cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Knockout League Is Arcade Style Boxing At Its Best!

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIxRN_EpJC8

I have to admit that I didn't think I was going to like Knockout League as much as I did but I've got to say that playing this game is really fun... Exhausting but fun! The game has a great art style that immediately brought back nostalgic memories of playing Super Punch out back in the day but this time I was actually standing in the ring swinging and blocking. Knockout League is also quite a workout in VR! I have mentioned this before, but as someone who is overweight I can really see these more active VR titles as a way of helping me to shed some of my unwanted pounds. Knockout League is currently available for both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive so if you have either one of those systems and want a really fun and very active experience with great graphics and gameplay then I highly recommend this one!
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
18 REPLIES 18

bigmike20vt
Visionary
so i am hovering over a buy after your video - esp like the idea of some exercise... BUT looking at steam reviews have me concerned. some say its not a proper boxing game as such, and more that you have to react in the exact way the game wants you to rather than to actually box and dodge how you see fit.

does that make sense? and if so did you find this to be the case?

thanks.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

mambo1888
Rising Star

so i am hovering over a buy after your video - esp like the idea of some exercise... BUT looking at steam reviews have me concerned. some say its not a proper boxing game as such, and more that you have to react in the exact way the game wants you to rather than to actually box and dodge how you see fit.

thanks.

Thats exactly how I find it mate, not played much but im not too keen on it so far. Would prefer the freedom to duck, move, block and punch but you have to play it almost like a Just Dance type game doing the right move at the right time.

Another problem I have is that you are expected to stand in the one spot and doesn't take advantage of the play space, a toggle option for this would be good for people who are standing only and those that have a decent play area.

The graphics are nice, reminds of Ready 2 Rumble but without the freedom it feels less like a boxing game and more like a "timing" game

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

thanks.

Yes this is the case, it's nothing like real boxing. It is about reacting a specific way to specific attacks, and you can only land punches during certain openings in the fights. Every fight against the same opponent plays out the same. The opponents have a certain set of attacks, some require a certain response, and you have to capitalize on a missed or blocked attack within a certain time. Some attacks you can counter before they are thrown. The fights have three stages, after each knockdown opponent will get stronger (new moves) until the third when they get KOed. Blocking and swaying is timing based not collision based. Blocking is just based on hand positions so it's on or off.

That should give you some idea of how it plays. I do think it's fun, but it's a very arcadey experience and while hard and to some degree physical it's not as good of a workout as TTOTF can be. It's really fun and there is a sense of achievement when you finally beat a hard opponent. Look at a video, just the first opponent or something to make up your mind if you're in doubt.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
thanks guys, i will pass then. will keep an eye on TTOTF but to be honest (shallow i know) but it does not have the eye candy for me.  i guess what i really want would be a "Fight Night VR edition".
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

maxpare79
Trustee
It's not boxing,  it's like Punch Out,  find the pattern of your oponent and exploit it with the right timing, if you are 35yo+ and you loved Punch Out on the NES you will love this. If you are looking for a real boxing game that you can move around the ring then dont get this.  But not every game needs to be a sim,  this is fun for what it is... It reminds me also of the Dreamcast boxing game! 
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

vannagirl
Consultant
I am sure that will come this though still in youtube atleast comes across alot of fun it really reminds me of punch out my brothers played that to death
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

thanks guys, i will pass then. will keep an eye on TTOTF but to be honest (shallow i know) but it does not have the eye candy for me.  i guess what i really want would be a "Fight Night VR edition".

I guess TTOTF will get prettier to some extent at least, and in combination with improved gameplay maybe that will sway you over. You never know how long till a better game comes around. Especially when it gets multiplayer The Thrill Of The Fight will be great.  For now a Fight Night VR equivalent is probably still pretty far off in the future.

Thug
Heroic Explorer
"it too much like a game"
"Its very arcadey"
"nothing like real boxing"
"its not a proper boxing game"

Hell, you fight an Octopus, AN OCTOPUS!!!!, what on earth do you expect, Queensbury rules???

Its a great game and a good workout too, its only the price of a couple of pints so just buy it.
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star

Thug said:

"it too much like a game"
"Its very arcadey"
"nothing like real boxing"
"its not a proper boxing game"

Hell, you fight an Octopus, AN OCTOPUS!!!!, what on earth do you expect, Queensbury rules???

Its a great game and a good workout too, its only the price of a couple of pints so just buy it.

You of course don't expect a realistic boxing game but you can't tell how the gameplay is like just from there being an octopus opponent.