i5 7600k or i7 7700k - is the extra worth it. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

i5 7600k or i7 7700k - is the extra worth it.

elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
edited March 2017 in General
So im building myself a new pc, but hnsure about which chip to get. I can get the i5 7600k for £225 or the i7 7700k for £325.
Is the difference in price worth it for the improvement in vr?
More to the point, aside from the mild increase in clock speed which can most likely be matched via overclocking is there any benefit to having multi-threading?
On my current i7 950 ive always had it switched off and its been pretty flawless. But i think its time to upgrade. That said i have this chip overclocked at a rock solid 4.2 (its 3.07 as standard). According to oculus home it doesnt meet the minimum spec however and vr experience could be affected (utter horseshite).

So cmon guys what say you all?
£225 for an i5 or an extra 50% for the multi-threading. Bear in mind thos us purely a gaming rig, i do occasionally make images and videos but thats very much a second to vr gaming.
@cybereality im very much interested on your opinion on this. If anyone knows the technical difference as far as vr or future vr is concerned its you. So I'm counting your vote as 3 votes ;)
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

i5 7600k or i7 7700k - is the extra worth it. 46 votes

i5 7600k
36%
BionorsnowdogngyeahSeansationSyrellarisSkScotcheggbales1986eightbitTacoe_m_d88BigBadMario82HorizordFlavkkisKrag6Digikid1Mystery_Trampresidentweevilchrisoctane 17 votes
i7 7700k
58%
cyberealityFlukemaxx11111Hiro_Protag0nistWildtRedRizlaforestguyKiennyjayhawkelbofforthealgorithmpaesanF4CEpa1mntwigbelsPaul_BlythexWandererxLZoltowskiwanoennogsdmdcsmdougchism 27 votes
i7 950 (current CPU)
4%
charlton_3393Silverfoxx30 2 votes

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    i7 7700k
    You say your current CPU works absolutely fine - why upgrade at all?

Also, what graphics card do you have - you say it's all about gaming, that's what matters once you have the CPU sorted.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    i7 7700k
    1070 ftw mate, so its not an issue.

Im after the upgrade primarily for the motherboard and ram.

I have 2 850 evo ssds in raid but its pointless as i dont get the correct speeds because it doesnt have sata3 (just a fake sata 6gbps which runs 2 channels via a single express lane and is a max of 5gbps so im not getting close to the correct speeds.
    Also my pcie is gen2 and although not saturated yet, its only a matter of time before it becomes an issue.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,528 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    i7 7700k
    Go for the i7 7700K.
    Great chip according to reports, little larger L2 cache, and as you mentioned multithreading. While current games may not take advantage of it , only a matter of time - and probably not too long, before new ones will.

If I were building a new system today, it would be my choice.

Edit: Btw, I upgraded from an I7 920 X58 system to this I7 4820K X-79 system a little over three years ago. While my cpu overclock was a modest gain as well, the platform and memory change gave me significant improvement in performance. I am sure you will be pleased with your upgrade.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,791 Valuable Player
    i7 7700k
    elboffor said:
    1070 ftw mate, so its not an issue.

Im after the upgrade primarily for the motherboard and ram.

I have 2 850 evo ssds in raid but its pointless as i dont get the correct speeds because it doesnt have sata3 (just a fake sata 6gbps which runs 2 channels via a single express lane and is a max of 5gbps so im not getting close to the correct speeds.
    Also my pcie is gen2 and although not saturated yet, its only a matter of time before it becomes an issue.
    A 1070 and 850 evo SSDs - it'd be rude not to bring the rest up to scratch.
    i7 7700k
    That was my thinking ;)

Few weeks till i bite the bullet however so still eager to have everyone's input
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    i7 7700k
    I'm not sure there would be a huge difference in VR but the 7700K is the better chip and I think it's worthwhile to spend a little extra to get a chip that will last longer.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2017
    i7 7700k
    I have the i7 7700K and it is a great chip, I have a stable overclock at 5000 GHz.  I am using the swiftech H 240 X2 all in one water cooler to cool the chip. A good air cooler can get a decent overclock around 4800GHz. I have the Asus z270e for the motherboard. 
    This video explains the differences in gaming. Paired with a fast memory the i7 7700K shows pretty decent increases vs the i5 7600K.

Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
    EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
    Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps
    i7 7700k
    thanks for the video @paesan the decision is pretty much made for me now
    7700k it is and 3200 vengance ram (3000mhz peasants lol)

now the question i suppose is the board to take.
    i was looking at the asus stix z270H - linky
    it looks like th best all rounder.
    I'm not bothered about usb 3 incompatibilities as i have 2 inatech cards and will continue to use them, but can anyone suggest a decent comparable board?
    The aesthetics do come in to play though people as i dont want a fugly board (i currently have this x58 and my god it's nasty), but the strix does have the rgb LED's and the outputs to connect more for case decoration which coupled with my kb and mouse and my 1070 ftw would be a nice option

as always guys, any input anyone has will be greatly recieved :)
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    i7 7700k
    @elboffor, the differences between the Z270H and Z270E are not that big. The Z270H is a great board for the price. For my use the bluetooth and wireless are must haves, if you don't need bluetooth and wireless on your MB then this is a good choice. Onboard sound is slightly different, according to the specs the onboard sound in the Z270E is superior to the Z270H.  As you stated no rgb LED lighting on the Z270H. I like to make my case look good so the rgb LED's  was another feature I was looking for.

On a side note this question is for cybereality. A nice feature on many tech forums is the ability to add the PC system specs to the user profile. This would make it so much easier to assist others when problems arise. Can this feature be added to the forum. Thanks.
    Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
    EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
    Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch | StarTech 4 port PCI Express USB 3 - 5Gbps
    i7 7700k
    I'm not sure, let me check in the morning.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • leo1954auleo1954au Posts: 370
    Nexus 6
    I always prefer to do a search of the net for videos or reviews when selecting what hardware I'm after instead of asking on forums because every one had a different opinion  

• e_m_d88e_m_d88 Posts: 372
    Trinity
    i5 7600k
    Performance per dollar and with an overclock on the i5 7600k.  It's still a good cpu to get for gaming for the money. 
    ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S, i5 6600K. 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3000 MHZ. SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256 gigs. WD Caviar Black 1 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1, Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU. Inatech 4 port USB 3.0.  Rift + Touch.
  • xWandererxxWandererx Posts: 386
    Trinity
    edited March 2017
    i7 7700k
    @cybereality what time does your morning start ? seeing as your post was timed at 3.40AM:)
    i7 7700k
    I usually get in the office around 10AM Pacific Time, but I'm always checking the forum on nights and weekends. The server must be in a different timezone because I sure as heck wasn't up at 4 o'clock in the morning. Used to pull those late nights when I was younger, I'm too old for that now.
  • eightbitTacoeightbitTaco Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    i5 7600k
    TL;DR: If you are only planning to game on it, the 7600K would be your choice. Put the money you save from purchasing the i5 towards a better GPU. 

In the latest AAA "2D" games, a 7600K will rarely be a bottleneck, especially when playing in higher resolutions. In a VR workload, you are more likely to be bottlenecked by your graphics card with the 7600K. 

I'm running the 7700K right now, but I use my PC for more than just gaming. The difference would not be substantial in gaming environment, unless the workloads are well optimized for more threads. There are some games that will take advantage of the i7, but many won't (as well as they could).

On the other end, the extra performance of the 7700K will let it remain more relevant as time goes by. If you have other uses for the PC that would benefit from more threads, then the extra money for the 7700K would be worth it.  It can be hard to say what's "worth it," as it really depends on your budget and how long you typically wait between platform upgrades.

CPU: i7 7700K, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 1070, Mobo: MSI Z270M Mortar, USB: Mobo + Inatec 4 Port Expansion Card, VR: CV1 + Touch + 2 Extra Sensors | Steam Origin Uplay Twitter: eightbitJuan
  • PhilSurteesPhilSurtees Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    I went form the i5 to a i7 and the pc is noticeably faster, but aside from that I'm not sure it makes a real difference to gaming. I will say that going to an i7, 8gb ram, and gtx 1080 got rid of the annoying 'your pc does not meet minimum' message, which is a big plus, I hated that.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,438 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    i7 7700k
    I think an upgrade from a i7 950 to one of those will bring massive improvements. I've got a Skylake 6700K and saw enough improvements. Just watch this YouTube video to get an idea what a CPU can do even when they are all Overclocked the same.

i7 7700k
    Manu thanks for your replies everyone :)
    (except cyber who tried to derail my thread with his off topic spam, I'd never do that).

The price point and current gen argument is definitely one worth making. But cost is really a concern, value is more of it. This is what i was strugling with and is the reason i held on to my current cpu as long as I have.

After seing as the first video posted shows the difference in performance of both chips equally clocked and using the same gfx card (a gtx 980 ti which is slower than my 1070 ftw) i think that coupled with the argument of longevity has made my mind up.

I'm still open to input on the mobo though.
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    i7 7700k
    I was forced into an upgrade a few weeks ago, ended up getting the i5-7600K and GTX1070, replacing the i5-4690k & GTX 980Ti OC. Would really have liked the i7-7700K and 1080... The difference allowed my to keep my order for the Nintendo Switch.

I was quite surprised when I saw the Digital Foundry review between the 7600k and 7700k. Normally HT doesn't do much in games, but there were a number of titles that gaining substantial FPS with the 7700k over the 7600k with the same 4.8GHz overclock.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • jggormanjggorman Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just upgraded from an i5 6500 to an i7 7700K and tested it in Lone Echo. I didn't notice anything better in VR and I say save your money and upgrade your video cards instead.
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 788
    3Jane
    edited August 2017
    Necroe'd thread but still relevant. I swapped my old I5-4690 (4 core, 4 thread) to an R5 1600x (6 core, 12 thread) about a month ago (before getting OR) and the difference was pronounced. But there is a caveat to that, there is no difference in an ideal situation for the vast majority of games (ie benchmarking). The reason is very few will take advantage of more than 4 threads/cores. Some do though, like Fallout 4, Hitman, Doom and a few other big names.

The real advantage is in the non-ideal, every day situation. Windows 10 will install updates, run security scans and so on whenever it feels like it. There is absolutely no way to disable this for more than a brief period. You may also want to download or install a new game while playing another (please make this an option here like on steam, my system can take it). My old I5-4690 would choke under such load. It could download a game or play a game, but it couldn't do both without serious performance loss since those 4 threads had to be shared between different things. With the greater core/thread count of an I7 or R5/R7, that just isn't an issue. No sharing is needed and thus no performance is lost.

The above is particularly relevant in VR. Between OH, SteamVR and the game itself, there's a lot going on. Oculus in particular is really bad about going 100% in a single thread all the time.

Short version: clean system benchmarking shows no difference in most games but real world performance can be dramatically different.
    i7 7700k
    I got the 7700k anyways. Brilliant chip.
    Not even overclocled it yet but its good to knpe in the future i will have the headroom to do it.
    By comparison to my old qx950 i saw an immediate tracking improvement and not once have i had any issues.
    I run the fully bloated win 10 with mcafee and everything is set to update and scan do whatever it likes amd it never skips a beat.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,937 Valuable Player
    i7 7700k
    I've got a 2600K (@4.8ghz) and have been a loyal Intel customer for many years - hell, I even own a decent chunk of stock. But in the hope that developers will start to utilize more threads in their games, I'm not buying another 4 core chip, and their 6/8 core chips cannot remotely match Ryzen from a prize/performance viewpoint.

I've decided to wait and see if Intel makes a move - e.g. slash the current prices and sell Coffee Lake at a competitive price. I hope the 8700K is gonna be a winner with proper TIM and overclocking potential.

Otherwise I'm jumping ship for the first time in decades!
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    i7 7700k
    Noone really mentioned ram but i do suggest 16gb ram.
  • robertgalprobertgalp Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    e_m_d88 said:
    Performance per dollar and with an overclock on the i5 7600k.  It's still a good cpu to get for gaming for the money. 

There are a few minor differences like:

• Hyperthreading: All i5 processors are Quad Core and hence have 4 physical cores serving 4 threads. All i7 processors also are Quad Core but they are equipped with Hyperthreading technology which enables each core to serve 2 threads, hence the OS sees it as an Octa Core Processor rather than a Quad Core Processor.
    • Cache Size: RAM minimizes the use of Hard Drive similarly Cache minimizes the use of RAM. The more the Cache size, the more data can be accessed quickly. Most i5 processors(if not all) have a cache size of around 4MB (3,4,5 or even 6MB in some of them) but almost all i7 Processors have 8MB cache, which is significantly more, thereby allowing more amount of data to be accessed quickly.
  • BagnetBagnet Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    edited January 2018
    No one considering the i5 8400? great little 6 core chip. I have seen a significant boost from it and it performs very close to the 17 7600 chips in benchmarks. Seems to be the best value for price at the moment.. does need a new board but in my case coming from a 2500k it was a no brainer
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,188
    Wintermute
    Mostly because this thread is almost one year old :smile:
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    i7 7700k
    Crazy how it dropped in price, you can pick one up for £250 - you can grab the 6 core 12 thread for £360 now
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,188
    Wintermute
    Well, if you think about it, it´s really not that much of a surprise.
     AMD Finally had something to throw back at Intel, so offcourse they had to lower their prices if they still wanted to be part of the market share.
    Be good, die great !
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,763 Volunteer Moderator
    i7 7700k
    Yeah, the funny thing is the i7700K is still a really good CPU and will be for at least a few years. Mine is just 14 months old. Probably won't upgrade until next year.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)