cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Forum Tool

kojack
MVP
MVP
Inspired by a post by @YoLolo69, I've created a little tool to make forum use a little nicer, without needing Cyber to hack around in the server code and with us able to customise.

Oculus Forum Tool is a script for either Grease Monkey (Firefox) or Tamper Monkey (Chrome) that adds colour coding to posts on this forum.
https://github.com/rajetic/oculusforumtool

Currently it recognises and colour codes as follows:
Oculus staff - blue.
Volunteer moderators - orange.
Your own posts - cyan.
Banned users - yellow.
Everybody else - normal black.
(Note: the "your own posts" takes precedence, so an oculus staff member will see their own posts in cyan, not staff blue)

On the subject list, it colours the subject text.
Within a thread, it colours the box at the top of a post and the border around the post (not the post's text).

Here's some examples:

atnl4h2vaq76.png

es6wl9f9gu3p.png

At the moment there's no easy user customisation interface. I may add that, but I really hate javascript programming (but I love the idea of messing with websites to make them behave how I want).
But you can edit the colours used in the script itself, they are all defined near the top.

Another possible enhancement (don't hold your breath) is custom behaviour based on user name. Currently it's all based on class data the forum exposes, I don't need to deal with names. But if I did, it would let you flag specific people you want coloured.

Feel free to read the source before installing. It's pretty small. All it does is look for certain LI or DIV tags and change their style setting on your local system. These scripts can also do some pretty evil things, so it's best to always be wary.

Other browser support? Maybe, if they have some equivalent to greasemonkey. I tried Opera scripting in the past, it annoyed me so I quit.

How to install:
Firefox
- Install Grease Monkey. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey
- You should be able to drag & drop the script file onto Firefox and it will ask to install.
Chrome
- Install Tamper Monkey. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en
- This was trickier. It seems TM won't install scripts unless they come from the chrome store or you made them yourself. So I told it to make a new script then copy/pasted the code over the top.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
16 REPLIES 16

maxpare79
Trustee
NIce work @kojack

I am on chrome, copied and paste your script in a new script in TM, but even if the script is running it doesn't change my forum appearance.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hmm, what's the url you are using to view the forum?
The script is set up to work with any url matching https://forums.oculus.com/*

If the url is fine and Tampermonkey says the script is running, could you grab a copy of the page source for this thread (it has two people who should have colours applied) and send it to me? Maybe some forum setting is different for you and the layout doesn't exactly match what I've based this on.

Edit: one thing to note, the colours won't apply when a new post is made. You need to refresh the window. The submit button modifies the page instead of reloading and my script only runs once during page load.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

CrashFu
Consultant
*follows directions*

Hey, it works, I think.  Color-coding achieved!

Curiously enough, your OP in this thread is showing up as the default black, but the post you (and max) made after that DO show up in the orange.

P.S.  And when I first posted THIS post, it showed up as black until I refreshed the page, after which it became blue.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Good point, the op colouring isn't working. It was working at one point. Back to testing. 🙂

Threads you made yourself currently can't have your opening post coloured because the forum doesn't mark them with the correct class code, I'd have to get the user name and test for that. But it should spot others like mods/admins/banned for op posts (but is broken as you pointed out).

Op posts and replies use different layouts and need explicit code, even though they look identical.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Fixed the opening post issue. I had refactored my colour code, but only did it completely for the replies and subject list, the op post code was half old and half new.
I think the page I was testing on was really page 2 with my post at the top, not page 1, so it looked like it was working. 🙂

vannagirl
Consultant
wow

a great idea, ty

also
Banned users = Pink
I see what you did there :#
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

YoLolo69
Trustee
Wow+1!

Just tested it, that's pretty good, work perfectly (Firefox here), thanks a bunch Kojack! 🙂

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

kojack
MVP
MVP
Just tested, it works in Vivaldi and Edge too.
Vivaldi can use chrome extentions, so just install Tampermonkey.
Edge has a port of Tampermonkey too, use the Edge extentions panel to search for it.

maxpare79
Trustee
I am on the road today @kojack I will get back to you tonight 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner