New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Keeping your Face and HMD clean

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,598 Valuable Player
edited February 2017 in General
Even though I have read through many of the recommendations regarding keeping the Rift's face-plate clean, I never really felt like I was doing a good job. Furthermore, after 7 months of extensive use, I noticed that I tend to breakout (acne) more often, whereas normally my face is fairly absent of such a thing.

So about 2 weeks ago I decided to put on my dress n' heels, and walk on over to the Woman's Makeup section at the local shopping center. It occurred to me that women wipe their faces clean to perfection on such a regular basis, even after applying mounds of makeup... so surely a VR HMD solution must be hidden amongst the makeup removal shelf. And I do believe I was right!

I bought a makeup removal box (facial wipes) that was fairly basic; such as no added chemicals for fragrance, moisture, etc. Just something that deep cleans dirt, oils, and excess toxins. I started using them right after every Rift session. After a week I noticed that the breakouts on my face stopped entirely. Now I use one before a Rift session (to help keep the Rift clean) and I use one after the session, to keep my face clean.

So far I love the results, and recommend it to anyone experiencing something similar with the face breakouts. And using one before a Rift session is just a great way to help keep that face-plate clean.

I did also buy a pack of 20 Face Guards from Amazon, but I am reserving those for friends and family who come over to demo the Rift.

I haven't read anything similar to the use of makeup removal facial wipes (lol?) on this forum, so apologies if this has already been discussed.
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    I tend to wash mine daily...  in sweat.
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 507 Poster of the Week
    I use baby wipes after evey session, wiping the whole Oculus down
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,085 Valuable Player
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,598 Valuable Player
    Yes those are the exact face guards I own, Kevin. However they do not prevent all sweat from getting on the rift, and my point in this thread is more in regards to keeping your own face clean, which those guards certainly do not assist with.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 793 Poster of the Week
    Don't lie. We know it's your cosmetics.
    Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams, Oculus GO 64GB.
    edited February 2017
    I don't go that far, but I do make a point to wash my face before VR sessions.
    For the most part I would do that also. Give or take a few exceptions out of laziness. My problem with the mild breakouts is more recent. It occurred after my Touch controllers hit the scene. And not right away either. It became prevalent when I began the routine of playing Dead & Buried and The Climb, switching back n' forth between the two games over a 4-6 hours session, multiple times per week.

Thanks to the use of 2 fans I don't sweat as much, but the perspiration is clearly adding dirt and oils to the equation in my case. Plus I feel like these particular types of wipes do a slightly better job than standard soap. Although any soap formulated specifically for deep cleaning the face would clearly be a better choice.

The wipes allow me to stay clean while still being lazy lol

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,212 Valuable Player
    Thanks for the beauty tips. I'll ask my girlfriend to get some.
    nalex66 said:
    lovethis said:
    You're not fooling anyone, Lovey. We all know you're a modern pretty lady about town.

Now lend me some of your makeup wipes!
    Bit like the VR game Dead & Buried. I was hoping that thread you've brought back up was Dead & Buried. :)
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    Lovey...

Hahaha
    @lovethis, you are totes getting called this and this alone from now on.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Zenbane said:
    lovethis said:
    Does your girlfriend know that your online handle is "lovethis" ?? Just curious. 
    I think you already know the answer to that question. The funny thing is I pretend I'm just looking at the forums when my girlfriends hovering over my shoulder, I did once say look at the shite that this lovethis bird posts on these forums, has she got nothing better to do. She didn't react when I said that, so she must of thought it's a woman LoL.
    Holy shit. With that story you just became my Forum Mascot. Well played, Lovey!
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 485
    Trinity
    good to see zenbane`s getting in touch with his feminine side ...at last !
    "good to touch zenbane's feminine side"

