Should I get the new Gear VR? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Should I get the new Gear VR?

GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
3Jane
edited March 2017 in Samsung Gear VR
I've had the Rift since the day it came out... well you know, since that day and some change... but did pre-order 9 minutes out (only due to the website crashing... those were exciting days!)

I've toyed around a bit with google cardboard and some 'nicer' HMD's for it, while entirely aware that it was nothing on par with the experience that a Rift can offer. Up until yesterday I've had a very old phone (fitting for a mobile app developer).

Last night I upgraded and have a Galaxy s7 - the intriguing thing for myself is the realization that I can now actually own a Gear VR. 

That new controller we've seen shown off makes it look a bit more palpable as well. I'll of course be doing research, and most likely due to my undying love for anything VR end up purchasing it. What do you guys think, is it a pretty great experience? I've only ever tried one briefly in a gamestop.

Another question - does anyone know if any of our Rift titles are cross compatible with Gear VR? Not sure I expect them to be, but that would be pretty great if so.

***To add: I of course realize that there will not be positional tracking, Touch controls, and so on... that being said, there are still a lot of great things that mobile VR can be used for currently as far as I can tell.
Tagged:

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,871 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Didn't they drop support for the S7 due to the fire hazard problem? I could have the wrong model, I don't really follow mobile VR news too closely.

Edit: Sorry, that was the Note7. Never mind, carry on.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    I'll have to double back myself but I believe the S7 should be supported. Here is an ARS article about the new Gear VR and it's new controller. Hopefully works well, VR on the go sounds all to tempting despite it's lack of full features!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    You'll love it.  I've tried several versions of the Cardboard - none ever came close to the Gear VR, dev and consumer version.

You might regret not waiting for the S8 though.
    3Jane
    Very well could be, but was able to get the phone for $399 brand new and won't likely see any better deals for awhile. Looking forward to it, having a controller as opposed to touching the headset itself definitely seems like a major improvement.
  • kavangekavange Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    Galaxy S7/S7 Edge is of course supported, it is samsungs current top of the line. (The NOTE 7 was removed).

The Gear VR is absolutely best for media consumption (movies, pictures), with the S7 it provides a much clearer picture than the Rift because of those god awful smudges in the Rift.

For games pc headsets will always have an advantage because of the raw power you can throw at it.

There are a few "cross-compatible" releases like Anshar Wars 2 for example exists for both Rift and Gear VR. I think there are a few other titles but not that many.

• Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    Tethered
  • elrealchiquielrealchiqui Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    No game is cross compatible between the Rift and the Gear. It's up to the developers to develop 2 different versions if they want to see their games/apps on both platforms.

If you're a VR enthusiastic and the new Gear cost around 100$ like previous models, I think you should get it ;)
  • TimnijlandTimnijland Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Wait till the S8 drops, will be a great offer for sure!
    3Jane
    Already got the phone - just curious now that I have one capable of using GearVR I don't see it every replacing my Rift, but it seems to hard to resist not owning.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Well I mean if you've already got the $600 phone, it seems like a no-brainer to spend another $100 or whatever to get a sweet mobile headset.

Just, y'know, set your expectations to a reasonable level;  Obviously phone-powered VR isn't going to be as good as the Rift, but it should still be a fun way to kill time when you're on the go, and you can check out tons of VR apps that are only available on the Gear, many of which might never get an up-scaled port to Rift.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,871 Volunteer Moderator
    I noticed that my wife's work phone is a Galaxy S6, and wondered about getting a GearVR just to see what it's like.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    Yeah it's strange. I had pretty much tuned out of any Gear VR news or info up until now because it didn't seem that important and I've been more then in paradise with the Rift. Now that I have the ability to use a gear vr I can't stop reading about it. I do want to wait until the end of the month and see if they announce a price and release date on the new model that comes with a supported controller. Hopefully supporting it will help boost mobile VR development, something that has so much potential if they manage to get positional tracking working. It actually has also peaked my interest in possibly developing an actual VR game or app and maybe publishing it someday, the process for mobile maybe an easier place to start off from.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,804 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    I noticed that my wife's work phone is a Galaxy S6, and wondered about getting a GearVR just to see what it's like.
    That's the phone i used.  Hmmm... great, great experience but for 80% of the apps you'll only get 20 minutes, max before you have to take it off and wait for the phone to cool down.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Posts: 163
    Art3mis
    DimitriL said:
    No game is cross compatible between the Rift and the Gear.
    Vendetta Online is.