New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

nalex66's sketchbook

nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
edited January 19 in Oculus Medium
Okay, so I figured I'd do as a few others have done and set up my own thread to show off some of my stuff instead of continuing in the "First sculpt" thread.

Here's my Medium gallery link. I'll try to update it soon with all my sculpts now that they've opened it up to international users.

I finally got around to adding flesh to my Terminator sculpt:

And then I carved some away for that classic Terminator look:

It's not a great Arnie, but I kind of got sick of it, and just wanted to get on with the carving. Having the ability to make layers transparent would have helped immensely for building the flesh layer over the robo-skeleton.

i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    Here's an earlier sculpt I did to try out making a caricatured human head (similar to the one I use for my forum avatar):

i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,047 Poster of the Week
    Flesh carving in Medium is so much fun!
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    That Terminator is so awesome! Great job!
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,456 Poster of the Week
    yes the terminator is soo good B)
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    It is! I used various rock stamps for the carving, to get some nice gnarly edges--just kept changing the scale and orientation, and hacking out bits of flesh. Originally I thought I would sculpt the flesh in red clay and paint the skin colour on, so the cut-away areas would be red, but in the end it was easier to paint the wounded parts.
    nalex66 said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    It is! I used various rock stamps for the carving, to get some nice gnarly edges--just kept changing the scale and orientation, and hacking out bits of flesh. Originally I thought I would sculpt the flesh in red clay and paint the skin colour on, so the cut-away areas would be red, but in the end it was easier to paint the wounded parts.
    I add a muscle layer then skin over the top. Seems to "gore-up" easier for me if I have the two as separate layers.
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    nalex66 said:
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    I add a muscle layer then skin over the top. Seems to "gore-up" easier for me if I have the two as separate layers.
    I guess one could quickly make an "under-skin" layer by duplicating the skin layer and then carefully deflating it to make the surface sit just below the skin. I certainly wouldn't want to manually model an additional thin layer over top of my flesh layer!
    Just slap it on thick then carve it away til it looks right. Deflate is good for bringing it down to dermis-thin. I love the way the top layer rips apart and exposes the meat beneath. Makea me feel like Virtual Dexter. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Great job!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    @nalex66 looks like your having a bit of a Titanic moment there!  :D
    @FrozenPea Dude! Can't unsee  :s

FrozenPea said:
    @nalex66 looks like your having a bit of a Titanic moment there!  :D
    Yeah, I couldn't resist doing the selfie! I thought it was pretty hilarious to put myself on the back of the bike.