New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Replacement for Broken Cable! WTF SUPPORT?

VentuzVentuz Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hello!
we preordered the Rift long time ago and recieved it at the 06-07-2016.
The HDMI cable is now broken since of extensive use in our company. The point is: You can NOT Spot this damage from outside, its inside one or more of the copperwires are broken.. a lose contact. which happens to a lot of cables if you move things around.

i asked the support by mail for the storepage to order a new one. there is none.
i was going trough the WHOLE process, organizing all numbers, did a STRANGE LOGFILE COLLECTION (where i dont know what kind of data YOU collect), i was asked to send photos of the damage: AGAIN: its not a visible broken cable, its not our cats or rats did eat the cable.. ITS SIMPLY BROKEN INSIDE!!!

Now the support still wants to have PHOTOS of a DAMAGED cable, else its not the cable.. GUYS! i am in the business for YEARS.. and if i shale at a given point, while fixing the cable left and right.. i got a disconnect. If i wear and take of the HMD i get a disconnect.. 

Can you SIMPLY send a DAMN Cable?
THANKS!

We have this issue on ALL MACHINES in our company!!!! ALL.. i mean even our clusters and workstations desktops EVERYWHERE .. shall i follo your "standard support answered methods - like checkt the compability tool etc" ?? SERIOUSLY?

You know what? Our marketing is VERY interested in this case, especially since the ISE in Amsterdam is coming up next :) Many customers will be very very interested to hear the support process a CUSTOMER has to do to get a replacement cable!

FOLLOW LOG / Discussion!:

George

George (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 4:06 PM PST

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for your continued patience. This was escalated so I could provide some additional information and advanced troubleshooting. Please keep in mind this is a consumer product which is not a commercial product at this time. We will have cables available for sale on our store in the very near future. If your cable has damage please send us a photo showing the damage and we'd be happy to look into replacement options. If the cable is not physically damaged then the cable may not be the cause of the issue you're experiencing. Disconnections can happen from issues with the port on the headset itself, using unsupported computers/laptops, 3rd party adapters, using incompatible 3rd party software, or software configurations on the computer such as 3rd party software, drivers, corrupt OS installations, power settings and other variables.

Please attempt the following steps if the cable doesn't have any physical damage:

·         Run our Compatibility Tool to make sure your computer meets the required specs and send over the results.

·         Remove the Headset Cable From Your Rift by following that article and then plug it back in on both ends. The headset HDMI side should snap into place when fully plugged in. It's worth trying to wiggle it to make sure it's all the way in place.

·         Check each end of the cable for any damage. If you see anything in particular please send a photo of the pins so we can analyze it. There should be one pin on the HDMI cable that is bent inwards and that is the grounding pin so it is normal.

·         Make sure the Rift is plugged directly into the HDMI port of the same graphics card that the primary display is plugged into. This is very important.

·         Check that you have all available updates for your operating system installed and that you do not have any software that could be causing conflicts such as anti-virus software.

·         Disable any power saving utilities and if you have Nvidia g-sync please try disabling it in your graphics card settings. Also if you have a WLAN card try disabling that as well and or unplugging 3rd party accessories that may be diverting power as that could be the cause as well.

·         Check that your USB and Display drivers are up to date. If the issue persists please try rolling back your graphics driver to the previous version to see if it's an issue with that specific driver version. It may also be worth removing the drivers via Device Manager for your USB3 and let Windows use the default drivers.

·         If you're on Windows 10 go into your Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers and disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in each of your controllers power management tab.

·         Boot the computer into safe mode and completely uninstall Oculus Home and associated files. Afterwards reboot the PC and do a clean installation.

I just need to verify that you have done these steps so I can check for any alternative conflicts that could cause this issue. I appreciate your patience with this issue and I look forward to your reply so I can get this taken care of for you.

Thanks,

George
Oculus Support

Ash

Ash (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 5:37 AM PST

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the Oculus Logs, and your cooperation.

We just want to make sure it is just a cable issue that's why we run all these tests and gather this information.

Please allow us some time to review, your patience is appreciated.

Respectfully,

Ash
Oculus Support

Dennis Dworak

Jan 25, 5:26 AM PST

Hello,

here you go.
This should be enough data you should need to REPLACE A BROKEN CABLE!!!!! FFS!

regards

Dennis 

Attachment(s)
LOGS HERE

Ash

Ash (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 4:43 AM PST

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for following up.

I'd just like to collect the Oculus Logs as well. The steps to collecting them can be found below.

·         Open the run window (Windows key + R)

·         Enter and run: C:\program files\oculus\support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe

·         Wait for the executable file to pop up

·         Select ‘Get All Logs’

·         Wait for the log collection to finish. It should pop up a Windows Explorer window at the location of your newly collected logs.

·         It automatically generates a zip file and copies the zip to the clipboard so you can paste it to your desktop

·         Attach this zip file to your next support response

I appreciate you working with us, and look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Ash
Oculus Support

ME

Jan 25, 4:38 AM PST

Hello and thanks for your ultrafast Reply:
Please see attached a photo from the box and all our informations from our order –
Please keep in mind we are a COMPANY and not only a single person, therefore you read different names, these are all related to "COMPANY HERE" here in Germany.

My Name is :

ALL DATA IN HERE

The WMVR is : VMVR102q30023B (see attached photo)

Thank you very much!

Attachment(s)
oculus_wmvr.jpg

Ash

Ash (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 3:47 AM PST

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for working with us.

While we look into this further for you, I'd like to collect some additional information.

·         Your full name.

·         Your current shipping address.

·         Your Rift serial number (it's found on the bottom of the Rift box and usually starts with WMVR).

·         Your Rift order number of proof of purchase.

I'd also like to confirm, that there does not appear to be any damage outwardly to the Rift cable?

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Ash
Oculus Support

Ryder

Ryder (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 3:39 AM PST

Hello again Dennis,

Thank you for following up, give us sometime to look into this for you further,

Kind regards,

Ryder
Oculus Support

Dennis Dworak

Jan 25, 3:08 AM PST

There are no Pictures,

the cable is broken.. its like a lose contact. The Rift software quits/opens up/quits/ opens up.. if you shake the cable sometime the display turns off and on..

I just need a replacement cable. Where can we buy such.. like for the HTC VIVE : you go into the store and order another cable.

Thanks

Dennis

Ryder

Ryder (Oculus Support)

Jan 25, 2:43 AM PST

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for reaching out to us about your cable,

Could I have you provide pictures of the damage please?

Looking forward to your reply,

Ryder
Oculus Support

Dd

Dd

Jan 25, 2:04 AM PST

Hello,

our HDMI cabel from the Rift is broken, it has a loose contact or the cable itself is broken.
Where can we buy an exchange cable?

Your store is more or less not existing.. its just to buy sensors, controllers, etc pp but no replacement stuff...

thank you in advance.

German Shop preferred

Thanks
Dennis

Comments

• EricZafriusRasnakeEricZafriusRasnake Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    TO those in the broken HDMI tooth department. You will need a new cable. I am sure the twists are the tracking problem as well. I enforced a new cable with a stronger connect.(not shown here) Never looked so good. It's not met to last. at all! But this is my only way to work on my mods virtually. Thank you  Oculus for the experience of a life time. your all we got! I have a new respect for you. your old boss anyway.If we didn't have you , we wood have nothing. You don't know what you got till it's gone..
    https://twitter.com/zafrius// 
    Usually there lol
  • aaron.stevens.3304aaron.stevens.3304 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Experienced the exact same issue. The cable seems to be designed to fail.