SANSAR - VR World from the creators of Second Life — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SANSAR - VR World from the creators of Second Life

ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
It seemed like a no-brainer to me and apparently I wasn't alone.  
The people behind Second Life are bringing a VR world called SANSAR to both the Rift and the Vive.
Read about it here: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603422/second-life-is-back-for-a-third-life-this-time-in-virtual-reality/

How many generations until we get the Oasis?
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C Clarke

Comments

• PhilSurteesPhilSurtees Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    You can still download the CtrlAltStudio viewer and use it with Oculus Rift, even though support has been dropped. This will give you an idea of what it would look like. It might inject some new life into the Second Life type of world.
  • flexy123flexy123 Posts: 791
    3Jane
    edited January 2017
    I've only been once in SL, some years ago and found it awful, also from a technical point of view.

But as for these new VR world/social places, there is a lot more cooking. High-Fidelity for example which is from the former CEO of S/L, and Sansar which is by the current CEO of S/L. (Correct me if I am wrong). The both founders are sort of in a friendship/rivalry relationship as far as I know, that is of both platforms will be competing with each other, but both the guys are also constructively sharing their ideas with each other. It will be interesting to see which platform will ultimately "win".

I hadn't had a chance to check out Sansar, this is not open yet, only for "creators", but I am almost every day in High-Fidelity which is amazing from a technical point of view. It makes Altspace look pathetic. But HiFi still lacks polish and most importantly accessibility for "average people", who are not into 3D Modeling, design, scripting etc.  So the people on High-Fi right now (not too many, but getting gradually more) mostly are devs, employees of HiFi (which is OpenSource, by the way)...or geeks/nerds/3D designers. (This is my impression).

Obviously I cannot say ANYTHING about Sansar, simply judging from the pictures which look "very nice", but what strikes me (repeatedly) when I read about Sansar is that darn world "monetization" - and I have an inkling this is planned to be a giant, well, let's just say it, money grab where really everything will be sold, rented and well, "monetized", including virtual assets and whatnot.

I also think that ultimately (at least for now) how technical advanced a VR social platform is won't count, this is also why currently MOST people are on AltSpaceVR which is really super-primitive and doesn't even have real customizable avatars. Also, currently LOTS (most!) in VR is actually driven by mobile VR like GearVR, which drives the masses to AltSpace while Sansar/High-Fi don't support phones but are for "high-end" VR like the Rift and Vive. And obviously the number of those users is still small compared to the people with "phone VR". But this will also change in the coming years when actual real VR becomes cheaper for the masses. Saying, I "predict" that the platform will "win" which will ultimately draw the most people...and let's not forget that facebook also has something cooking...but heck yeah, the good thing is that facebook owns Oculus. It would be extremely weird (to say it mildly) when facebook VR would be at the level of AltSpaceVR, basically a phone app which doesn't even remotely use the capabilities of a Rift/Vive system.

** As for "social VR" in general, there is so much potential in this it's hideous to just think about it. This starts with simple "hanging out" and meeting others, to meetings, attending conferences and events, shows, music performances, advertising, dating, sports, working together etc. Some companies are already hiring in VR right now. It's absolutely the future and will totally change how we interact with each other. I don't think most are realizing what an impact this will have.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,790 Valuable Player
    I'll meet you all in the Black Sun, one day.