New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life 2 Control

deadeyedeadeye Posts: 49
edited November 2013 in Games and Apps
Hi Everyone,

Got my oculus rift recently and after starting up HL2 I was amazed at how immersive it was. Unfortunately one of things that throws it off and brings on the nausea for me is the jerkyness of the controller with the rift.

I'm using an XBox360 controller and I think the worst thing is how the cross-hair can become lost out the side of the screen quite often making turning around a bit of a pain and rather confusing to my brain it seems. Has anyone had similar problems and is there any kind of solution to this? I would assume some kind of mod to keep the cross-hair in the field of view at all times or something? I know that they are independent of each other but I can't believe other people aren't having problems with this.

Any ideas?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Have you tried playing with mouse/keyboard? Is that any better?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    I guess the TF2 control convars work with hl2 too?
    Backer
    "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
  • Have you tried playing with mouse/keyboard? Is that any better?

Its a bit better but I still have the problem of loosing the crosshair. Like if i'm turning to the left the cross-hair needs to be all the way to the left of the screen, and then instinctively when i look right and start turning right to turn my body, the crosshair is still far to the left out of my field of view and takes a while to scroll it the the right side of the screen. I would have thought that the cross-hair would stay inside the screen at all times or their might be a console command to do this but so far haven't found anything.

I think the best thing would be to have the body turn straight away when it receives the input and then use a controller key to show/hide the cross-hair or something. Its so hard to focus on moving the cross-hair into place when a dozen of those scary guards are chasing you through windy corridors lol.

I guess the best solution at the moment is to get used to moving the cross-hair while looking but its hard to always do that when ur brain is becoming immersed in the environment and the cross-hair is so hard to see.
  • I use mouse and keyboard and I've never lost my cross hair :/

Hmm :/
    Ordered 27/09/13 Order Status -=ARRIVED!!!=-
  • Download the half life 2 VR mod and stand up, that really helped me no end.
  • CrazyMisty wrote:
    I use mouse and keyboard and I've never lost my cross hair :/

It is definately better with mouse and keyboard for keeping the cross-hair in the right place, but it just kinda feels wierd having my arms stretched out using them and not seeing them when i'm walking around haha guess i'll get used to that. The controller is more comfortable to hold but can be a bit more jerky and the scrolling of the cross-hair is a real pain.

Enerzeal wrote:
    Download the half life 2 VR mod and stand up, that really helped me no end.

I will try the VR mod, i didnt know there was one to be honest, the -vr command line arg seemed to work straight out of the box. Also I tried standing up and omg i felt like I was going to fall over or that I actually needed to start runnning! lol

Also could someone just confirm that to calibrate it now its done through the oculus IPD calibration tool not through the TF2 calibration ( which doesnt actually seem to be there ).
  • deadeye wrote:
    CrazyMisty wrote:

It is definately better with mouse and keyboard for keeping the cross-hair in the right place, but it just kinda feels wierd having my arms stretched out using them and not seeing them when i'm walking around haha guess i'll get used to that. The controller is more comfortable to hold but can be a bit more jerky and the scrolling of the cross-hair is a real pain.

Enerzeal wrote:

I will try the VR mod, i didnt know there was one to be honest, the -vr command line arg seemed to work straight out of the box. Also I tried standing up and omg i felt like I was going to fall over or that I actually needed to start runnning! lol

Also could someone just confirm that to calibrate it now its done through the oculus IPD calibration tool not through the TF2 calibration ( which doesnt actually seem to be there ).

To use the oculus IPD calibration for Half Life 2 you need to opt into the beta.
  • CrazyMisty wrote:
    deadeye wrote:
    CrazyMisty wrote:

Enerzeal wrote:

To use the oculus IPD calibration for Half Life 2 you need to opt into the beta.

I dont see one in the drop down list that just says steampipe like other people are saying, but there is one that says beta in the title. Is this the correct one? (the other one in the list is sdktools)
  • deadeye wrote:

I dont see one in the drop down list that just says steampipe like other people are saying, but there is one that says beta in the title. Is this the correct one? (the other one in the list is sdktools)

n5ELoDU.png

It should look like this.
  • There are several "moveaim" modes that valve has implemented in the Source engine for VR. Check out this pdf of slides from their presentation to learn about how they all work http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2013/Team_Fortress_in_VR_GDC.pdf

Perhaps one of the other modes would feel more natural to you?

Hope that helps :)
    Seeing is believing
  • DarkJames wrote:
    There are several "moveaim" modes that valve has implemented in the Source engine for VR. Check out this pdf of slides from their presentation to learn about how they all work http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2013/Team_Fortress_in_VR_GDC.pdf

Awesome :) I'll check it out
  • deadeye wrote:
    DarkJames wrote:
    There are several "moveaim" modes that valve has implemented in the Source engine for VR. Check out this pdf of slides from their presentation to learn about how they all work http://media.steampowered.com/apps/valve/2013/Team_Fortress_in_VR_GDC.pdf

Awesome :) I'll check it out

That pdf was very interesting and gave some great insight into the VR input that I can work on. I will see if any of the other configurations are better and making sure I'm using the beta version which previously I believe I was not. Oops :P

Thanks everyone for your help :)

On a side note, I am very interested to see how input does change with VR coming onto the scene. I believe its one of those things that people didn't really think about too much as movement in games as kind of become somewhat of a given; move left, move right, forward, back, movement speed, etc, etc. Most games would just set these and focus on the game, but with the Rift I think things like making the movement speed a bit more realistic (we have all got so used to zooming around games at top speed, strafing and spinning we forget this isn't how someone would really move) would greatly improve the experience and even tackle things like motion sickness by being able to trick the brain even more. Even just the sense of speed of moving or the way the camera moves when walking kind of feels like i'm floating along not touching the floor lol.

Anyways guess that's food for thought and I love how a really true next generation bit of tech like the Rift can challenge such a basic fundamental principle of games that is usually taken for granted :)
  • CrazyMisty wrote:
    deadeye wrote:

n5ELoDU.png

Hi, I have signed up to this, and it updated but now VR doesn't work at all. I tried it with the -vr command line option and without. I found the Virtual Reality Mode option in the video options but it wont save it as Enabled. I hit Apply and go back in and its back to Disabled. Restarting the game doesn't help after the prompt to either.

Any ideas?
  • deadeye wrote:
    CrazyMisty wrote:
    deadeye wrote:

n5ELoDU.png

Hi, I have signed up to this, and it updated but now VR doesn't work at all. I tried it with the -vr command line option and without. I found the Virtual Reality Mode option in the video options but it wont save it as Enabled. I hit Apply and go back in and its back to Disabled. Restarting the game doesn't help after the prompt to either.

Any ideas?

Managed to figure it out using this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5041&view=unread

Although i found it much harder to see things with this (maybe the reduced resolution) and the z-rotation (ear to shoulder) is very disorientating as this just moves you left and right (guessing this is a game restriction). The up and down feels a bit strange too as if it warps out a bit when u start looking up and down. Strange.