New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Receiver VR with HydraDeck controls (Updated to v1.1)

Teddy0kTeddy0k Posts: 205
edited May 2014 in Games and Apps
Hello again Rifters,

I'm back with a new VR game! This time it's a port of Wolfire's first person shooter Receiver;

Download v1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KRnJKwYT-0aFJScnY4ZkdZZWc/edit?usp=sharing

Receiver was created for the 7-day FPS challenge to explore gun handling mechanics, randomized levels, and unordered storytelling. Armed only with a pistol and an audio-cassette player, you must uncover the secrets of the Mindkill in a building complex infested with automated turrets and hovering shock drones.

The key mechanic in this game is the realistic gun controls and procedurally generated levels. It's really atmospheric and a great VR experience, let me know if you have any feedback!

Big thanks to the Wolfire team for allowing me to release this standalone VR only version for FREE!

Changelist
v1.1
-Fixed need to recalibrate after dying
-Fixed calibration being incorrect after dying
-Added camera rotation using the joystick (when RB is held down)
-Changed the revolver "Insert Bullet" to button 1, and "Eject Casings" to button 2
-Fixed players sometimes spawning with extra magazines they can't use

Comments

• genetransfergenetransfer Posts: 605
    Hiro Protagonist
    So lets see if we can kill something... lol. great work, your other vids are great aswell!
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    a veryveryvery honest thank you teddy!!!
    Backer
    "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    As always amazing work Teddy! Thank you for your continuous work :)
    While I prefer Hydra Cover Shooter (simply because there's so many interesting details to look at and there's even a little puzzle), it's interesting how easy it is to set up Hydras correctly in Unity demos. As in Human bodies demo, set up positional tracking in Receiver is trivial and it worked the first time I tried... while in Hydra Cover Shooter I only managed to make it work correctly one time and never again.
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    can't wait to play this tonight. you realize how much better your demos will be when we figure out some proper wire management and we get our STEM(s) in?
    i'm building STV.RE
  • baggygbaggyg Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    Thanks, I'm downloading as we speak! Lots of people have said this is a perfect game due to art style etc. Cant wait to try it out!
    Art3mis
    Hi Teddy,

I'm having a little trouble getting this calibrated right. In the fourth step I presume you put the right hydra to the back of your neck? For some reason I always seem to be halfway into the floor. Is there also a way to rotate without actually rotating your body or perhaps a way to play without the chest hydra (and use that for rotation instead)?
    NerveGear
    Wow teddy, you and Wolfire team deserve a medal, this is my new favorite demo. Its so damn hard too.

Ive read about Receiver some time ago but never got to try it, its genious and proof that regular fps weapons wont do it in a future, here comes 1:1
    Having 2 different handguns was a nice surprise too

In a moment of magic my doorframe was just aligned with the virtual wall and I accidentaly felt it while i was aiming. i stood touching that wall like 5mins, crazy.

As for feedback, theres some heavy clipping sometimes and those drones are assholes :mrgreen:

thank you and the team again
    Backer
  • DarkJamesDarkJames Posts: 181
    This was great!

Unfortunately the PC I have access to with the Hydra/Rift lags with it, but it was still lots of fun! :)
    Seeing is believing
  • Teddy0kTeddy0k Posts: 205
    baggyg wrote:
    I'm having a little trouble getting this calibrated right. In the fourth step I presume you put the right hydra to the back of your neck? For some reason I always seem to be halfway into the floor.

Yeah, you need to touch it to your neck, just like in this guide;
    X4cgPt5.jpg

If it doesn't feel like the right height, your hydras are probably acting weird. Try placing them in the cradles on the base and then restart the game.
    baggyg wrote:
    Is there also a way to rotate without actually rotating your body or perhaps a way to play without the chest hydra (and use that for rotation instead)?
    [/quote]Not at the moment. Partly because I ran out of sticks & buttons, but also because allowing the player to rotate the world can cause some motion sickness.
    Art3mis
    Teddy0k wrote:
    baggyg wrote:
    Is there also a way to rotate without actually rotating your body or perhaps a way to play without the chest hydra (and use that for rotation instead)?
    Not at the moment. Partly because I ran out of sticks &
    buttons, but also because allowing the player to rotate the world can cause some motion sickness.

Thanks for the response Teddy. How easy would it be to release a version without the positional tracking using the left hydra stick for rotation? I for one would prefer this, simply because I dont't get VR sickness from just 3DOF and I don't have enough space to set up a standing 360 environment. Secondly it would hopefully eliminate the clipping problems the game currently has.
    I was thinking about finding a way to incorporate this, kind like how the HL2VR mod allows you to hold the RB to make the joystick turn left/right.

I think that'd work, but RB is also used for the slide lock, but I think this is ok
    NerveGear
    mode 3 in HL2vr its quite cool, even more if you use a ps3move stick instead of an xbox controller.
    tho having to actually move adds a lot to the inmersion... I was thinking about tuning my cable setup this weekend just for receiver
    Backer
  • @baggyg: I'm planning on doing just that as a weekend project, I'll make a post once I have something :)
    Seeing is believing
  • I haven't played Receiver yet because I was waiting for this exact thing to happen. Thanks Teddy! This will brighten my weekend considerably. =]
    Art3mis
    DarkJames wrote:
    @baggyg: I'm planning on doing just that as a weekend project, I'll make a post once I have something :)
    Great! looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Art3mis
    Teddy0k wrote:
    I was thinking about finding a way to incorporate this, kind like how the HL2VR mod allows you to hold the RB to make the joystick turn left/right.

I think that'd work, but RB is also used for the slide lock, but I think this is ok
    I think these implementations will become a lot easier when STEM is released and we can have multiple trackers but still two hand held ones. I appreciate that the hydradeck setup is the most immersive from a VR standpoint, but both setups have trade offs. I played the HLVR mod and I wouldn't have been able to get through it without a rotation joystick. Although the rift cable can be attached above, I quickly get wound up with the hydras. I really cant wait for both of these to be wireless. It will make everything soooo much easier. Perhaps a control scheme choice at the start similar to how Alone in the rift gives you...

BTW don't take these comments as a criticism. You've really done excellent work here.
    I've uploaded a new version of Receiver VR, with a new control scheme for turning and bug fixes for dying/respawning;
    Download v1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KRnJKwYT-0aFJScnY4ZkdZZWc/edit?usp=sharing

Here's the full changelist;
    v1.1
    -Fixed need to recalibrate after dying
    -Fixed calibration being incorrect after dying
    -Added camera rotation using the joystick (when RB is held down)
    -Changed the revolver "Insert Bullet" to button 1, and "Eject Casings" to button 2
    -Fixed players sometimes spawning with extra magazines they can't use

Overall I think having the ability to turn the camera with the joystick (same as HLVR) is a huge improvement. Let me know how you find it, and let me know if you any more feedback!
    NerveGear
    Hey teddy, these guys say they fixed 3 fubar hydras, maybe you can contact them to help you out with yours?

http://www.entertherift.fr/news-203-interview-oculus-maximus-la-prochaine-version-sera-2x-plus-tranchante.html#
    Backer
  • Seems Teddy beat me to it (had a busy weekend) I'll see if I can do it myself still since it'd be a good exercise and chance to learn some Javascript (I currently do all my Unity work in C#). Also the fact that everything is generated in the scene from code not pre-placed is very neat to me.
    Seeing is believing
    Art3mis
    DarkJames wrote:
    Seems Teddy beat me to it (had a busy weekend) I'll see if I can do it myself still since it'd be a good exercise and chance to learn some Javascript (I currently do all my Unity work in C#). Also the fact that everything is generated in the scene from code not pre-placed is very neat to me.
    Hi @DarkJames,
    I still think there is a bit to be done. Teddy understandably still uses the left hydra for positional tracking. I for one would like to have a version without positional tracking and use the left hydra joystick for rotation. I think this is more natural for seated play (easier rotation) plus removes the clipping issues that arise from incorrect hydra calibration.
  • @baggyg Ah yeah good point, just tried out the new version. I'll have to give it a shot and see if I can modify like that later.
    Seeing is believing
  • I hope somebody can help me with the calibration for this game. Even after trying at least 20 times the calibration is never perfect. The biggest problem is the position of the gun which is always too low, sometimes too far away, sometimes too far on either side.

Here is how calibration is going for me:

1) I kill the Hydra icon in the taskbar to make sure not to have any interference from this official Razer tool.
    2) The two controllers are resting on the base, the base is placed on a table in front of me (standard desk height), cables facing away from me. Distance from base is about 50 cm.
    3) I start the game with "-adapter 1" to force the picture on the rift.
    4) I see a non-stereoscopic (and therefore impossible to read) calibration message. From tests without the rift I know that it either says "Point your left controller at the base and pull the trigger" or "Point your right controller at the base and pull the trigger". There's a second message overlayed over the first telling me to connect the Rift and Hydra but they are already connected of course so I just ignore that one.
    5) Since I don't know whether it wants the right or left controller to be configured first, I just have to guess at this point (50% chance!).
    6) As soon as I pull the trigger, the messages switch to stereoscopic mode and I can finally read them. Sometimes it will say to place the right controller on the ground but more often this message is skipped because I'm still pressing the trigger from step 5 (even if I press it as quickly as possible). This usually results in my eye-level being very close to the ground in-game.
    7) The next message says to attach the left controller to the body. I do so, take the right controller into both hands and keep the arms along my body, as shown in the calibration photo supplied with the game.
    8) Last step: touching the neck with the right controller. Again I do this as shown in the photo.

