New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How much RAM do you wish you had?

cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 627
Neo
edited February 7 in Oculus Medium
Of course, more RAM is always better, and it's easy to say, "as much as possible," but within reason, (and within the limits of your current or next PC) how much are RAM do you wish you had? (for both Medium and regular VR)?  

What is the maximum capacity of your current VR PC, and if money were no object, would you max it out it today?  

If your system holds a maximum of 64, would it be wiser to go to 32 instead, knowing that in a couple of years you will be able to get 64 GB at the same cost that you can get 32 today? Will Medium almost never need 64 or will it eat it up greedily for some of the more complex sculpts and operations? 

I asked Google about RAM and it gave this handy little list of frequently asked questions on the search page, including how much memory you need.  Knowing that computer advice can go out of date within a couple of months, this Is was what it offered from extremetech > gaming: 

"A lightweight system today can get by with 4GB of RAM. 8GB should be plenty for current and near-term future applications, 16GB gives you comfortable space for the future, and anything over 16GB is likely overkill unless you specifically know you need it (such as for video editing or audio post-production)."
www.extremetech.com › gaming › 2224...

(A Dell tech openly admitted to me that Alienware sadly underequipped it's high-end gaming systems with only 16 GB of RAM.)

Comments

• matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 259
    Art3mis
    32gigs is plenty, there is no game on the market currently that can benefit from more than that.
    I have 64 and there is no noticable difference.
    It is a nice thing for VR to have 64gigs tho, use 32gigs for ramdrive and running apps from there. beats world`s fastest ssd (and that`s busy running the OS anyway).
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 2,467 Poster of the Week
    edited February 7
    I have 16gb. if I was building a PC today from scratch I would consider 32, no more for sure, and to be honest, 16 is still fine.

just to put into context 16gb is 4x single layer DVDs, or 20 CDs that is a whole shed load of data storage......

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I JUST built a very high end machine myself (I7-7700k, gtx 1080, etc..) and put in 16GB of 3200. Sixteen is plenty
  • cleetosecleetose Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    I've been using the same set of 4x4GB ram sticks for over five years. Haven't seen a need to go any higher yet.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    16 GB is more than enough for gaming, but for doing some CAD stuff or using Oculus Medium, 32 GB or more is better.

I upgraded from 16 GB to 32 GB shortly before Touch came, and I'm glad I did (I anticipated the need for Medium, and that turned out to be a good guess).
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,040 Power Poster
    edited February 7
    I have yet to find that I need to go beyond 16GB, even when I'm using a Virtual Machine and running 2 OS's at the same time. However, even with the software development work I perform, the applications are lightweight so 16 gigs of RAM is more than enough.

Any high-end multimedia app's can only benefit from more RAM (as Nalex the Great pointed out above).
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    For most people, 16GB should be more than enough. I have 32GB on my main dev rig but honestly it barely ever goes past 16GB that I've noticed.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 627
    Neo
    Well, I've been doing a fairly simple sculpt, just trying to put some more ground in for some rolling hills in the background and I've already run into SERIOUS  memory issues with 16GB, to the degree that I had to scrap my plans for this particular project. 

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,046 Poster of the Week
    I just upgraded to 32 from 16. Only for medium. Was hitting the memory limit regular as clockwork and had to plan my sculpts around it. I've a drive full of half finished stuff that I can go back and finish off now. The rig itself is brand new with a 1080 tooling away inside. If it wasnt for medium I'd never have upgraded. Worth every penny!
    Art3mis
    For most people, 16GB should be more than enough. I have 32GB on my main dev rig but honestly it barely ever goes past 16GB that I've noticed.
    Yeah i wasn`t accurate enough, by "32gb is plenty" i meant "plenty for the lifetime of your current cpu", or rather, the most you can actually use without abusing ramdrive.
    I went for 64gigs because i use the rig for extreme projects too (like, 4 keyboards, 4 mouses, 4 monitors for a single-machine lanparty, running beta apps from ramdrive, rendering animations, and so on).

