cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right audio channel not working - Great Customer Support

bobarhett13
Explorer
So when your Rift, or any other pricey piece of hardware, starts having issues, it's great to have customer service that is there to support you. 

One night I notice a cracking sound in my right channel.  It went away, and the sound returned to normal.  No big deal.  The next day, the right audio channel (for Rift headphones) was silent.  I looked through forums, reddit, skype VR channels, and only found a few people with similar issues. 
-Started with various Windows 10 audio control panel fixes because sometimes the default switches, you never know if balance between L and R accidentally was altered, etc. 
-Also tried using a gaming headset to see if the audio was only limited to the Rift headphones.  It was because my Turtle Beach headphones worked.  
-I tried swapping the L and R Rift headphones.  The L and R headphones played sounds on the left channel but not the right.  Thus the headphones themselves were working properly. 
-I tried using liquid electrical cleaner with a cotton swob.  Oddly made the R channel work for a moment, but the moment I put the HMD off and the proximity sensor detected my face was not in the Rift, the R channel would stop working.  This moment of success only worked twice.  I could never get sound again from the R Rift channel. 

That was about two to three days of trial and error.  Hopelessness set in so I wrote customer support.  I believe the same day, I received a response from someone at Oculus.  For a couple of days we tried various fixes. 
-Checked the firmware for updates
-I reseated the cable various times to ensure it held a proper fit to the headset. Only ones I can remember off the top of my head.
They were kind enough to take my word for the methods I had already tried instead of having me do them over again like a lab monkey.  They had me run a log and save the file for their review.  After analyzing, I was sent a prepaid shipping label to return the Rift for a new one.  As an Oculus supporter, I had hoped it did not come to a full replacement, as these costs could add up and eventually hurt the company.  However, the relief of knowing they were sending me a new replacement headset was a great feeling. 

Thank you, Oculus Customer Support; specifically, I would like the thank the three representatives,  Misty, Alexandria, and George, who wrote me daily during the issue.  They, and Oculus, want to make happy users of the Rift and VR.  I appreciate the support so very much, and I will continue to do my part to support you.
1 REPLY 1

Roenaris
Protege
I am having the same problem, except both my headphones aren’t working... And on my second headset it’s been crackling and cutting in and out (This is something I have no idea how to fix)... I too contacted Oculus support and they have been amazing! I talked to someone named Lloyd, and he was very very helpful! Thank you Oculus support! I appreciate all of you?