VRpat's Sketchbook — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,701 Valuable Player
    I'm totally not familiar with ghost in the shell but I don't think it matters. This is badass any way you look at it!
  • vrpatvrpat Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I'm sure @cybereality would appreciate this!

That's seriously epic!
  • chuckleonechuckleone Posts: 166 Poster of the Week
    Great work!
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    Thank you for all the positive feedback. I've kept working on it, and made a video presentation of the Ghost In The Shell scene. I hope you like it  :smiley:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtTPa470PUc

• jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 227 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, this video presentation is super duper cool! Really captures a deliberate mood, and definitely piques my interest in Ghost in a Shell. 

The style sort of reminds me of Third and Seventh -  Drooooool.
    woah that video is great, I'm guessing you didn't create it in Medium since it had smooth camera movements?
    Brain Burst
    FrozenPea said:
    woah that video is great, I'm guessing you didn't create it in Medium since it had smooth camera movements?
    I actually did it all in Medium. Here's how:
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on a mannequin head a while back. So what I did was that I got one of my adjustable bar stools, and placed the mannequin head on the seat. Then I put the HMD on the mannequin head. I did this because I wanted the camera to be as still as possible while recording, since while wearing the HMD it is frankly impossible to be completely still. There are small involuntary movements that your head makes that can make the footage look not as "professional" as you'd like it to be.

Also inside Medium, I set the scene to rotate around its own axis. This can be a little complicated since I did this mostly while wearing the HMD, but for the best angle I had to acommodate the scene for the head which was placed on the chair. So it was a lot of back and forth between adjusting the angle, and scale and then switching on the rotate mode.

Some of the angles actually involved me rotating the chair on its swivel, but that was particularily hard to get right. If I was smart I would have duct taped the head to the chair, but I was not that smart. So I spent a lot more time on it than I wanted to.

But it all worked out in the end. :)
    That a great technique, would work really well for doing the turntable GIF's as well! 

Hopefully they will add a video capture in the same way you can take pictures and disconnect the frame from your hands :)
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, this video presentation is super duper cool! Really captures a deliberate mood, and definitely piques my interest in Ghost in a Shell. 

The style sort of reminds me of Third and Seventh -  Drooooool.
    I had forgotten about this piece of art. I remember we watched this in our animation class years ago. Drool. I see now that I've been inspired by that one in other work as well.
    Like this one even has the camera. Not even close to the quality though. Those deadlines almost killed me.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u5NFNSe0pY

Thank you :blush:
    Brain Burst

Posting this again as embedded video for easier access. Nothing new yet, but I'm working on it. Can't wait for the update.  :)
  • harryhirschharryhirsch Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    hey pat, this is totally kickass. amazing work
    Brain Burst
    I'm in love with the orange render, gonna add it to my desktop background slides!  B)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Holy... wwhaaaaaatt!!!!!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst

Inspired by the graphic novel Siegfried(based on Norse Mythology). It had it's own trailer that came out about ten years ago. Not only was it sooo beautifully animated, it had awe-inspiring scenes, including one of a horse frozen in time by snow and ice. And it introduced me to the music of Wagner, for which I am forever greatful.

I'm not too familiar with animal anatomy. Started with the horse skull stamp and used the graphic novel's horse scene as a reference. Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag. Touched up the colors in Photoshop. The falling snow was added in GIMP. I might work more on it, as I think it lacks some sparkles that made the original look more crystalized. I think the neck or the head looks off somehow. Gotta work on that.

Source of my inspiration:

• Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 501
    Neo
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2017
    So far it has been completely impossible to export and upload my Ghost In The Shell model into the artist gallery, because it crashes every time I've tried since it is a very large file and uses a lot of memory. So until I get to optimize it I got you a sneak peak at how it looks inside Medium.

Edit:
    I had to take a break from VR because of job related issues.
    Good news: I got a job.
    Bad news: Less time for VR. :(
    But I'm making more time for it going forward. Love seeing all the new stuff here.
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    vrpat said:
    So far it has been completely impossible to export and upload my Ghost In The Shell model into the artist gallery, because it crashes every time I've tried since it is a very large file and uses a lot of memory. So until I get to optimize it I got you a sneak peak at how it looks inside Medium.

Edit:
    I had to take a break from VR because of job related issues.
    Good news: I got a job.
    Bad news: Less time for VR. :(
    But I'm making more time for it going forward. Love seeing all the new stuff here.
    Welcome back (even if it's going to be less time) now that we support it I'd suggest hitting some of the more uniform geometry sections (like the tank) with the downres button in the layer menu and try uploading again. For the time being we're going to be hitting FB's 400mb upload limit for sculpts and there may be someone on your system not liking that causing the crash. 
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2018
    I tried staging an action scene that I had circulating in my head of a gun fight between four players in a poker game. It just came to me while listening to a song named "Gun Fight". I was done in mere minutes because I kept everything lowpoly and focused just on just getting the feel of motion with quick strokes.

I will continue working on this of course and add more detail.
    Brain Burst
    Here's an attempt at the new beast from Death Stranding's latest teaser.
    That golden "mask" was harder to sculpt than I initially thought, because I also tried to keep it lowpoly so that I could export and share to my Oculus Home as a guard dog against unwelcome visitors. I might add more detail to this model in the future.

The body is the basic cat pose reference model included in Medium, but I beefed it up a little and added an oil-like surface. The "dreadlocks" were fun to do, because they gave me some freedom, though they do seem to serve a purpose other than looking cool after closer inspection of the teaser trailer released at TGS.

It's been a while and it felt really good to jump back in and complete something, even if it falls in the fan art category. I spend too much time trying to come up with something original which often results in my Rift gathering dust. So my advice is just jump in to anybody having the same problem. Throw in a few reference images of something you think is cool and give it a try. Practice makes perfect.

I'll add some more screens from different angles later. :)
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 724
    3Jane
    I like the skin texture.  Interesting how much the highlights fade on compression.  The sort of thing that looks cooler the bigger the image is, and usually looks awesome inside the rig
    Brain Burst
    I like the skin texture.  Interesting how much the highlights fade on compression.  The sort of thing that looks cooler the bigger the image is, and usually looks awesome inside the rig
    Thanks!
    I'm planning on making a higher detailed version from whatever I can find in the trailer, or any future footage of the thing.
    The Oculus Home version is dog sized at the moment, so it's kind of adorable right now.

I think I'll actually go for the oily puddle that drains from it with with people(and Hideo) reaching for the mask. Make it a piece and go large.

Here's the video of the beast for reference:

• DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 724
    3Jane
    Whoa, that thing is trippy
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    Excellent work and WHOA .. I just recently did a ghost in the shell spider tank scene too!! ... great minds.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61683/lzoltowski-sketchbook#latest
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    Excellent work and WHOA .. I just recently did a ghost in the shell spider tank scene too!! ... great minds.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/61683/lzoltowski-sketchbook#latest
    Thank you! Damn your spider tank looked great. Seeing the details in your render brings me back to studying frames from the film for hours. Quality work!