cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GearVR/S7 Edge performance

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

Upgraded from S6 Edge+ (it broke!) to S7 Edge yesterday. Gear VR performance is horrible - flickering and stuttering in Oculus Home and most apps. My S6 was silky smooth.

Googling reveals many people with the same issues, some stating that the processor just isn't as strong as the one in the S6, but I couldn't find a resolution on any of the threads.

Does anyone have the GearVR working smoothly with the S7, or is it just not as string for VR as the S6 was? Perhaps there is a default setting on the phone that can be changed to improve performance?

Need to decide soon whether to turn the phone in and get something else or not.

6 REPLIES 6

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Your internal storage might be full. Are you pushing files to your SD card to create space in internal storage?
I have been enjoying my s7 edge for the past 11 months with GearVR without issues. Other than static IPD, all else is great. 
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

Hmm. Its not internal storage. The phone is brand new, and I've only filled 13G of 32G. Perhaps I've changed a setting that affected it. I'll try doing a factory reset.

Did you get the recent Oculus Home update? I know I did - if you didn't, maybe the recent update killed something.

You've given me hope that I should be able to get it working smoothly, though. Didn't want to have to return the phone - I'm happy with it otherwise. Thanks!

cybereality
Grand Champion
S7 should be working fine. There must be something else the matter.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

Thanks, @cybereality - I appreciate you chiming in.

I have factory-reset my S7 edge, installed NOTHING but Oculus Home. Waited for all apps to update to the latest version. ALL OH apps, including Home itself continue to have frequent stuttering and flickering... usable, but nowhere as smooth as my S6 Edge+ was. 😞 😞 😞

Can you suggest my next step? Samsung support? Oculus support?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, I'm not sure then. A factory reset should be enough. You can reach out to support here:
https://support.oculus.com/
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JeffNik
MVP
MVP

Interesting. Opened a ticket, and they asked me to record a video of the stuttering/flickering. So I started the video recorder under utilities to upload. STRAGE - Even though the live screen view was VERY stuttery, the recorded video file was ABSOLUTELY smooth. 😕