New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Update on 1.11 tracking issues and the upcoming 1.12 release

nmitchellnmitchell Posts: 16 Oculus Staff
Hey all,
                  
I wanted to give everyone an update on the next release (1.12) and where we are with improvements to Rift tracking.

Our #1 priority right now is addressing the new tracking issues some users are experiencing in 1.11 without reducing the impact of 1.11's tracking quality improvements. We’re also fixing a few new tracking-related bugs that have come in through community and support channels - thanks to those who have sent in logs. At this point, all of these tracking changes together are too significant for a hotfix, so instead our focus is getting them thoroughly tested and shipped to everyone as part of the 1.12 release ASAP.
 
As of today, we're still tracking toward a February release for 1.12, but we don’t have a locked date yet. That's because 1.12 is going through an expanded QA and testing process to make sure we haven't overlooked any new issues. As soon as it's ready, we'll ship it.

Related, we’re exploring the creation of an early preview program that folks would be able to opt into to receive updates ahead of an official launch. This is something we've wanted to do for awhile, but has been on the back-burner behind other features. Hopefully, this should help us gather more community feedback and testing to help catch issues like this in the future. If you're interested in participating, stay tuned - I'll have more on this in the next few weeks. 
 
Finally, I wanted to mention that we’re going to be rolling out a small hotfix soon related to Oculus matchmaking services to continue to improve multiplayer experiences. This won't include any of the upcoming 1.12 tracking updates – this is a much smaller, more focused fix.

Thanks so much for everyone’s patience and support on this. We'll let you know as soon as we have more.

Nate
«1

Comments

  • dburnedburne Posts: 828
    3Jane
    Thanks for  the update!
    Don

    EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • clutchroasterclutchroaster Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    boo ya!
  • Jake762x51Jake762x51 Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited February 17
    Thank you for the update. I love your open and direct approach with the community lately,
    i do miss Palmer tough, that chubby flip-flops wearing VR messiah ;(
  • SanbornSanborn Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for the update Nate, keep these up!
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thank you Nate!!  The updates and features sound really promising! Tremendous, very very awesome I must say!
    CyberpowerPC - VR Rdy Amazon Build || i5-6402p, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (1 USB controller; w/ 3.6.9a Fresco drivers w/ OTT registry tweaks)
    3 sensor Room-Scale setup -- all 3 sensors register as USB 3.0 [2 sensors w/ HMD on mobo; 3rd sensor on Inateck]
  • UberwolfeUberwolfe Posts: 123
    Art3mis
    Really appreciate the update
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 694
    Trinity
    A breath of fresh air in this update.  Glad to hear this.  I have not really been playing VR since the last update cause its limited my playtime due to growth
  • JeremyFisherJeremyFisher Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Great news, cheers!
  • Dark3stWhiteDark3stWhite Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    nmitchell said:
    Hey all,
                      
    I wanted to give everyone an update on the next release (1.12) and where we are with improvements to Rift tracking.

    Our #1 priority right now is addressing the new tracking issues some users are experiencing in 1.11 without reducing the impact of 1.11's tracking quality improvements. We’re also fixing a few new tracking-related bugs that have come in through community and support channels - thanks to those who have sent in logs. At this point, all of these tracking changes together are too significant for a hotfix, so instead our focus is getting them thoroughly tested and shipped to everyone as part of the 1.12 release ASAP.
     
    As of today, we're still tracking toward a February release for 1.12, but we don’t have a locked date yet. That's because 1.12 is going through an expanded QA and testing process to make sure we haven't overlooked any new issues. As soon as it's ready, we'll ship it.

    Related, we’re exploring the creation of an early preview program that folks would be able to opt into to receive updates ahead of an official launch. This is something we've wanted to do for awhile, but has been on the back-burner behind other features. Hopefully, this should help us gather more community feedback and testing to help catch issues like this in the future. If you're interested in participating, stay tuned - I'll have more on this in the next few weeks. 
     
    Finally, I wanted to mention that we’re going to be rolling out a small hotfix soon related to Oculus matchmaking services to continue to improve multiplayer experiences. This won't include any of the upcoming 1.12 tracking updates – this is a much smaller, more focused fix.

    Thanks so much for everyone’s patience and support on this. We'll let you know as soon as we have more.