I seem to be having trouble reading properly these days. I have a sinus infection and have been on antibiotics. FYI
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Witch Hazel is a good natural astringent.  I use that from time to time. It's cheap too.  I also noticed that I get less irritation with the VR Cover pleather pads that came with the replacement interface.  The original foam pads from oculus really trap in the sweat and heat. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,149 Valuable Player
    agenttoff said:
    ...I also noticed that I get less irritation with the VR Cover pleather pads that came with the replacement interface.  The original foam pads from oculus really trap in the sweat and heat. 
    I really like the pleather too. When I got Touch, my Rift foam really started getting disgustingly sweat-soaked from the extra activity. I haven't had that problem with the new facial interface.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • cleetosecleetose Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I never knew skeletons could sweat and get acne.
    I have the original VR cloth covers, but they absorb the hell outta sweat. Plus they do not stand up well after repeated washing. 
  • MikeSpeak24MikeSpeak24 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I think Sony have the best face plate setup on their VR headset, it is super easy to keep clean and dry because it is non porous. when you have multiple players sharing a headset it's literally seconds to give it a wipe before putting on the head set.
     The bare sponge strip on the Oculus Rift face plate is my one and only criticism of my Oculus Rift, bear in mind though that i was so disapointed with PSVR i upgraded to a 1060, bought the rift and gave my PS4 and PSVR to my teenage son lol
     Oculus, i reckon that is the one thing Sony did that you can learn from... the fact that you can buy face gaurds online for the rift shows it's an issue, pls pls fix it ;) 
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    agenttoff said:
    ...I also noticed that I get less irritation with the VR Cover pleather pads that came with the replacement interface.  The original foam pads from oculus really trap in the sweat and heat. 
    I really like the pleather too. When I got Touch, my Rift foam really started getting disgustingly sweat-soaked from the extra activity. I haven't had that problem with the new facial interface.
    I don't sweat much, but it just burned my face.  Regardless of how loose it was I'd end up with those red marks.  The pleather pads still burn a bit, but it's not nearly as bad.   I'm guessing it's from it blocking / suffocating my pores.  
    edited February 2017
    I think Sony have the best face plate setup on their VR headset, it is super easy to keep clean and dry because it is non porous. when you have multiple players sharing a headset it's literally seconds to give it a wipe before putting on the head set.
     The bare sponge strip on the Oculus Rift face plate is my one and only criticism of my Oculus Rift, bear in mind though that i was so disapointed with PSVR i upgraded to a 1060, bought the rift and gave my PS4 and PSVR to my teenage son lol
     Oculus, i reckon that is the one thing Sony did that you can learn from... the fact that you can buy face gaurds online for the rift shows it's an issue, pls pls fix it ;) 
    No doubt that the PSVR is much more comfy... in the way that the HMD cradles the users face right before their software generates nausea inducing reactions lol

The PSVR is equally notorious for vomit and head comfort. Kind of a cruel irony.

But yes, hopefully Oculus will release something comparable in terms of comfort in the future. For now, I will take the unnoticeable discomfort from the Rift in favor of being able to enjoy VR for 5+ hours daily without vomiting :p
  • davidb01davidb01 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    Another vote for baby wipes. Get the at the supermarket, no "buying cosmetics" for the guys.... and they're fantastic! Our kids are all out of nappies but we still by baby wipes to clean everything! :)

More than gentle enough to wipe faceplates etc down.
  • lukwtwzlukwtwz Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    good to see zenbane`s getting in touch with his feminine side ...at last !
    Yep, the mahu with the mostess posts. ('mahu' with the traditional Hawaiian meaning, not mahu the slur). I'm sure one can find those wetnap-ish things to which it refers in a CVS or other such store, without the need for such a masquerade.
    davidb01 said:
    Another vote for baby wipes. Get the at the supermarket, no "buying cosmetics" for the guys.... and they're fantastic!
    I advise a lot of clients that use HMD's in public-space settings, and I can't stress enough - 'Babywipes are for Babies Butts'. They have printed on their caution label that they "...must be kept away from eyes...". So they are NOT suitable to be used as headset cleaners. Always check the cautions on any product you use regarding skin and eye protection (that includes lens cleaners).
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,574 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    lovethis said:
    Does your girlfriend know that your online handle is "lovethis" ?? Just curious. 
    So we've heard buddie!   ;)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,574 Valuable Player
    Do you know what, i've never even thought about cleanliness before a session.  Those masks look like a good idea.  I have no idea how long i'll have this Rift before the next one comes along so i guess more thought needs to go into it.  I think some of the wipes women use before bed might be a good idea - the ones that clean the pores.
    The "Ninja Masks" are great - just a shame that some OVR execs were dead-set against them, and thought they were just a "Japanese quirk"!

They are now being developed with different material to address fogging issues found with some headsets in some conditions.

Have not heard a lot more from the VRCover boys. Are they still doing well?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • davidb01davidb01 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    kevinw729 said:
    I advise a lot of clients that use HMD's in public-space settings, and I can't stress enough - 'Babywipes are for Babies Butts'. They have printed on their caution label that they "...must be kept away from eyes...". So they are NOT suitable to be used as headset cleaners. Always check the cautions on any product you use regarding skin and eye protection (that includes lens cleaners).
    So do the ProSafe Lens cleaning towelettes I have.... I wouldn't go rubbing anything in my eyes!!! Very easy to clean things without getting it in your eyes!!!

We clean our kids faces with baby wipes all the time - no issues. Oh - and no mention of "keep away from eyes" listed anywhere on the wipes we use :)