New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

DJ's Sketchbook

DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 637
Neo
https://www.oculus.com/medium/artists/deadlyjoe/

I practiced this week by free handing a wolf skull from photo references. It's pretty inaccurate from a scientific point of view, but still looks cool, I guess. Total modeling time was about 2 hours. :)

Comments

• DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 637
    Neo
    edited February 8
    This was only the second full-body dragon that I've ever modeled in any software. The first one was nearly a decade ago. There are a lot of features I don't like, some I do. The hands need a lot of work, the hind legs are kinda wrong, especially the ankle joint. The hind feet came out okay, though. I'm still trying to learn where muscles need to go. Anywho... I might practice adding wrinkles and veins, redo the hands, and add more detail to the skin overall later this week. 

Total modeling time was 3 hours 45 minutes.

Neo
    Better hands... still needs some tweaking. Also, I've uploaded this model to my gallery. 

Neo
    This is kind of a street tough sort of guy. I haven't modeled many humans, so I was glad when this turned out as well as it did. Total modeling time was about 40 minutes.

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,042 Poster of the Week
    Brilliant! 
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Aaaaaaaaaarrrgh the horrrorrr..
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 162 Poster of the Week
    Nice work!

• cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 627
    Neo
     Very good natural naturalistic effects. The rocks, the trees, even the blades of grass. Did you have to do the grass blade by blade?  The patience required makes me shudder! 
    Neo
    Did you have to do the grass blade by blade? 

I made a comb-like stamp and kind of took advantage of low frame rate to randomly paint in the grass. It went pretty quickly.

The tree bark, on the other hand, was a real pain. Every line of bark was manually painted, and I had to go slow enough to prevent aliasing.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    edited May 5
    Seriously impressive man! I hope you can finish it, the pose is awesome! It's like a Yin-Yang :)
    Holy shit, mate, that surface detail is above and beyond. It's making my arms sore just looking at it. And yeah, alphas (both sculpt and paint) have been pretty much items 1 thru 500 on my wishlist since day one.
  • InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 108 Poster of the Week
    Excellent work dude ,  artistically and technically.
    Asus Z170 m'board : i7 6700 cpu : corsair liquid cooling : GTX1080 gpu : 32gb hyperfury x memory : 250gb sata : 2tb hdrive : 2 sensor tracking
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 284 Oculus Staff
    Wow, really awesome, can't wait to see finished result.
  • CalmfixupCalmfixup Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    Don't know how I missed your sketchbook before, some fantastic work here man.  This last piece is amazing - it's not even finished and I'm already blown away. Keep it up!!!
    Neo
    Thanks much, guys. It's a long-haul project for sure.
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Damn mate, that is outstanding detail!!
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 162 Poster of the Week
    Nice job!
    That's awesome. Loving the pose and expression!
    Neo
    Thanks much!
  • MartinityMartinity Posts: 137 Poster of the Week
    Great work in here I really love your  cartoony stuff. Looking forward to seeing more of your models. 
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 284 Oculus Staff
    Rad. the sense of potential energy in the pose is great.
  • InkyTheOctopusInkyTheOctopus Posts: 108 Poster of the Week
    Excellent sculpt , really dynamic!
    Asus Z170 m'board : i7 6700 cpu : corsair liquid cooling : GTX1080 gpu : 32gb hyperfury x memory : 250gb sata : 2tb hdrive : 2 sensor tracking