    Nate
    This is the customer service i'm looking for! Just want to know whats going on with the product I invested in.  Thank you so much for the update :) Thats all I've ever wanted
  • MaxitoMaxito Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Thank you for the update. I love your open and direct approach with the community lately,
    i do miss Palmer tough, that chubby flip-flops wearing VR messiah ;(
    Are you kidding? How many weeks has it been since they broke tracking for so many and have not once posted about it? I'm glad someone from oculus finally said something but this kind of response time is no where near acceptable. I hope they fix it soon. I love my oculus but they have terrible support staff.
  • bosy.princbosy.princ Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Thanks for your response and looking forwrd to the update!
  • JASON_ASHJASON_ASH Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Thanks Nate, Rift is amazing, you guys are doing incredible work.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,358 Valuable Player
    Thanks for the update :)
    Better late than never :)
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • keem85keem85 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited February 17
    Will this improve the usb bandwidth on my mobo aswell? With 3 sensor I'm not allowed to use my firewire pcie card, because all the sensor is draining all the power.

    MOBO: GA-Z87X-UD4H
    Processor: i7 4770K @4.5
    GFX: MSI 1080 Gaming X
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400
    OS: Windows 10 x64
  • NacaryusNacaryus Posts: 177
    Art3mis
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,358 Valuable Player
    keem85 said:
    Will this improve the usb bandwidth on my mobo aswell? With 3 sensor I'm not allowed to use my firewire pcie card, because all the sensor is draining all the power.

    MOBO: GA-Z87X-UD4H
    Processor: i7 4770K @4.5
    GFX: MSI 1080 Gaming X
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400
    OS: Windows 10 x64


    my guess would be no, that's a motherboard issue which would happen if you were using the same number of usb 3.0 devices at capacity.

    I would recommend getting a second pci-e card but for the usb which has it's own power connector. or a powered usb 3.0 hub

    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • kgian76kgian76 Posts: 45
    Brain Burst
    Thank you for the update. Keep up with frequent communication please. 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,421 Valuable Player
    Thanks for giving us an update, this is a big step in the right direction for Oculus, we want to hear from you more! :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 3,661 Valuable Player
    Nate who? ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
  • KrematorKremator Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    This is very good news.  I'd be up for beta testing new software, to help Oculus!
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 700
    Neo
    Techy111 said:
    Nate who? ;)
    His name is Chell, Natemit Chell

    And thanks for the communication! add me for the beta testing for 3 sensors when available :)

    “Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

    "Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

  • e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 371
    Trinity
    I agree.   Should be a beta test with users who dare to and have a dedicated beta tester feedback  thread. 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    Nice to be informed that's great to know keep up the good work
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    Ps. Any chance of a simple floor reset option like in steam advanced settings as is very useful @nmitchell
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,749 Volunteer Moderator
    Thx for the update @nmitchell nice to see you use the forum instead of reddit ;-)
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • thatdude90210thatdude90210 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    They should automatically sign up those who submitted logs for the beta. Those are the ones who aren't represented in their current pool, otherwise these bugs would never have gotten out.  
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    nmitchell said:
    Hey all,
                      
    I wanted to give everyone an update on the next release (1.12) and where we are with improvements to Rift tracking.

    Our #1 priority right now is addressing the new tracking issues some users are experiencing in 1.11 without reducing the impact of 1.11's tracking quality improvements.

    *snip*

    Nate
    This is the customer service i'm looking for! Just want to know whats going on with the product I invested in.  Thank you so much for the update :) Thats all I've ever wanted
    Yup, it's literally all I've been asking for too - communication. Good to see it.
  • danybonindanybonin Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    oh dear oculus god,
    i pray you for that my 4 sensors tracking works great again.
    amen
  • roadczarroadczar Posts: 69
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 18
    danybonin said:
    oh dear oculus god,
    i pray you for that my 4 sensors tracking works great again.
    amen
     :) Amen.
  • PanoramusPanoramus Posts: 86
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can I assume if I walk into walk because my guardian system has moved in the meantime....i will be compensated...."Thanks so much for everyone’s patience".....what choice have we got! 
    i7-5820x | gtx980ti | corsair h80i v2 | ddr4 16gb | SSD x2 | win10x64
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.