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    I actually haven't tried Medium yet, so maybe the RAM is worth it for that. I was speaking more for PC gaming, as most games don't take advantage of over 16GB.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 288 Oculus Staff
    Most of our machines on the Medium team are 32GB but my home machine is 16 and while I notice it on big complicated sculpts I don't notice it for most of my sculpts in Medium. For games 16 is plenty... for now. :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,040 Power Poster
    edited February 7
    I actually haven't tried Medium yet, so maybe the RAM is worth it for that. I was speaking more for PC gaming, as most games don't take advantage of over 16GB.
    I tried Medium... but wow I suuucck. All I could do was make a foam donut, and spray it orange.
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Neo
    matskatsaba said:

Yeah i wasn`t accurate enough, by "32gb is plenty" i meant "plenty for the lifetime of your current cpu", or rather, the most you can actually use without abusing ramdrive.
     I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me the useful life of your CPU is reflected by the upgradability of your RAM.  That is, if the manufacturer makes it upgradable  to 64GB, that's because they anticipate that the CPU will still be viable at the time that many apps or games will demand that amount of memory.  Also, how do you abuse ramdrive? 
  • zork2001zork2001 Posts: 508
    Trinity
    edited February 7
    there is nothing someone who is asking about ram is doing that needs anywhere close to 16 or even 8 GB. You can think of the amount of ram you have as the bigger the cup size you have. For every program you have open and running in the background you are poring more water into the cup; as long as you are not filling the cup up it does not matter how big your cup is, - most people are only using 30 to 50% anyway.

also you can easily check it is not a mystery. Ctr alt del - Task manager (processes tab) look at the Memory column to see the % of memory being used.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    edited February 8
    zork2001 said:
    there is nothing someone who is asking about ram is doing that needs anywhere close to 16 or even 8 GB.
    Did you read the thread? He's asking specifically because of Medium, which is very RAM-hungry. The devs have said that for larger scenes, 32 or more GB is recommended. With 16 GB, you get "low memory" warnings pretty often. 
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • nosferalatunosferalatu Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    With the latest 1.0.4 update (released today), Medium uses a lot less memory. I think this will especially help the 8 and 16 GB machines.
    One trick you can do with this update: if you get the low memory warning, try saving and reloading your sculpt. The new version will filter out empty blocks when saving (meaning, if you made clay and then erased it, those empty areas are not saved to the file). The same filtering happens when you do any of the layer operations (like increase resolution).
    Art3mis
    matskatsaba said:

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me the useful life of your CPU is reflected by the upgradability of your RAM.  That is, if the manufacturer makes it upgradable  to 64GB, that's because they anticipate that the CPU will still be viable at the time that many apps or games will demand that amount of memory.  Also, how do you abuse ramdrive? 
    Yes and no.
    I have an older xeon server and its pretty much mediorce even though there`s 32gigs in it.
    Boards are cpu dependant and there are featuures you might want to upgrade for.
    In my case (aside the fact that it wasn't fast enough for VR), the need to accomodate 2+1 video cards and still have enough bandwidth for the ssds, and while it wasnt really necessary, the old cpu didn't have functions that some apps were relying on for optimal performance.
    Well, I imagine not many use server machines, so from a non-(end)gamer perspective, you are right.
    But then again, non hardcore gamers will be fine with 32gigs for the next 8 years.
    Or at least, this is how I see it.
    Mind, that most of the cases you can`t install 64gigs in the first place. Well, if you use a server machine, you can buy that for relatively cheap, but an average machine has like 4 slots, and doesn`t work with server modules.
    For this particular board, the maximum is 128gigs (8x16 ddr4ecc) and the chipset is okay with it up till 260 gigs should the stores start to sell 32gig modules, but even 64 was silly of me. Or megalomaniac, whatever.

By abusing ramdrive, i meant one of these scenarios:
    Running os from ramdrive
    running huge apps from ramdrive
    using ramdrive as swap memory 
    so nothing that has a real point (considering the machine itself).
    I mean, after pressing the power switch, by the time the monitor disengages powersaver, I have desktop already.
    Using a bunch of samsung sm951 ssd for storage and system, so just talking about miliseconds differences when playing around with ramdrive.
    So in short, doing ridiculous tweaks for questionable benefit :D
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    16G for current gen of games. 32G for future proof. I would say.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 564
    Neo
    8 is plenty, 16 is future proof, until you start using CAD/ 3D modeling applications (like medium), then even as high as 64 is not crazy.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 1,654 Poster of the Week
    You'll benefit from more than 16 gigs of ram in Medium because of the way the models are made.  16 gb is good for everything else, even traditional 3d programs for the most part, but that's because they allow you to model in many different ways that are a lot less resource intensive such as box modeling.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,401 Valuable Player
    edited February 9
    @cybereality I'm still waiting for your first sculpt post in the thread!  :#

I'm really struggling to decide if I want to do a RAM upgrade for Medium sculpts as I hit the cap pretty quickly on high poly stuff, at the moment I've got 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 and the rest of my specs: i5-3570K @ 4.2 and a 970.

I am in need of a full upgrade really but at least with RAM I can carry it across to a new PC whenever I decide to upgrade :)
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    16gig in my VR machine, and I never go above about 10gig committed so this is clearly enough for a while yet.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,371
    Wintermute
    Currently have 16gb, have gone over 8gb quite often with video/photo editing.

Will go 32gb or maybe 64gb when I upgrade next.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    x2 Asus 290x Crossfire
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • NamelessPFGNamelessPFG Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    I maxed out my current box at 32 GB of DDR3-2400 months ago because at around $150, it was cheap enough; why not? Turns out it was a good call when RAM prices started shooting up again.

It's also why I hadn't noticed any memory issues with Oculus Medium when playing around in it. None of my sculpts were complex to begin with, even when I was just running on 16 GB, but if what everyone says is true, I should be set for a while.

By the time that 32 GB is a limiting RAM ceiling for my uses, chances are that my i7-4770K will be an even bigger bottleneck and it'd be time to build a whole new system.
  • ozelonozelon Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I have 32 and hit the cap with one of my sculpts however I used geometry poorly and was able to optimize by deleting stuff under floor that wouldn't be seen and merging layers (was before patch).
    My current sculpt which is a whole scene uses 18GB when I check the task manager - all layers used but not to full extend (resolution)
    Neo
     I read that all information technology, such as computers and RAM, is advancing exponentially. I did some math to see if this is true.

The Macintosh Performa 476 I bought back in 1994 was upgradeable to 32 MB RAM. Assuming RAM capacity is doubling on PCs every two years, we've had 11 doublings from then to my current 2016 Alienware, which is upgradeable to 64 GB.

Has the math held up? Let's see. Pulling out my trusty calculator, I come up with this:

32 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 = 65,536

Which is pretty close, right?

Given these trends, most new PCS, at least high-end gaming PCs, should be upgradeable to 64 GB by the end of this year, and before the end of the decade, 128 GB capacity will not be uncommon.

Which will of course mean better VR and gaming experiences for everyone. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,337 Valuable Player
    Of course, more RAM is always better

if money were no object, would you max it out it today?  
    Given the choice with no cost i think we would all have 128 whether it is needed or not.

We could all just downlpad more
    Http://downloadmoreram.com
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 139
    Art3mis
    do we even need to go beyond 8gb for games yet? i have 64gb but im a graphics designer so pretty much use that alot but for games i dont think i use any more then 8
    Neo
    reefy86 said:
    do we even need to go beyond 8gb for games yet? i have 64gb but im a graphics designer so pretty much use that alot but for games i dont think i use any more then 8
    The fact that a lot of the existing user base has just 8GB dictates current game requirements, but as new PCs start shipping with more, game requirements will rise accordingly.  As it is, even with 16GB, Medium sometimes flashes a message when I try to raise the resolution of the layer more than once.