Rift is really sturdy: True Story — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift is really sturdy: True Story

maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
Project 2501
edited March 2017 in General
Alright my Rift took quite a hit this week and it still works flawlessly. 

I was showing Ritchie's Plank to my family and we were having a blast (using a real 2x6 plank) BTW if you havent tried it, do it, it's insane. People new to VR find this experience so scary! 

Anyhow, my 8 yo had gone on the plank a few times and she was now comfortable on it and laughing and so on... So what I did when she was at the edge, is... I pushed her off the plank... She went down face first on the floor crying. The Rift took the fall first, she now has 2 black eyes, a scratch on her nose and cheek... But the Rift is fine lol. 

I felt so bad when it happened... Of course my first thought went to my daughter who was crying (not! Lol) 

It also showed me the natural human reaction when being pushed down a building lol. Instead of putting her hands in front she opened her arms wide like they were wings... So you could say that I did that for science. 

The next day, after school I asked her if her friends did asked her about her face, and she told me no, but my teacher did... Ok? What did you tell her? That my daddy pushed me off a plank and I fell down a building! 

I was like, honey you have to explain that it was in VR! 

So as of today, I am waiting for the cops and child services lol... 

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Im glad your Rift was okay
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 794
    3Jane
    So in other words she's never using the rift again.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    hahahaha

you post made me laugh at parts i probably should not be laughing at.

Feel good story of the year, The rift was fine!"!! :p
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501
    edited March 2017
    Haha no I am not mad at her. I felt bad afterwards, didn't expect such a strong reaction! She uses it all the time (VR funhouse, first Contact, stuff like that) 

I will not make jokes like this ever again..to anyone lol. Being used to VR, I know it's not real and don't get much immersion anymore. It's easy to forget how people not used to it still get that immersion.

I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    edited March 2017
    I did that pushing over the edge joke in one of the Dreamdeck demos (with a very weak push, and on an adult :P ), as she was having fun fearlessly peeking over the edge of a tall VR building as if it was nothing... BUT was cautious to anticipate having to hold her back, so she wouldn't fall face forward through my 50 inch monitor (screw her face :P )...

And she yelled : "Are you CRAZY ??? I nearly fell down (the building)" :)

But now that I think back about it, maybe she really yelled "I nearly fell down (on the floor)" : I don't recommend doing it, and you just proved my point ^^°

PS : Looking forward to your official inquiry, and to the corresponding trash news articles spouting their usual sensational nonsense about the negative aspects of the rise of a new kind of media :P
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    maxpare79 said:
    Haha no I am not mad at her. I felt bad afterwards, didn't expect such a strong reaction! She uses it all the time (VR funhouse, first Contact, stuff like that) 

I will not make jokes like this ever again..to anyone lol. Being used to VR, I know it's not real and don't get much immersion anymore. It's easy to forget how people not used to it still get that immersion.

My immersion hasn't decreased one bit, if anything it has increasede, however in a situation like that I'm sure I'd react appropriatly. I guess it depends on the person and maybe a child will be less likely to react properly. Immersion does make me do things that doesn't make sense, but there are limits, I wouldn't think taht I could fall of a roof, but I have reacted by using my free hand with no controller to try to hit a virtual object as a reflex.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    No, really, I'm googling it right now to see if you already made it to the trash media headlines : "Father pushes 8 year old daughter off building because of VR".
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    Cyril said:
    I did that pushing over the edge joke in one of the Dreamdeck demos (with a very weak push, and on an adult :P ), as she was having fun fearlessly peeking over the edge of a tall VR building as if it was nothing... BUT was cautious to anticipate having to hold her back, so she wouldn't fall face forward through my 50 inch monitor (screw her face :P )...

And she yelled : "Are you CRAZY ??? I nearly fell down (the building)" :)

But now that I think back about it, maybe she really yelled "I nearly fell down (on the floor)" : I don't recommend doing it, and you just proved my point ^^°

PS : Looking forward to your official inquiry, and to the corresponding trash news articles spouting their usual sensational nonsense about the negative aspects of the rise of a new kind of media :P
    haha this is hard to say

my brother screamed, please tell me i am in you lounge on that part
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Pushing kids off buildings FOR SCIENCE!  I approve.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,091 Valuable Player
    edited March 2017
    ... and just like that... *poof*!! I am suddenly one of the nicest guys on the forum.

Love that story.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane