New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Stamp Specifications

GhostWulfGhostWulf Posts: 2
NerveGear
I'm brand new to Medium -- as in I used it for the first time yesterday -- and I love it. As soon as I realized I could use my kit-bash stuff in it via stamps I was super excited to try it. However, I have a huge problem: All of my kits seem too high res to use as stamps. When I import them the mesh is missing lots of detail, even when I increase the layer resolution by 15 clicks or so. I had assumed having super high resolution would fix the problem, but it appears not. 

That made me wonder exactly what sort of export settings I should use on the original meshes to export them. I'm fine with losing some detail to use Medium, but I'd like to retain basic stuff. For example, I have a bunch of Vitali kits like https://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/meg and none of them import well. 

Is there a list of optimum settings for exporting OBJs to be used in Medium floating around somewhere? I'd really love to shortcut hours of modification only to find out that nothing I do is going to make more than half of my kits usable. 
Tagged:

Comments

• nosferalatunosferalatu Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Hi GhostWulf,

That's a good question. Thanks for the link to the Vitali kits. It sounds like what you'd like to do is take a set of those meshes, import them as stamps into Medium, and then place them with as much fidelity as possible?

The way Medium works isn't ideal for that right now. We've been designing Medium to work as instantly as possible, and one of the performance sensitive areas is the placement of stamps. To help manage that performance, we have a maximum stamp size of 128x128x128 voxels. No matter what the original mesh contains, we reduce its resolution to that 128^3 grid. When you place a stamp down, we resample that grid to the size of the stamp that you've set in the tool.

One thing to keep in mind is that we use a cube to store the stamps, so the longest axis of the mesh is the one that determines grid's world space/voxel ratio. In other words, something more like a sphere or cube will utilize the available resolution better than a long, skinny cylinder.

You could break up the kit meshes into smaller individual pieces, import the individual pieces as stamps, place those, and use the smooth tool to weld together any seams. We currently think of stamps as small pieces of larger objects, not the other way around, but I understand why you'd want to kit bash with high resolution meshes.

We have been talking internally about how to make this work better. In particular, we'd like to improve the stamp code's performance so that they have higher resolution, better wrap the available resolution around objects (so that long, skinny stamp meshes look better), import meshes as a sculpt, and so forth.

As far as optimum settings for OBJs to be used as stamps:
    - the meshes should be watertight (non watertight meshes work, but may have artifacts extruding from the non-watertight parts of the mesh),
    - they should be fairly low resolution (in the low tens of thousands of triangles); the more triangles, the longer it will take to switch to that stamp in the stamp browser, and also we resample the stamp meshes to 128^3 so higher resolution triangle data is reduced to a lower level of detail anyway

Be aware that the runtime performance of placing a stamp is constant. That is, the original triangle count of an imported stamp mesh doesn't affect the performance of using that stamp because we first resample to the fixed-size 128^3 grid.

• GhostWulfGhostWulf Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Wow! Thanks for such an awesome reply. I'll definitely keep all of that in mind for using the larger items, but the issue I was having was with much smaller parts, but the buildings were a good example for pushing the limits. 

A good example pack of the smaller component packs i use is https://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/ultraborg-subd-armor-pack sticking with the Vitaly theme. When I import this pack a lot of triangles are missing from most items, especially the "mesh" items that look like chainlink fencing. 

Tonight I'll look at the meshes and see if they are outside of the grid size since I don't know what the scale was when I exported. 
  • SubcreationSubcreation Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm also trying to use Vitaly's kits as stamps. I understand there are performance constraints, and I appreciate that having nursed myself through some major motion sickness to use Medium on a laptop before upgrading to a much more capable desktop.

Maybe you could consider adding a 258^3 stamp option that could be specifically enabled on a per stamp basis or as a user setting. That way users who have the processing power could use it to get more detailed stamps.

What I actually expected was that when I upped the resolution, the resolution of stamps would also increase. This is more intuitive than what I describe above. When the artist increases the resolution of a layer, they anticipate that performance demands will increase. Having your stamps effectively shrink with resolution increase is not expected, and rather frustrating.