New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

So close to Selling my Rift

DarthHarbinDarthHarbin Posts: 14
NerveGear
     Gosh I'm so on the verge of Selling my Rift because of the lack of the kinda games I normally play, but on my rift.  I was so Pissed when they dropped plans to make Alien Isolation playable on recent rift editions, and even worse another slap in the face when the next big thing i looked forward to was RE7 and they put a damn timed exclusive on VR for only the PSVR for an entire fucking year!  
   Dude.. I just want to wear my headset like in Doom3 with my normal popular gaming.  No fancy hands motions tracking or roomscale gimmicky crap is necessary.  Just good head tracking and full geometric 3D immersion.  Mouse/Keyboard or Gamepad is completely FINE.   I want to play Alien Isolation, RE7, Fallout 4, GTA4/5, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and more like that with just the improved immersion of smooth Head Tracking.  
    I might be happier with the PSVR since they seem to be concentrating more primarily on the gaming audience they already have.  The answer to save VR gaming for the time being seems to be getting the current games in developement that they already make good money on, to simply give us the headtracking element that makes immersion much better than just looking at a flat screen.   That's already a huge improvement to immersion.  Those that get sick won't buy but plenty of us still will.  There are tons of gamers in the world and just that little bit of extra immersion is worth it.  Hell i paid alot just for a better sound system with Surround Speakers just to have that better immersion.  Then when more people have headsets, we can experiment with adding more specialized game type that suite more niches.

Comments

• DarthHarbinDarthHarbin Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    My post was in General.. not is support of any other inappropriate section.  But I didn't look for a few similar threads to reply to and didn't find them.

NerveGear
    And besides we need some assessment of how many people are unhappy, and why.  If there's a section for disgruntled VR users, I will gladly post there.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,876 Valuable Player
    @XWolven which Oculus titles do you own? That might help with your dilemma.

If you are just looking for a Time Sink experience, then I would recommend:

1) Elite Dangers
    2) Eve Valkyrie
    3) Darknet
    4) Airmech Command
    5) Chronos
    6) Subnautica

If you want to play Doom and Deus Ex style titles in VR, then you will need to go the Vorpx route:
    http://www.vorpx.com/

The number of games they support is quite vast, and should cover your needs and them some:
    http://www.vorpx.com/supported-games/

The skies the limit with PCVR. Happy gaming.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,895 Valuable Player
    XWolven said:
         Gosh I'm so on the verge of Selling my Rift because of the lack of the kinda games I normally play, but on my rift.  I was so Pissed when they dropped plans to make Alien Isolation playable on recent rift editions, and even worse another slap in the face when the next big thing i looked forward to was RE7 and they put a damn timed exclusive on VR for only the PSVR for an entire fucking year!  
       Dude.. I just want to wear my headset like in Doom3 with my normal popular gaming.  No fancy hands motions tracking or roomscale gimmicky crap is necessary.  Just good head tracking and full geometric 3D immersion.  Mouse/Keyboard or Gamepad is completely FINE.   I want to play Alien Isolation, RE7, Fallout 4, GTA4/5, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and more like that with just the improved immersion of smooth Head Tracking.  
        I might be happier with the PSVR since they seem to be concentrating more primarily on the gaming audience they already have.  The answer to save VR gaming for the time being seems to be getting the current games in developement that they already make good money on, to simply give us the headtracking element that makes immersion much better than just looking at a flat screen.   That's already a huge improvement to immersion.  Those that get sick won't buy but plenty of us still will.  There are tons of gamers in the world and just that little bit of extra immersion is worth it.  Hell i paid alot just for a better sound system with Surround Speakers just to have that better immersion.  Then when more people have headsets, we can experiment with adding more specialized game type that suite more niches.

So go buy Vorpx
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I can't play RE7 in VR for a WHOLE YEAR!!!   /sucks thumb
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    Maybe Vorpx will support it lol
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU [email protected] hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
    NerveGear
    Have you tried using VorpX?   Everything I've read about it is bad.  It's not easy to configure, it forgets your settings so you have remember and redo them everytime, and it doesn't work to work well with most games.  I would love for VorpX to be improved and it would save me from selling the rift but it's been out for awhile now and doesn't seem to be improving at all.  What is your personal experience with it?  Another thing I am hoping is that more people like the ones who made the GTA mod and Doom 3 mod will keep putting out better VR mods for other games.   And if you think I'm alone in the disappointed with what they did with RE7, then your delusional.  The whole reason many of us got a Rift is to experience gaming we already like in a more immersive spectrum.  That has not happened much at all yet and if your not crying about it.. you must not own a rift or maybe your so new to gaming, you still find endless joy with tech demo sized games.  I have most of the ones on the list above and only Elite Dangerous and Chronos would I consider full games.  Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    What is so surprising about RE7 being a Sony exclusive for a year? It started with Sony in 1996 and with a few exceptions, usually launched on their systems first. PCs were always last. So why did this surprise you and influence your decision to buy a Rift??
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    NerveGear
    But they did release it on the PC.. they just expect us to buy it with the VR purposely turned OFF.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    XWolven said:
    Have you tried using VorpX?   Everything I've read about it is bad.  It's not easy to configure, it forgets your settings so you have remember and redo them everytime, and it doesn't work to work well with most games.  I would love for VorpX to be improved and it would save me from selling the rift but it's been out for awhile now and doesn't seem to be improving at all.  What is your personal experience with it?  Another thing I am hoping is that more people like the ones who made the GTA mod and Doom 3 mod will keep putting out better VR mods for other games.   And if you think I'm alone in the disappointed with what they did with RE7, then your delusional.  The whole reason many of us got a Rift is to experience gaming we already like in a more immersive spectrum.  That has not happened much at all yet and if your not crying about it.. you must not own a rift or maybe your so new to gaming, you still find endless joy with tech demo sized games.  I have most of the ones on the list above and only Elite Dangerous and Chronos would I consider full games.  Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.
    I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite via VorpX, and it is amazing.
    Thanks to the new direct VR feature and optimized settings, it gets very close to native support in this particular game 
    Most other games I've tried have issues and/or no directVR, which makes it a less enjoyable experience.

Here is a list with supported games
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/edit#gid=0
    Geometric 3D support is a neccessary requirement for a VR like effect.. DirectVR is also very important, imo. Only a few games support directVR as of now, but it should be more in the future.
    And yes, it can be difficult to configurate the games. Sometimes you have to edit config files to disable certain graphic effects, or to get a particular fov.

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    XWolven said:
    Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.
    Its not a tower defence game. Do your research.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 824
    3Jane
    I am the same way. Touch is REALLY great, but all I was really looking forward to was being able to play the games I normally play in VR. Alien Isolation on the DK2 was still my best VR experience and I thought this would pave the way to many other big budget titles having VR compatibility. Not the case of course, but I know many more great games/experiences are to come. Doom 3 is the best big budget FPS w/motion control integration example yet. Too bad we need modders to be able to do this.
  • matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 275
    Nexus 6
    XWolven said:
    IDK, been using vorpx for the past few years and to me it seems you just belive everything that`s said.
    It is pretty easy to configure, actually. It doesn`t forget your settings if you click [OK and Save] instead of OK.
    You can actually download game profiles that are tweaked to work already.
    Wasted last week playing through halo for the lols.
    Some games require mods (in most of the cases, FOV mod) which you can (and should) use.
    The most problems I had with vorpx was GTA V, because almost every stupid update on the game broke the VR mod I was using (and flawless widescreen mod got me banned so had to drop that solution).

Aside that part, I partly agree with OP, 
    I couldn`t care less about these touch-wand titles since i love gaming instead of body excercise, my favourite experience with VR was QuakeSpasm between 2013-2016.
  • Virtual_DaveyVirtual_Davey Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I tend to agree. I hardly ever use my Rift. Perhaps once or twice a month for 1/2 hour. Bought the Touch controllers hoping it would force me to use it more, but I still prefer a standard controller. I have thousands of dollars invested in my VR setups (Rift and PSVR) and if I could return it all, I probably would. I played some of Resident Evil 7 on PSVR, but far prefer playing it on my 8000 series Samsung 4K TV. My 21 year old son feels the same way. 
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    comedykev said:
    Thanks for that riveting post, and in other exciting news today, i'm going for a dump!!

Well that post fits these forums perfectly, ya know since it's owned by facebook - carries over the same ideas people want to share. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    edited February 2017
    @XWolven - I was hoping to play the games you mention and many more like them in VR. I had VorpX, but I uninstalled it. Some people can get along with VorpX and others can't because of sickness and settings ..etc. VorpX was great back in the DK2 days when consumer VR hadn't been released, but it's a shame we still have to rely on program such as VorpX, now that we have consumer VR.

I'm afraid down to the game developers if they want to add VR to their games, but for whatever reason some don't think it's worth it. Back in the DK2 days it seemed developers where really keen and interested in adding VR, but I'm not sure what's happened since then. I don't know what happened with SEGA and Alien Isolation, most of the VR stuff was already in that game so for them to abandon it was a bit of a mystery. I can't blame you for wanting to sell if that's what you'd hoped VR was going to be. 
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Atmos73 said:
    The good thing is going forward a lot of game engines now have VR built in to them so there's not much extra work needed to make what would have been a normal PC game a PC VR title.
    I don't think this is true.
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,296 Valuable Player
    Why on earth would anyone in their right mind sell their Rift with the likes of Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Artika.1, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Narcosis, Sirens and Fallout 4 VR on the way..?

And you've also got VorpX to take advantage of too as others have mentioned.

And if you haven't already bought the likes of Chronos, Edge Of Nowhere, Adr1ft, The Climb, Unspoken, VR Sports Challenge, Arizona Sunshine, SuperHOT, Dreadhalls, Damaged Core, I Expect You To Die, Technolust, Dead Secret, Esper The Collection, The Assembly, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, Windlands, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars and DiRT Rally then you need to do so.

And that's just the games available in the Oculus Store, you've got a shitload of great quality games on Steam too such as Doom 3 BFG Edition, The Solus Project, P.O.L.L.E.N., Subnautica, American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, War Thunder, Monstrum and The Town Of Light.

That's 28 great games out now with another 7 on the way soon. Plus VorpX games.

I'm beginning to think that the OP has gone more than a little insane tbh  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    NerveGear
    Thanks Matskatsaba, I think you may have convinced me to keep and try to soldier on.  Most all the other feedback I saw on VorpX was quite negative but I'll try it out based on your description it might turn things around for me.  
    Snowdog.  Most all those games you mention, I'm not interested in.  The one I am are still a long ways off.  I'm really annoyed at how Artika seems to be coming along too as I love that developer and their previous games and things like STALKER.  But they are seem to be turning Artika into more of a rail shooter/shooting gallery with teleport mechanics and I just hate that.  I can't stand standing in one place and just shooting at things while I'm stuck to the ground.  Just as I hate most games that won't let me jump.  It feels like just a cheap simulation.. whereas normally I would feel more immersed in the world moving around in it.  Very wasted opportunity IMO.
        Syndroid, DirectVR sounds much like what I was hoping to hear about when I asked about wanting something like DirectX for VR in all future game developement.  This way the devs don't waste money developing only for the VR gamer population.  They make full profits through he wider gamer population but have the DirectVR that can be used for people with VR headsets, and I agree with that in mind it could be pretty easy for modders to mod such games using such engines in the future to have VR support.  I just thought I would be hearing about it more than I do so far.  
       Lovethis: The reason why that devs got less excited recently I think is cause the widespread talk of Motion Sickness.  Which I think is a bit overblown, as in.. Not as bad as it seems and maybe many more people are starting to overcome it while there are some that may never, I think there's many more that have and will.  Also I think they got overwhelmed trying to work out how to utilize the motion tracked hand controllers.. and thought maybe that would be too difficult for such a small number of gamers.
       Thanks everyone for commenting.  I think this needs a lot more discussion to keep devs informed of the changing VR landscape.  I also want to get an idea how many gamers out there are happy to have just basic VR support with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.  Cause the more devs that see we are content to have just that for now, they may be more motivated to put the small bit of extra work into providing that extra support in their normal game development.  I'm definitely going to go try VorpX.  Also need to try DolphinVR which sounds pretty great for some extra kicks!
    NerveGear
    Also Syndroid or Matskatsaba, What video card do you have and are the frame rates pretty good in the games you like to play through VorpX?  I have a Geforce 1070 with an Intel XEON 1231 Processor that gets up to about 3.8 ghz.
  • vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    I just don't understand the lure of playing a game like there's a gun strapped to your forehead.... that's in essence what your asking for. I guess to each their own.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    XWolven said:
    Also Syndroid or Matskatsaba, What video card do you have and are the frame rates pretty good in the games you like to play through VorpX?  I have a Geforce 1070 with an Intel XEON 1231 Processor that gets up to about 3.8 ghz.
    I only have a 970 and Bioshock Infinite can be a bit choppy at times, but it's not a huge issue for me. 
    Some games like Black Mesa on the other hand run perfectly smooth.
    Speaking of Black Mesa.. that one works really great as well, but this and some other games, have a huge issue, with the scale of the first person weapon models, because they're being rendered with a different FOV than the rest of the game..
    If the games are running on a locked engine without mod support,  there is no way to fix stuff like that.
    And the ridiciously huge weapons in Black Mesa are somewhat gamebreaking for me, sadly.

You've mentioned DolphinVR..It's definitely worth trying out.. Some games work impressively well with the right settings.
    Games I'd recommend: Timesplitters 3, Lego Star Wars, Metroid Prime, Soul Calibur 2, Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex.
    They all require messing around with the setup though, and there are issues like locked 60fps and culling. But if setup properly you can get really good VR experiences out of it.

As for Gamepad vs Motion Controlls. 
    Touch is amazing but I don't think it is a necessarily requirement. Doom 3 with Touch is probably the best VR game I've played so far.
    On the other hand, Resident Evil 7 offers a better VR experience than many Touch titles available at the moment,imo, simply because of its production values. 
    Most current PCVR exclusive titles, are cheap indie games compared to the likes of Bioshock Infinite, which can be experienced in "good enough VR" via VorpX right now.
    I have to say, though, Bioshock is an exeption regarding VorpX support.
    NerveGear
    vlodato said:
    I just don't understand the lure of playing a game like there's a gun strapped to your forehead.... that's in essence what your asking for. I guess to each their own.
    We've been doing so for centuries.  I guess you're not from that Doom/Quake fps generation.  I never get the feeling the gun is stuck to my forehead and that point is pretty mute anyway with proper head tracking now my head is not at all connected to my shooting other than having to see what I'm shooting at.  
       I really  think most gamers are pretty lazy like me actually and don't want to move around too much while gaming.  People that like the Wii are more into that kinda gaming but that's still a niche of the larger gamer population.  Do you remember when touchscreen monitors came out, how that was all the rage?  Then when people actually tried using them, they realized that reaching out and having to touch and constantly moving their hands around in the air to navigate a desktop was way more tiring and not near as efficient as making minute movements with a simple mouse to get around the screen.  Of course it doesn't look as cool in hacker movies, which is why we never see a mouse used in hacker situations in movies.. just not enough dramatic movements.  I'm actually a bit disabled too and can't walk normal so that has something to do with it, but even before my disability I don't think i would have liked for long term moving around too much while gaming.
    NerveGear
    This isn't just complaining to complain.  This is trying to learn where to focus development to save VR from becoming a temporary gimmick trend. People need to pipe up and share how they feel and express what they are happy with and what might also be considered a waste of resources.  I'm not real hard to please and if anything, in a way.. I'm asking for less.  Less to build a foundation on before moving to games developed purely for VR only.  I play games every day, but very little compels me to but on my headset for the past 6 months and maybe for another year before there's stuff out I'm really excited to dive into.  The main game I bought my rift for to try out was Alien Isolation.  -cockblocked.  Then Resident Evil 7 looked great. -cockblocked again.  Now there's just Fallout 4, and that's still a year away.  Why so long?  Because they don't want to release it with just the headtracking.. no they have to do all this extra work to make a "proper" VR experience and implement teleportation mechanics (A huge pain in the ass to implement by the way) and touch/wand controls.  (A bunch of new art assets to have to build.) which all this takes alot more time and money to create so you can be sure this new Fallout DLC is going to cost something.  Where if we just got the headtracking it could be out already and it wouldn't cost anything probably.  Later they could do the extra work and then charge for that later dlc update.
       So hopefully the moding community will step up and do what the devs won't do.  But you know, normally the moding community is huge and full of great talent.. but this VR moding community.  I don't know if it's big enough yet.  Hopefully this year we will see something happen to kick things off.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,876 Valuable Player
    edited February 2017
    Agreed, I wasn't directing that at you @XWolven which is why I tried to preface my last post with, "Not that my answer applies to the OP necessarily."

I will admit that in the earlier parts of this thread I did start to think that you were more interesting in complaining than seeking a solution. I didn't say anything about it, and you ended up proving me wrong anyway when you wrote, "you may have convinced me to keep and try to soldier on.  Most all the other feedback I saw on VorpX was quite negative but I'll try it out based on your description it might turn things around for me."

So yet another drawback of this new "Complainatory Food Group" era is that legit complaints get lost in the shuffle.

Although if this is true, "The main game I bought my rift for to try out was Alien Isolation.  -cockblocked," then you might have waited until Alien Isolation had native VR support. That's a problem that can be solved with a bit of research:

Alien: Isolation’ is One of VR’s Missed Opportunities, But There’s Still Hope
    http://www.roadtovr.com/alien-isolation-is-one-of-vrs-missed-opportunities-but-theres-still-hope/

I know that there are YouTube vid's of folks who got it to work, but it wasn't easy and not natively supported. So there was clearly a risk factor. It's important to set your expectations properly when going in to a situation. You keep referring to situations like "Alien Isolation" as you being "-cockblocked" but that's not true at all since the game never had native VR support.

Yes it is unfortunate that many of us have to wait to play games that we really want. In my case, I'm waiting to play a good VR MMORPG. I could be waiting another year minimum. But I knew that going in to it because nothing on the market ever lead me to believe otherwise.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane