New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Revisit the price

kongkingkongking Posts: 93
Hiro Protagonist
We get a miraculous tech for a few hundred bucks. VR is not new anymore. Why a bunch of plastic with years old electronics costs 600 $?

Yes. It's a troll post. But with right cause - there are millions of people who have put the whole VR  thing on hold. The graphics performance is literally available with PCs, consoles with mediocre GPUs right now. Why still 600.-? Just drop it, 300.- and you see 10x increase of the user base. No one looses anything. Everyone wins. Everyone meaning who considers the gains for their money realistically. Remember Gmail with their 15gb space? Whoever does this first for VR will win. Maybe Oculus.

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 1,851 Poster of the Week
    They just took $200 off of it.  Either pay what it's being offered for, or don't.  Stop whining that it's too expensive because you are poor.
  • kongkingkongking Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    No whining. I don't care for it for 600.-. As the majority of  people. That just delays the spread. I can wait for another 5 years very calmly. As with the rest of reasonable people. Hype is over.
    kongking said:
    No whining. I don't care for it for 600.-. As the majority of  people. That just delays the spread. I can wait for another 5 years very calmly. As with the rest of reasonable people. Hype is over.
    Guess you'll have to.  $600 is pretty good for what you get.  Far less than the cost of the hardware to run it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Oh. missed an insult there:)
    600 can be spent on many things that are better than VR. Thats the point.
    kongking said:
    600 can be spent on many things that are better than VR.
    I disagree,  It's one of the best things I've spent $800 on.
    Hiro Protagonist
    99% of people thinks - 600.- for a thing that gets a fraction of my time.. nah
    Its not a luxury item. Its plain old soldering and boiling some plastics. A screen. Lenses. A box. All bot-work. Just multiply. No vanity either. Nothing like that. It's a tool. And I'm not attacking Oculus. It's the hype. It has died off. 200.- cut is not doing it. 300.- for the final product (with better screen if you can) and we are there with you. No fans, normal people.
    Normal people?  Normal people don't even have PCs to run a Rift, they complain that the Gear is too expensive.  Oh and you want a better screen, along with the significantly higher PC requirements, even though you're already complaining that $600 is too expensive?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Again, I remind you with the Gmail trick - they weren't ready but predicted what was going to happen if they offered that. They demolished pretty much every other service. And guess what. Im not whining. I'm just proposing to take the leap and see what happens. 300.-, a 700.- PC can run all the games now. Perfect. Huge boost. I have hard time to believe that it actually costs 300.- to put a HMD together nowadays. If thats the case, they should fire some people.
  • XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    edited March 19
    @ the $800 price point, they were trying to make money off the Rift and recoup development costs.

@ $600, they're trying to make a little money on the Rift, probably much less recoup for development time. Trying to get it out to more people and compete with HTC Vive price.

@ $300, they'd be losing money.

Just because the physical product itself doesn't contain $600-$800 worth of materials, doesn't necessarily mean the value is lost. For the "latest" tech, the high initial price point reflects much of the time and effort of the developers to get the product to you. You have to realize that this is a product that was in development for a long time, and all that time, the company did not have a product to sell to recoup the development costs of this one.

Maybe once the next CV of the Rift hits, the CV1 will drop to $400 or something, but at that price, it would be to move units out of their storage warehouses, not necessarily make money off of it.

PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 3,421 Valuable Player
    kongking said:
    99% of people thinks - 600.- for a thing that gets a fraction of my time.. nah
    Its not a luxury item. Its plain old soldering and boiling some plastics. A screen. Lenses. A box. All bot-work. Just multiply. No vanity either. Nothing like that. It's a tool. And I'm not attacking Oculus. It's the hype. It has died off. 200.- cut is not doing it. 300.- for the final product (with better screen if you can) and we are there with you. No fans, normal people.
    Even 300 was too much for you if i remember rightly...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/305431#Comment_305431
  • reefy86reefy86 Posts: 227
    Nexus 6
    im happy paying £550 for the headset £189 for controllers and £60 for 3rd sensor. a little peed of with the price drop but ah well. im happy with the price as it makes my friends think im rich as they cant afford it :smile:
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am not poor. The whole point for bashing that 600,- -- there are WAY better entertainment goodies to purchase. For 600.- i can go to a race track each day during the summer. Have a blast. Real blast.  Can buy 10 awesome pc games... etc. Go have a vacation in a ski resort. 3 times.

I have been a fan for VR-related stuff and  spent time thinking about getting the rig and spend some cash. Yet, it's not reasonable. And literally 0 of my friends (who work and are not poor) has ever considered spending money on VR. The reason is the same - there is a contest for consumers quality-time. VR is not participating. Thinks it's above all that or something. Well. Carry on. See you next year maybe:) 
  • Ultralow36Ultralow36 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited March 20
    JUST PICKED UP THE RIFT AND TOUCH COMBO LAST week best time I have had playing games in years...600.00 bucks well spent...robo recall,raw data,the climb,and Arizona sunshine.....and VR sports.....loving them
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,414 Power Poster
    The racetrack? Really? REALLY?? You think blowing $600 to watch your horses lose all summer is a better use of your money than a high-end cutting-edge VR headset? Pfft, it's your money, go do what you like.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 781 Poster of the Week
    kongking said:
    I am not poor. The whole point for bashing that 600,- -- there are WAY better entertainment goodies to purchase. For 600.- i can go to a race track each day during the summer. Have a blast. Real blast.  Can buy 10 awesome pc games... etc. Go have a vacation in a ski resort. 3 times.

This has to be a joke.  At some point your parents must have sat you down and said: "Son, life is hard and sometimes you must make difficult choices. But choosing a race track over VR is not one of them, because that's fucking lame."

Welcome to life.
    Currently playing: Witcher 3 & DOOM | Gear: Liquid cooled MSI Z170A PC Mate | Intel i7-6700K | 32GB DDR4 SDRAM 3000 Mhz | GeForce GTX 1080, Acer Predator XB241H G-Sync, Rift/Touch/3 cams.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 2,485 Valuable Player
    I really don't think this guy is being serious. This is a poor attempt at trolling imo.

If he is being serious then I don't think he should be allowed outside without adequate responsible adult supervision lmfao  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Hiro Protagonist
    How is it so hard to understand that 600.- can buy you better stuff than VR. Its a fact.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Race track.. not horses. a car. cars. cycles. whatever, or horses.
    Btw, you are nuts:) Keep your spirits up, we. the reasonable people will come when this gets reasonable. 
    You can take it as trolling, and it sure was. But still with good intentions. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 3,763 Volunteer Moderator
    Some people are pissed off that the price dropped $200. Others are pissed off that it didn't drop $500.
    I'm just happy that the price is already so mind numbingly cheap compared to previous VR. 5 years ago a VR hmd with the rift's specs cost over $30,000. Even the lowest spec consumer hmds cost nearly $1000. In 2011 I bought a hmd for $900. It has 35 degree view, no position tracking, very low res and almost zero software support. It was still a bargain for the time.

If buying 10 games is better entertainment value than $600 for a rift, then logically 5 games would be better than a $300 rift. The rift would have to drop to less than the price of 1 game for it to have value.
    :)

Hiro Protagonist
    Current tech levels can handle much lower prices. I dunno what that is.. The hype is over. Just get it done. Why the wait?

But you guys missed my serious point - 0, i repeat 0 of my friends and not so friends are going for VR. 0.
    All rich and fine young working people.
    Hiro Protagonist
    If it was up to me, id release 1 set for movies with crisp high res wide screen. One for games for good enough quality. And one luxury type. For nutters.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 3,661 Valuable Player
    Well we know what you'd buy don't we ? Stop moaning. You are wasting your life posting here so go on holiday for 5 years. When you come back? Voila......cheapy headsets for all :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I hope:)
    Moaning for god sake. I'd like to see it prevail as fast as possible. Someone has to say that "it doesn't work like that" sometimes or you just psyche each other up and keep on going like that for years to come.
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,577 Valuable Player
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P
  • MradrMradr Posts: 1,963 Poster of the Week
    edited March 20
    I think you are mistaken man. The price has nothing to do with the current roll out. Does making it cheaper help? Yes it does, but that isn't what is keeping from a higher adaption rate. The adaption rate is only low because of people's none willingness to buy or upgrade their current PC/mobile device. If it's not broke - don't fix it has kept with people and as a result - long as it is still running, even if it's slow, they will keep it. Fine young people don't care anyways - I am one of them xD I know my generation. If it's not a mobile device - and you have little to no care in something you never used - they will look the other way around like it doesn't exist even if it's a freaking wall in front of them! xD Really I've seen kids walk into walls looking at their phones.

Unless you can show people how VR works, acts, and can be useful - people are not always up to buying something right off. If the HMD could be used as a replacement monitor - I am sure we see a few more increase sells for that alone (same money - buy a 600 headset but have unlimited screen space to work on anything? - that be worth a lot to people!) Or wireless tech that just "works" with your mobile device - just put on the head set and go!

My point being - one, we need to get the most common device out there first to a level that can even play VR. Right now - low end hardware in the limiting factor. Not price.
    Point two,  marketing and use value will need to increase. Problem is that this takes time and a lot of money.

Fix/give it time for both of those and you will see numbers increase over time anyways. Lowering the value wont "help" as much as getting something out on the market that has a real use value. Games are consider a use value - but only is a small market.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,414 Power Poster
    kongking said:
    Current tech levels can handle much lower prices. I dunno what that is.. The hype is over. Just get it done. Why the wait?

But you guys missed my serious point - 0, i repeat 0 of my friends and not so friends are going for VR. 0.
    That only proves that you need a better class of friends.  ;)

I think @Mradr is right that the bigger impediment to adoption is the PC requirement, rather than the cost of the Rift. Even for regular PC gaming, a lot of people are hesitant to take the plunge despite the PC providing a better gaming experience than consoles. The type of person who will happily spent $500 on a new video card every couple years probably isn't deterred from VR by the $600 price tag.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • dburnedburne Posts: 828
    3Jane
    edited March 20
    kongking said:

I think you are missing something there.
    If they are indeed rich ( which I highly doubt), then I assure you it is not the so called high price of the Rift that is holding them back...

Heck I paid about the same for my 1080 GPU, and look what the Rift does in addition - allows one to see the graphics looking in any direction, in 3D,  rather than just a smaller 2d monitor.  I did not even pay much less for my monitor, guess those are way overpriced too LOL.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I7 4820K@4.50 GHz|EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Elite|16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz| TM Warthog + 7.5cm Ext| MFG Crosswind Pedals| Rift CV1|Windows 10 64 bit 
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Favourite new poster kongking is of mine. Subscribe I will.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Essay.
    "My friends and me"

One of them has to have a fancy new phone each year.. but he only plays team fortress while drinking beer so the computer is cheap and never upgrades, another is a hoarder of expensive music gear. only plays doom 2 on his badass computer. one has a decent setup for occasional flight sim run now and then. But prefers tactile toys  and travelling to spend the entertainment budget on. One has to upgrade his macbook each year but all he does games-wise is those stupid flash things. All aware about VR but not caring about that at all. Last time when i decided to treat myself, i bought a projector instead a hmd. I considered hmd but seemed a bad choice against a projector. And I've been following the VR topic from the start so Im a bit of fan. Not enough it seems.

I mean, there is a competition for our money. VR is not winning that. 
This discussion has been closed.