cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fakxRIFT 0.1 - another Music Visualizer for the Rift

akoehn
Honored Guest
Hey Rifters,

I wanted to share with you the first demo of my music visualizer ported for the Oculus Rift!
Ever since (2001) I got interested in gfx programming I maintained this music visualizer project of mine to learn about gfx programming and finally started porting it to the Rift 😄
The original (never released) version has much more scenes built into it, but these two are my favorite ones I wanted to share as a teaser (so stay tuned 😉 ). I really tried to make it react to music as good as I can without having a decent beat detection algorithm. It is all based on spectrum analysis using fft and some summation over the bass, mid and treble frequencies.
I am using fmod and Cinder http://libcinder.org/ for this project, which already has an Oculus binding (thx to https://github.com/simongeilfus!). Thus I am leaving my own 'engine' behind, which explains the porting I have to do. I am also investigating using Unity out of curiosity... (and because everybody seems to be using it these days 😉 )
My code is far from being 'nice/cleaned up' to be released as an open source project, but I definitely have this in mind.
It currently only runs on windows, although cinder is cross platform. If you have any problems running it I apologize in advance; I have to add some logging functionality to be able to track errors you might encounter.

The application listens to your microphone input, so please ensure to have your mic active and turn up the volume to see the effects 😉

fakxRIFT.zip

Some instructions:
Press 1 to change between the two scenes:
1) Cubes spinning around and reacting to the bass and spectrum
2) A tunnel, whose walls react to the spectrum and the speed you fly through the tunnel is determined by the sum of bass, mids and treble in the song. I recommend to stand up and follow the tunnel hole with your movements 😉

Press 'a' or 's' to decrease/increase the eye separation
Press 'esc' to exit the application

So I hope you have fun with the demo, I strongly recommend some bass heavy music like D'n'B or Dubstep to experience the effects (e.g Bassnectar, Rusko - Cockney Thug (Caspa Remix) or ITAL TEK- Cyclical)

I appreciate your comments!

Enjoy and dive deeep,
fakx

Known issues:
- Sometimes the cubes scene disappears due to invalid rotation matrices...
- I really want to support headphones, so one can really immerse, but I dunno know how to setup fmod to record the output of the soundcard instead of the mic input. Any hints appreciated...

(Please also install VC10 SP1 Redistributable http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=8328)

9 REPLIES 9

Frito
Explorer
dlin! was waiting for another visualizer!!!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

cybereality
Grand Champion
It just crashes for me.

Win7 64-bit, GTX 680.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

akoehn
Honored Guest
Ok, I forgot to mention that you have to install the VC10 SP1 redistributable (x86) from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=8328

Please try and report again!

cybereality
Grand Champion
I already have that installed, I don't think that's the issue.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

akoehn
Honored Guest
Ok, I will add some logs and upload another version soon! thx for testing though!

EDIT: Ok stupid me, the previous version contained code to connect to a webcam, which is used for the third, not yet available, scene. This crashed if you hadn't a webcam attached to your system...
uploaded v0.1.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
this is dope, but i really hope you can integrate it with the audio straight from the computer without requiring a microphone. love the visuals, very sharp and trippy.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"jayoh" wrote:
this is dope, but i really hope you can integrate it with the audio straight from the computer without requiring a microphone. love the visuals, very sharp and trippy.

Aha! That explains why I get a black screen -- I have no mic input (silly desktop PC!). I can see how that would be neat for having a visualizer system that's separate from where the music is coming from, but it definitely would be great to have the option to have it listen to whatever's playing in the background (or even better, pick a music file via VR file picker).

I like those screenshots though! 🙂
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

akoehn
Honored Guest
Thx for the dope 😄
I am currently working on it, trying to make it work without mic!
BTW I've added video links to youtube with 30 secs of the 'cubes scene' and the 'tunnel scene' for the Rift.

cya,
FakX

akoehn
Honored Guest
"jayoh" wrote:

Ok I checked it. You have to activate the record device 'stereo mix', which should be available in your record device dialog (right click on the sound icon in your taskbar). You have to enable the display of deactivated devices (Please see here for an instruction: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/)

I couldn't test it since my CIrrus Logic soundcard (or the drivers) does not support this 'stereo mix' device... :cry: