I think my Rift is broken (solved) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I think my Rift is broken (solved)

DuffvaderDuffvader Posts: 38
Brain Burst
edited March 2017 in Support
Hello Guys! 

I think, that I have broke my Rift. It say that there is "no HDMI cable detected" but it's connected (by USB?). I have checked the cable, reconnected it on my GPU but still the same failure. But I think, I found out why. My Wheel Chair was on the HDMI Cable of my Rift.

The HDMI Cable looked damaged on that part. Is that possible, that this is the problem? 

I have looked on the Oculus Store, that they have a 4m HMD Cable to sell. Will I save my Rift with that? 
Is is complicated to change the cable??? 

Please help me!!!  :(

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,566 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    Relax mate , we are all here to help :) if it's a simple cable problem then contacting Oculus support and getting a ticket started so they can double check with you. It might be a simple case of you pulling the lead out slightly at the HMD end. Follow the wires up there and check they all firmly seated :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    It sounds like the cable could very easily be your problem.

Changing the cable is very easy, all you have to do is pull the face-plate off (do so by pulling on the plastic part, not the foam, and pullit from the center/top part of the rift). It should disconnect easily without much effort. After that, the cable just unplugs from your rift and you can plug in the new one, reconnect the face plate and plug the usb/HDMI in and it should work just like your previous one did.
    Great advice but please do my advice first :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• DuffvaderDuffvader Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    OK, I just tried that. Unplugged the cable of the HMD and reconnected it. But still the same. 

I think, I have to spend the € 60,-- for a cable. Damn it. I have to be more carefully with my stuffs. 
    OK, I will make a ticket also. Just in case, maybe Oculus is so kind to help me out for being that stupid. 

Thank you for your help! 
    Good luck ;)

• DuffvaderDuffvader Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    Hey Guys! 

I contacted Oculus support. They told me some troubleshooting and now I solved it. 

My GPU driver was not up to date. *sigh*
    Normally, I used to wait a few days, when Nvidia releases an update, because there was some troubles in the past. 

After updating the driver, now the error is gone. I purchased the cable anyway. lol
    I'm feeling dumb. Didn't think that old driver could cause such a problem. 

Thank you for all of your support. This is a great community. 

Kindest regards
    Duffy
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    Sorry we couldn't come up with that solution, it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would normally cause that issue. I personally do the same, never update drivers immediately unless absolutely necessary. You just never know if a new update is going to stuff things up completely and rolling back drivers can be a pain especially if you need to run other software to force uninstall corrupt drivers..

My drivers have been out of date for a while and I've never encountered this issue, but I'm glad you were able to solve it. I will keep that in mind if I ever encounter the same problem.