cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSA concerning RMAs of Rift headsets [complete vs partial RMA]

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
This is an FYI for those doing HMD replacements.

Despite only one piece of hardware having a fault (usually), you are meant to send it back in the original box including all the original components. i.e. Xbox controller, sensor and remote.

If you fail to do this and choose to provide only the headset, several things will happen:

A ) There will be a delay of at least several days if not longer as the internal departments will have to communicate to one another that this has happened, and in doing so, one of them will most likely sit on it and not take action. Make sure you chase accordingly to ensure that the service department has informed support and that they are aware.

B ) They will offer a partial RMA, meaning a like for like. Accept this.

C ) You will not get back your original box as the replacement headset will come in it's own box. It's effectively the same internals, with the clips to hold the HMD in place, however it's not as fancy as the standard box. 

D ) They will not send back the original box, or give you another. Additionally you cannot later send back the other components in hopes of having a box replacement because A ) They'll need to be shown as faulty first and B ) They'll be replaced in their own individual boxes.

The box that the HMD RMA came in, it is a fully official stamped product. Meaning the title, name, details and marketing picture are on the box. It says to me that they've already got 'spares' in rotation and stocked for when and if they start selling them.

In conclusion, even though you are not returning a sensor, controller or remote for replacement, it's a part of the overall RMA, so send it all unless there's some extenuating circumstance preventing you from doing so. In that case, refer to the notes above about the outcome.

1 REPLY 1

I take it you have had to get a replacement Hollywood?  If so, what is your overall view of the experience?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3