New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No Sound on right headphone :(

smithy_sfcsmithy_sfc Posts: 89
Hiro Protagonist
Hi Guys (and Girls),
I turned on my Oculus today and noticed I had no sound on the right headphone.
- I have removed headset cable and replugged in
- Rebooted PC,
- Restarted Oculus Service,
- Checked the Volume levels for left and right balance.

Anybody got any suggestions, It was working yesterday and wasnt dropped...!

Is there any way to check the sound connection to headphones?

Many Thanks in advance. 
i7-5820x | gtx980ti | corsair h80i v2 | ddr4 16gb | SSD x2 | win10x64

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Try removing, cleaning the connections then refitting the headphone. It unscrews with that small plastic driver that came with the rift
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    There's been a few of these - you might want to do a search and see if any have had happy endings.  Always start with a support ticket - warranties aren't going to last forever.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,002 Valuable Player
    yes i would no waste too much time on looking answers,
    open a ticket this one often ends in a new cv1 of what i remember in threads
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2017
    Same here, it just died, never put the sound level above 30, and its usually between 10 and 20.. Tried several things already but nothing..
    I wonder if this time they will cover it under warranty, since last time my facial interface started falling apart, I was told by the guy that "I was free to order a bottle of glue and fix it myself"

Edit:
    Have you tried switching the left and right headphones around to see what the result is?
    I just did, and if I put the left headphone on the right and right on the left, it's the same result, so there must be a broken connection inside the right itself or the usb cable, maybe inside the "strap" or whatever it's called that the headphones are screwed onto
  • smithy_sfcsmithy_sfc Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same here, it just died, never put the sound level above 30, and its usually between 10 and 20.. Tried several things already but nothing..
    I wonder if this time they will cover it under warranty, since last time my facial interface started falling apart, I was told by the guy that "I was free to order a bottle of glue and fix it myself"

Edit:
    Have you tried switching the left and right headphones around to see what the result is?
    I just did, and if I put the left headphone on the right and right on the left, it's the same result, so there must be a broken connection inside the right itself or the usb cable, maybe inside the "strap" or whatever it's called that the headphones are screwed onto
    I think its the cable, as sometime comes on when headset is removed, put on...then cuts out the same way.
    Loose wire, or damaged wire inside main cable.
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    It's a connection inside the headset. I had that issue and received a replacement. Put in a ticket.
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    Panoramus said:

Edit:
    I think its the cable, as sometime comes on when headset is removed, put on...then cuts out the same way.
    Loose wire, or damaged wire inside main cable.
    Hm well I hope so for you mate, a cable would be a much easier fix, so you might have a replacement faster
  • jumblijumbli Posts: 234 Oculus Start Member
    This happened to me as well and I got a replacement. Support was quick to respond and arrange a return / replacement. Save time by trying the suggestions mentioned above and include details in your first support ticket:
    1) Remove headphone and clean connections
    2) Make sure it's nice and tight when re-fitting
    3) Try swapping right / left headphone to make sure it's not the actual headphone
    4) Try using external headphones just to make sure they work and it's not software.
    Developer of Dimensional, The Relentless, Breath Tech, Jigsaw 360
    View my dev blog at JumbliVR.com
    Hiro Protagonist
    jumbli said:
    This happened to me as well and I got a replacement. Support was quick to respond and arrange a return / replacement. Save time by trying the suggestions mentioned above and include details in your first support ticket:
    3) Try swapping right / left headphone to make sure it's not the actual headphone
    4) Try using external headphones just to make sure they work and it's not software.
    Thanks, I've tried 1,2 and 4. I will give no 3 a go in a bit.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2017
    jumbli said:
    No.3: Tried swapping headphones, right one still getting NO sound.
    Thanks anyway, I will mention what I have tried to support.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2017
    So I sent my oculus off today for a warranty replacement.
    I've got two questions?

1) estimated duration for replacement (8-12 days estimated by oculus), what are your experienceS...?

2) is the replacement a NEW Rift, NEW sensor etc.

I have had to jump through a few hoops, but very happy with the service provided by oculus in terms of communication and technology outcome.

eg this is is known problem, here's a new headset.
    Thanks
    Hiro Protagonist
    Was the replacement a new Rift?
    It's a connection inside the headset. I had that issue and received a replacement. Put in a ticket.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, the replacements are brand new kits. The shipping and processing time can depend on different factors (your location, if the hardware needs to be tested, etc.) but 2 weeks is a good estimate.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2017
    Wow, it took oculus over a month to get me a replacement headset!
    on my third headset, and current one is overheating :(
  • Reckle55Reckle55 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I've been through 2 headphones and 3 ear buds, I think it s just a but if a fragile setup> You have to remember that there may be a lot of stretching and contraction as the headset is put on taken off and adjusted.