New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Abbot's Book (Narrative VR game).

Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
Neo
edited January 2017 in Games and Apps
This game is not out yet, but there is a demo on Steam. The demo is short and not anything really special, but it will give an idea of the game, and it seems promisiing. I thought it might be of interest to some, since I can't remember having ever heard about it. It's an episodic game with ep 1 coming soon. It's a narrative driven game so don't expect an action game or anything like that. The only thing you control in the demo is where to go and some dialoge options.

I am really looking forward to "grand" experiences in VR, playing something that will take you on a memorable journey, and this could be great. The graphics on the Torch flame is quite bad, because it's just a flat 2d flame, other than that it seems promising. The graphics could be better in many ways, but the enviroment is interesting and well designed. It uses teleportation to set points, for those who need artificial movement to enjoy games, this demo will be crap. :smile:

Give it a try!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/434430/

It's been out for some time so some of you may be familiar with it, but I only found it from looking through all the Steam VR demoes.

Comments

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited January 2017
    I must say, this looks impressive. I've been thinking from the start that there arent any games that actually have good looking "human characters" that talk to you and interact with you, which seems silly because that would probably be the best way to super-charge the immersion level in VR.

There have been some games that "tried" like Technolust and The Assembly, but the character models are so primitive that the effect is squandered (not really much you can do on a low budget indie title but dissapointing nonetheless).

PSVR seems to have planted the flag with RE7, which looks amazing.. but this game looks like it has a solid companion character that actually looks like a AAA quality human character model. Excited for this now, will be playing the demo shortly.

Edit: Wow the demo has been out since April last year.. how have I missed this?
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited January 2017
    KillCard said:
    Edit: Wow the demo has been out since April last year.. how have I missed this?
    I guess you really have to look around a bit sometimes, or things like this slides under the radar.

I don't think the devs have a high budget but the quality, except for the torch flame isn't too bad, and as you mentioned, the companion is really well made. This is what I  think is missing from VR for me these early days, games that has lore with depth and interesting places to explore. I really felt a sense of wonder as I progressed though the demo, and really took in my surroundings. The end location is one of the most interesting places I've seen in VR so far. The voice acting was also decent.