New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Gear VR not working when phone inserted

KPFDCO3KPFDCO3 Posts: 3
NerveGear
Hello, I have a Samsung S7 and Gear VR Model SM-R322.  I purchased the VR headset about 6 months ago and it worked ok, I haven't used it in about a month or two and decided today to try it out again.  When I inserted it into the phone it beeps and blanks out the screen.  After about 3 seconds the screen returns to the Oculus screen without entering into the VR mode.  Searching the internet I saw a lot of folks are having the same issue.  Any recommendations?  I have already...

Reset the phone
Cleaned the connectors on the VR and Phone
Uninstalled & Reinstalled all the VR S/W

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm actually not sure what the solution is, but I have heard this issue mentioned before. I would recommend doing a full factory reset on the phone, then docking into the Gear VR before installing any other software. If that doesn't work, I would take both the phone and Gear VR to your cell phone carrier's store to see if they can assist. Hope that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    Before doing a factory reset, try opening a VR app directly (without going to Oculus home) by selecting the app from your normal Android environment. Then insert your phone into your Gear VR, then take it back out. 

This sounds strange, but this was the solution to a problem that occurred within the last six months where my Gear VR refused to launch. It had to do with the Oculus software not realizing it needed to update. 

Whatever happened to the days of "just blow on it"? :-)
  • KPFDCO3KPFDCO3 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the suggestions, turns out it was the "crappy connector" in the VR Gear where the phone plugs in.  I removed the two small screws holding the cover to it and it gave me enough slack so that the phone does not disconnect when inserted now.  Its a short term fix but better than nothing.
    One thing to remember, the part on the Gear VR that connects to your phone has two different positions (to accommodate different sized phones) so make sure it is in the correct position. You can just pull it and it can snap into the different modes.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • KPFDCO3KPFDCO3 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Thanks it was in the correct position "B" for the model I have, moving it to the other position "A" puts the connector even further away from the phone when inserted.  I am not sure if it was the connector backed away or is damaged in the mounting bracket.  In order for me to get it to work I removed the plastic piece(mounted with two black screws) that covers the USB connector on the VR.  Once removed, it allows the phone to sit closer(couple of mm) to the USB allowing it to enter into VR mode.
    That doesn't sound normal. You may want to contact Samsung or the store you purchased the Gear VR from and see if it's possible to get a replacement. Hope that helps.
  • ianwjensenianwjensen Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    SOLUTION POSSIBILITY:

I tried it all. I tried a different headset, I tried a different phone on the headset and it worked. I uninstalled the apps in order and reinstalled, I did a factory reset on my phone TWICE.

It turns out there was dirt in the USB C port on my phone. This is a common issue I guess, I tried scraping it with a piece of plastic, blew it with compress air but that wasn't good enough. I had to get an exacto knife and really work in there getting rid of any and all dirt. If you don't see metal in the bottom, the dirt is still there. If you don't use a thin piece of metal and be REALLY careful, you could break the connector. Replacing the connector is $75 in my hood but luckil I didn't have to do that. If the bottom of that port doesn't shine, you have dirt in there. 

Life is good again.