Motherboard suggestions? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Motherboard suggestions?

SnowSnow Posts: 3
NerveGear
I'm having trouble selecting a motherboard for a new PC build that I plan on using for a Rift.

Which motherboards are relatively new and work well with the Rift?

Best Answer

Answers

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    not asus, rift dont like asus
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    elboffor said:
    I have an Asus and it works great. Its kinda old though, a Z77 Sabertooth. 

The best ones are made for the LGA  2011-v3 chipsets, some have over a dozen USB 3.0 ports on the back. The only problem is you will have to spring for a $1000 cpu. 

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte all make Z270 boards with 5+ combined USB 3 and 3.1 ports. Just look over the specs to see which has which. 

I am planning on building this spring and Im looking at a Asus Maximus IV Code Z270. 

I've always used asus boards. But I rarely hear people with none asus boards moaning. 
    My current board is older than yours x55 saberrooth I believe.
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 246
    Nexus 6
    I'm using an Asus (haha!) z170i, and so is my brother in law - zero issues so far with the onboard USBs and everything. 980ti for me, 1060 for him.
  • brackus1brackus1 Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    I would get something with at least 5 USB 3.0 ports in the rear, for starters.

If you have a headset with 2 sensors, then you've already used up 3 USB ports.  And if you have other USB devices,  like printers or scanners, then that's a total of at least 5 right there.  Want 4 sensors?  Hey, you're running out of ports. :)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,247 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    brackus1 said:
    I would get something with at least 5 USB 3.0 ports in the rear, for starters.

If you have a headset with 2 sensors, then you've already used up 3 USB ports.  And if you have other USB devices,  like printers or scanners, then that's a total of at least 5 right there.  Want 4 sensors?  Hey, you're running out of ports. :)

Agreed. But don't let that limit your choices, usually the case will have 2-3 USB ports and you can always add a USB card if you need more. My MB cake with 5, I have two additional on the case itself, and an expansion card with four more. Lol I should be good 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I've heard issues with Asus drivers, but I'm using an X99-Deluxe at home and things are working great.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    x99 deluxe it is for me when I next buy one then lol
  • JohnMadduxJohnMaddux Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm also using the Asus Z170i and I have no complaints. It's a great board for smaller builds.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    Old Asus Z87-Pro, no problems really. Two sensors on Asmedia 3.0, Rift on Intel3.0.
    Seems like a solid board to me although I cannot say anything about newer Asus boards.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    JeremyC85 said:

Agreed. But don't let that limit your choices, usually the case will have 2-3 USB ports and you can always add a USB card if you need more. My MB cake with 5, I have two additional on the case itself, and an expansion card with four more. Lol I should be good 
    The number of USB ports on the rear panel may also be deceiving.  I think it's commonplace for MBs to use shared USB ports.  These share power and bandwidth, since you may not be using both USB devices (e.g. printer or camera) at the same time.  So, if you have 4 USB ports, you may actually have 2 pairs of shared USB ports.  It may be better to get a USB PCI-E expansion card powered USB hub if you have to plug in many sensors.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    A powered hub is still limited by the bandwidth available on the controller it's plugged into.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    elboffor said:
    Nonsense.  I have an asus and my friend has a different asus motherboard.  Our rifts work perfectly.  We both have 3 sensors.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2017
    A powered hub is still limited by the bandwidth available on the controller it's plugged into.
    Fixed.
    Brain Burst
    I have noticed some MB manufacturers are adding claims like "VR Ready!" to their advertisements.  My motherboard was "VR Ready" years ago, so I find this to be a bunch of marketing hype.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    Apparently I have z170 pro gaming Asus and with no issues so far

Although with 3 sensor it it okay up in the setup unable to see all then just worked and continues to

Odd also i logged in and store is facing wrong way now and that reset hmd seems broken it asks to run the whole setup
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SrgtPlugDatPussSrgtPlugDatPuss Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I use the asus P8P67 Le & Its ONLY got 2x 3.0 ports lolz & i run 2 sensors & the oculus just fine uuuuup until i tried doing the 3 sensor setup now i am burt soooo its time to buy the pcie 4x 3.0 adaptor Oculus Dev's reccomend. Hopefully this works whats everyones opinion on getting a new strix mother board too match my strix Rog Gtx 1070 Gpu?
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    I've got an Asus Z270H, no issues at all. I7-7700K, 32gb ram, 980TI