New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Try Games for a limited time or offer a refund

OLLI_SOLLI_S Posts: 40
Brain Burst
Hello,

I have the Oculus Rift CV1 and the touch controllers.
I tried many free stuff on the oculus store, but did not yet buy any game.
The reason is simple: there is no way to try the game or to get a refund (like it is possible in Steam).

It would fantastic if I could try any game for free for 10 minutes.
After that the game closes automatically and I can try it again for 10 minutes (but I start from scratch).

It also would be fantastic if you offer a refund option like I have it on Steam (here I am allowed to give back a game if I have not played it longer than 2 hours in total and if the purchase is not older than 2 weeks).
Then I could give back a game if I really don't like it.
Just some statistics: I am using Steam since 2004 and have 88 games in my library, but I just gage one game in all those years.

There are so many games I want to try out but dare to buy them (without trying or having a discount option):
- Damaged Core
- The Unspoken
- Eve: Valkyrie
- Chronos
- Crystal Rift
- Ocean Rift
- ... (many others)

So please consider these features.

Regards

OLLI
Tagged:

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    theres no way oculus would do this, simply for the fact that 98% of the games on oculus store dont have replay value beyond a few hours anyway, everyone would be refunding everything.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • assettomioassettomio Posts: 413
    Nexus 6
    You know, they could also start making longer lasting games, although lucky's tale, edge of nowhere, robo recall and d&b can last you quite a long time..
  • OLLI_SOLLI_S Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    d&b ?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited March 2017
    Drum & Bass, right? He probably means Dead & Buried, of course.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,119 Valuable Player
    Your being to cautious. Read reviews look at specs. Watch u tube. If you do that you will almost always make the right choice.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,626 Valuable Player
    With all the YouTube playthroughs I just can't see why any company would take the time to do this sort of thing. Besides, it is up to the development studio for the game to create a demo version, not Oculus as a storefront.

Although I do see ten minutes as a reasonable demo time. While it is true that many games range from 3 - 6 hours of total playtime, math dictates that there are 60 minutes in an hour so 10 minutes should be fine. But again, it is up to the development studio.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    edited March 2017

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    danknugz said:

Nice one! For some reason I thought you only knew about country music.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    Just buy the games that aren't exclusives on Steam and use their refund system since Oculus isn't going to offer it.  For the rest, read the reviews and watch youtube videos.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    My suggestion is that Oculus offers a feature to try every game for a limited time for free.
    So the developers of the game don't need to do anything (don't have to release a demo version).

And what about a refund feature?
    When Steam offers this feature and Oculus not, bet where I buy titles that are available ob both platforms.
    Without this feature Oculus looses money...
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Id love to have sex with multple beautiful women without spending time and money or wining and dining them first.
    Or if after i have sex with them, assuming i dont spend too long doing it, i should he able to get a refund of my money and magically given my time and effort back should i decide thats what i want.

Dam you female population!!! Thats the way steam does things, so clearly you should too.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • loregnumloregnum Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wish we could demo games or have a small refund time (15-20 minutes would probably work) just because with VR, you have the motion sickness factor so it'd be nice to see if the game will work for someone when they buy it. I know they have the comfort ratings but those can't be blindly trusted.

I for one will look to buy games from Steam instead of Oculus if I am not sure it'll work well for me, comfort wise.
    Brain Burst
    A demo or a refund is also very useful when a game is not running on the users system due to technical problems (like driver issues).
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    I agree with op honestly, it's not because I do or don't think I'll like a game that I need a refund, it's the physical aspect of being able to handle it.

I could tell that dirt was my kind of game, but for some reason I couldn't play it for more than a minute without getting sick. framerate was good (used debug tool to check) and I've played Elite for months with no issues so... The fact that we have another aspect of physically not being able to handle it, yeah I'd like to be able to test core mechanics. Even a 5 minute "demo track" with dirt would have been fine.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2017
    I bought some VR games (AirMech Commabd, Raw Data, Trickster VR) on Steam just because I have the option to get a refund there.
    And no, I did not use the refund option yet.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,096
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
     It is not too much to expect that the more expensive games should have a demo. Some of the games are $60 plus which is alot of money for some of us.  I have a few games I never play,  Elite Dangerous being one,  a demo would have shown me not to spend money on buying it.
  • ElpocElpoc Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    I thought at some point in the past in-VR demos were talked about by Oculus, as a feature for Home? Am I making that up?
    At the moment you can't even view trailers for games when browsing the store in VR lol. Nor can you read user reviews (or write them).

Having a trial limit time seems like a sensible solution especially given the absence of these other basic features which give information about games.
  • bgranorffbgranorff Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    For me, I am agnostic on this. For Oculus, they shouldn't be. Meaning, I buy absolutely anything I can via Steam, vs Oculus, for this exact reason. And Oculus looses out on that revenue. Being able true reviews, comments, etc. is valuable. But more importantly, with the desperation that the VR world has right now in getting content out, without even trying to see if it is prime time is pretty sad. 
    I recently ordered air mech commander on Steam as it was touch enabled. Well, touch enabled, and actually working correctly with touch, are two different things. But, you will see it highlighted in the Oculus store now..something like TOUCH ENABLED.. COME BUY IT!!!! Well maybe not quite like that, but, basically :) 
    Regardless, on Oculus, had I bought it, I'm out the 25.00. On Steam, less than two hours later, I'm refunding it until they get it resolved (which may be never).
    Anyways, in the end, Oculus looses out on almost all my purchases, why would I ever buy it here? Imagine if Walmart changed their return policy to "suck it up buttercup!"... well I am pretty confident the vast majority of their customer base would start shopping at Target. 
    The fact that Oculus doesn't get this is beyond me....
    Airmech command is awesome and the touch update jas totally chnaged the game. Its more than just "enabled".

Anyways, as previously promised in another thread.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,885 Valuable Player
    elboffor said:
    Airmech command is awesome and the touch update jas totally chnaged the game. Its more than just "enabled".

Anyways, as previously promised in another thread.

Some people just don't like good games.  Airmech is bad ass!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,778 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    I think 10 mins of gameplay is enough to help you decide, I think 2 hours is a bit of a joke. Watching Youtube videos and looking at reviews will give you a good idea what the games about. The 10 mins of seeing what it looks like in the Rift should be enough to help you make your mind up. Why would you need 2 hours of gameplay? What would that achieve apart from letting you finish some games LOL.

Brain Burst
    Trying a game for 10 minutes would be perfect.
    But it should be possible to try the same game unlimited times.

Example: Air mech Command.
    Here the first try (the first 10 minutes) could be used to play the tutorial and to get familiar with the game commands.
    The next 10 minutes can be used to get comfortable with the main menu (read about the specs of my units).
    In the 3rd try I can start playing a mission and see if the game is something that I like.
    Erm, thats experiencing the full game experience.
    The level of entitlement is unbelievable these days.
    If you want a game then buy it.
    Brain Burst
    Why the full game experience?
    I just can play 10 minutes and each time I start playing, I begin from scratch (no progress is saved).
    So when I finish the first level and the game ends, I start at the beginning when I play again.
    Starting a game multiple time is useful because this way I can play the tutorial and get used to it.
  • TravisPNWTravisPNW Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2017
    elboffor said:
    Erm, thats experiencing the full game experience.
    The level of entitlement is unbelievable these days.
    If you want a game then buy it.
    No kidding. 

I've never once wanted to return a game for a refund.  Why?  Because I research my purchases.  There is PLENTY of info available online... everything from reviews over at Metacritic and video reviews on Youtube.

I actually value what other people think and that factors a lot into my decisions.  I just bought BF1, Witcher3 and RE7 this week without so much a demo played for any of the games.

Why?  Because the reviews were amazing from hundreds of people and I know all 3 games are awesome.

LOL @ the entitlement today.  Do your research and make educated purchases.  It's not difficult.

I've done the same thing with my VR purchases and it's worked out well.  I've bought and paid for apps/games and don't regret any of them.
    Intel i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz
    NZXT Kraken x62 cooler
    MSI Z270 SLI Plus
    EVGA 11GB 1080 Ti FE w/ Hybrid cooler
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 Evo m.2 NvME 1TB x2
    NZXT S340 Elite
    Asus 23.6" 4K IPS
    Rift/Touch VR - 3 sensors

Brain Burst
    You are right, there are many reviews, comments and videos about games.
    But as others mentioned above: videos do not show if I can play a game without any problems of if I get the "motion sickness".
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2017
    Some examples:

In Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - VR Experience (on Steam) I get dizzy within seconds when I move around. Same for a good friend of mine, no chance to play without the "motion sickness".

In Trickster VR I can walk around without any problems (walking, not teleporting) but my mate also gets a bit dizzy.Here he prefers teleportation.

No review and video can handle this properly because this is very subjective.

Meantime I bought some move VR games in Steam (all of them are available on the Oculus store too) just because they offer a refund):
    - AirMech Command
    - Arizona Sunshine
    - Raw Data
    - Subnautica
    - Trickster VR

If Oculus would offer a limited-time-trial or a refund, I would buy them on the Oculus store.