DK2 stages.  I'm going to assume its still something you need but ive also read that Unity has some stuff built in but I have not dabbled.  Sorry I'm not much help, just wanted to show you weren't being ignored. someone with more knowledge will eventually see this and answer you. 
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 110
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    If you have the Oculus Runtime installed and working, You can actually write games that are Oculus Rift compatible in recent Unity versions without ANY additional plugins. Just go to the settings, and under "player", check the "Supports Virtual Reality". When you push "play" in the editor, you will notice that its tracking your Rift, and if you put the headset on, you will be in your game. When you create your executable, it will also be Rift compatible. You can, of course, add the Oculus Tools for Unity plugin to get Oculus-specific functions. For Gear VR, you just change to Android build, but you'll also need an API key from the Oculus developer site that will need to be included with your game data. I can give ya more details if you need them.
  • IamMeISayIamMeISay Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yes, if you can give more, that would be good. I don't have any hardware as of yet, rift, or gear VR. I want to develop and know that things will work when I get something. Probably gonna start with the Gear VR. What kind of functions are oculus specific, is there some documentation about it?

What do you mean by changing to android build? Is there an option to build for android, and just click that at build time?

Thanks for your help.