After all these steps, most of the time I'm too small in the game world (due to the skipping in point 6) and the gun is always too low. I have to hold the controller far above my head to be able to aim down the iron sights for example. I tried compensating for this by holding the controller much lower in step 7 but this does not solve the problem completely.

Often, the gun is also either too far left or right but this I can usually correct by changing my position in relation to the base slightly.

My questions is, does everybody have these problems or is it working much better in your case? Am I doing something wrong in the steps above? How to prevent the "ground level" step from being skipped?
  • @MrPozor
    3) I haven't tried using the "-adapter 1" flag before, but when I start the game it's in Stereoscopic to start.

4) That's completely reasonable, however I recommend leaving the Hydras on the base station until the game has fully loaded. When docked the Base can tell which is left/right without you having to pull the triggers. Then once you see the message telling you to put the right controller on the ground, pick up both controllers.

If the problem still persists I recommend performing the "Point your right controller at the base and pull the trigger" action with the right controller touching the ground (as shown in the picture) as the pointing doesn't seem to matter, it just uses the trigger pulls to identify the left/right controllers.

I have had issues with the gun being in funny places but I normally move my body/arm to compensate.

Hopefully that helps :)
    Seeing is believing
    NerveGear
    Maybe you problem is where your base is... try settin it up as teddys videos (the base should be in front of you, and the controllers should not be above it when in use)

something like this
    razer-hydra.jpg
    Backer
  • Thank you for your comments Frito and DarkJames.

I'll give it a try. The thing about leaving them resting on the base is something I suspected because sometimes, but very rarely the messages indeed jump directly to the "ground" step. Good to know that this should be the normal behaviour. Now just to find out what is preventing them to be recognized like that in my case.
  • Frito wrote:
    Maybe you problem is where your base is... try settin it up as teddys videos (the base should be in front of you, and the controllers should not be above it when in use)

something like this
    [Editted out pic to save space]

But if you're supposed to stand while playing how can you prevent the controllers going above the base? The desk I have keeps it below my waist at least.
    MrPozor wrote:
    I found it's best in most demos to give it a few more seconds than you think necessary, then lift them off the base.
    Seeing is believing
    NerveGear
    DarkJames wrote:
    Frito wrote:

something like this
    [Editted out pic to save space]

But if you're supposed to stand while playing how can you prevent the controllers going above the base? The desk I have keeps it below my waist at least.

I leave the base in the desk (where the keyboard should be) and i move away from it 40-60cm

Razer_Hydra_3.jpg
    Backer
    MrPozor wrote:
    6) As soon as I pull the trigger, the messages switch to stereoscopic mode and I can finally read them. Sometimes it will say to place the right controller on the ground but more often this message is skipped because I'm still pressing the trigger from step 5 (even if I press it as quickly as possible). This usually results in my eye-level being very close to the ground in-game.
    My Hydra is malfunctioning and this is now happening to me too!

The best way to do it is start the game with the Hydra's on the base, but if it doesn't detect they're on the base be wary, they may be damaged and giving you bad position information as mine are.

By the way, to get around the "no ground message" bug, when you "point hydra at base and pull trigger", keep holding the trigger down. You will soon afterwards see the ground message, so move the hydra to the ground and release the trigger.
  • I've tried both suggestion of having the base higher than my hands (by placing it on a cardboard box) and leaving the Hydras on the base during startup and it helps a lot!

I'm thinking that my desk (which has metal parts as support) or some other gadget nearby might have interfered with the Hydra. In any case, I now get the "ground" message immediately and after calibration, the gun position is fine now. Not perfect but for the first time I was able to look down the iron sights for aim.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll keep experimenting.

This game is quite hard btw!
  • Glad to hear it helped!

And ah yeah, the Hydra is apparently quite sensitive to interference so a metal desk and other gadgets could definitely be an issue.

You can also purchase the original game to support the developer (without Oculus support though) here: http://www.wolfire.com/receiver. They make some pretty sweet games and like open sourcing (I believe is the term, but not open licensing? I need to re-read their blog) the code to their games :)
    Seeing is believing