New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"Oculus Setup has stopped working" message as soon as I start setup app

RigQuipVRRigQuipVR Posts: 4
NerveGear
New Rift today.  Very excited but cannot get started with Oculus setup.  Above message as soon as I start.

- running setup app from desktop
- Windows 7 SP1, latest updates installed and rebooted
- old Oculus software removed using Windows uninstaller
- running on MSI gaming laptop (MSI GT60) with very little other programs on it
- Laptop does have Small Business Server 2008 client agent installed and is set up for being used on a network when not in local PC mode

Hope someone can help....?  Thanks.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The error appears to be this:

[Fatal] [2/27/2017 10:17:36 AM] Unhandled exception!
    System.NotSupportedException: The requested security protocol is not supported.

So security related, though I'm not sure I've seen this before. It may be that you are missing a library, such as the Visual C++ Redistributable packages or .NET framework. That may be a good place to start.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RigQuipVRRigQuipVR Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    thanks for quick response.

i saw your previous post on this and did install Visual C++.  still same issue.  Any idea how I check I have ".NET framework" you mention?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    did the trick so far thanks. but also had to do as you instructed in your workaround post when the Oculus set up program said I needed the KB2670838 and KB3033929 when it was actually installed (according to windows).  Now stuck at the Headset HDMI connection status in setup where looks like its not connecting.  One time I did get past this and managed to set up x box controller and even have a my display showing in Oculus.  Not working now though and checking some of the posts
  • Dewberry-VDCMDewberry-VDCM Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Use the command window to execute the oculussetup.exe with this switch:  /bypassHotfixCheck.
    NerveGear
    Dewberry.  Thanks anyway but I got through installation and concluded with help of cybereality I need to bin my laptop...an GT60 MSI laptop with an 870M graph card just wont cut it.