New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GPU hungry Robo Recall?

JulianQJulianQ Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited March 2017 in Games and Apps
Anyone else surprised by how much gpu juice it takes to power Robo Recall?  So I'm running a Fury X, 5820k @4.5GHZ, 32Gb DDR4 - but leaving resolution setting at 1.0 I'm getting judders in the game - it is only occasional -  but surprised me.  I'm not pretending to have the latest or greatest hardware -but thought I'd be all good in VR until the end of the year before needing to upgrade.  Running the Oculus debug tool - leaving the Pixel per Display at 1.0 and in game at 1.0 - I have at best 5% headroom on my GPU - and at worst well into negative figures.  At 1.3 Pixel per Display override it becomes almost unplayable.  Which is a shame because the difference between 1.0 and 1.3 in terms of resolution/graphic quality is significant and has a huge impact on immersion - for me anyway.  
I'm able to play other games on higher resolutions - so Edge of Nowhere runs no problem at 1.5, as does Elite Dangerous.
Don't get me wrong - absolutely love the game - but if more titles come out needing higher powered GPUs to fully enjoy - looks like I'll be needing to upgrade to either 1080ti or Vega in a few months - which was an expense I wasn't anticipating!
Tagged:

Comments

• elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017

well I run a 1070ftw and keep a solid 90fps at a pd of 1.4

The rest of my specs are much lower than yours, so it's definitely graphical horsepower letting you down, or features at least.

cpu = i7 950 3.07 Ghz @ 4.2 (gen 1!)

ram = 12 GB DDR3 triple channel

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    I'm running a 1080 with a 6600k i7 4ghz on 1.5 and it's smooth as silk for me
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,526 Valuable Player
    Running a 1080 here with an I7 4820K @ 4.5 GHZ and it is very smooth for me, graphics maxed out and PD of 1.5
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    Ran perfectly fine on a 1060 and i5 6500, a solid 90fps without any drops, I think it will just always use your gpu to the max depending on which gpu you have.. I guess it can calculate that by itself
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,433 Volunteer Moderator
    i7 5820K at 4.25 GHz, GTX 1080 SC, resolution set at 1.5, butter-smooth.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    My 1060 on a i7 2600k plays it perfectly fine.  I'll have to try playing with Pixel Density, mine is on default but the graphics look very good, how much better do they get?  I'm getting the feeling I'm not picky enough about the graphic quality of games these days.
  • HeadRusch1HeadRusch1 Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    [email protected] (Unsupported CPU) + 980 Ti Hybrid overclocked as far as she'll go.......don't seem to be having any issues but haven't looked at the dev tool to see what frames I'm actually getting but noticed nothing but smooth frames and panic during my limited plays so far....

Is anyone else jumping over to Raw Data....similar vein but having to navigate the world of VIVE is frustration as the control maps aren't 100% ideal (pushing on the sticks on the Touch controllers is really not an ideal way to trigger the state of the joystick, we need some remapping wrappers....
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,433 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Is anyone else jumping over to Raw Data....similar vein but having to navigate the world of VIVE is frustration as the control maps aren't 100% ideal (pushing on the sticks on the Touch controllers is really not an ideal way to trigger the state of the joystick, we need some remapping wrappers....
    Raw Data is supposed to be coming to the Oculus Store soon, so I'm just going to wait for that rather than getting it on Steam.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • XMercXMerc Posts: 108
    Art3mis
    I havn't changed any of the default settings but my AMD 390X seems to play it butter smooth. 
  • n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    i7-4790k w/ 1080 FTW runs smooooth like creamed corn. max settings with PD 1.5. :smile:
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 238
    Nexus 6
    ok this has been bothering me for years and drives me frickin crazy, i see millions of people complaining about low frame rates that being over 60fps but i really cant tell anything over 30fps so for me to be laggy it has to be under 30fps. now i only have a gtx 970 at the moment untill i get my titan x back but i have robo recall at pixel density 1.4 and everything else on high and i have no frame drops and everything runs smooth. do i have unusual eyes lol
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    My 970 is starting to feel old now. I'm trying to hold out for the next generation of cards. :S 
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • strickforcestrickforce Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Side note here - I have 2 GTX 1080's - recently got the Rift +touch - last time I tried Rift there was no SLI support.  That said, I fired up Eve Valkyrie, turned on GPU monitor - and whadda ya know, it is running in SLI - both cars being used.

not every title though - robo recall doesnt for example - and max I can go is 1.5 PD - anything higher and I start to notice a little bit of choppiness.  Heres to hoping more titles get SLI support like Valkyrie...
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    I also like to point out that AMD was stupid enough not to support any of the oculus tools with the Fury X. I question them on this and they said they will NOT patch for ASW. So if you drop frames - you will feel them.

I'll be honest - I am looking at Nivida for the next releases as they look like they take care of the customers in the long run. All 900s and 10s will support Oculus tools even though it is software patch. Still runs way better than AMD flag ship card. Aka, AMD can go fuck themselves a bit with that move...   maybe something change idk, but last time I tested it did not work with anything.

-more range comments and not buying AMD cards again-