New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Robo Recall Crashing and now won't even load

rbodden89rbodden89 Posts: 5
NerveGear

So I was having problems with Robo Recall crashing whenever I tried to load missions 1.2 or 2.1. I tried contacting Epic games since it was giving me an Unreal Engine error, who ultimately told me to create a ticket with Oculus Support. After following some steps from Oculus Support the game won't load at all now. Does anyone have any ideas or insight? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the Oculus Launcher and Robo Recall. Deleting all Oculus folders. Updating my drivers. Nothing works. If anything the problem is getting worse. 

Comments

• XsjadiaXsjadia Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    Can you post your PC specs (as many details as possible, especially if you're overclocking anything). Along with any additional programs that you run during your VR experience (anti-virus, hardware monitors, specialty peripheral software for your mouse/keyboard/controllers, etc.)
    PC Specs:
    Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
    Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
    GTX 1080
    16 GB RAM @ 3200 Mhz
    Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
    4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup
  • rbodden89rbodden89 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited April 4
    PC Specs: 
    -Intel i7-6700k @ 3.40Ghz
    -Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    -16 GB RAM 
    -2-Sensor, Moderate Size Setup

Running in the background:
    -Alienware Command Center; which I've tried uninstalling but Robo Recall still crashes. 
    -Nvidia GeForce Experience
    -Windows Defender

All my drivers are up to date as well. I have my Oculus Logs as well if those would help at all. I really appreciate your willingness to help  :) 
  • AQfumesAQfumes Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    @rbodden89 I'm guessing by your specs that you're using a laptop? If so, have you tried looking into the Nvidia control panel to see if the Oculus program and others are using the Nvidia gfx card and not the laptop's intergrated gfx? 

In the Nvidia control panel select Manage 3d Settings in the sub-menu of 3d settings. Go to Program Settings and uncheck the box that says 'Show only programs found on this computer'. Click the add button and this opens a window with recently used programs. 
    Start by clicking the Oculus program exe. and the Robo Recall exe. if it appears in the list. For each program select your graphics card in the drop-down menu for preferred graphics card, make sure it's not set to INTEGRATED graphics.

Do this for all programs in the list then press save and reset the laptop. It's worth a shot to take a look, cause it may be what's causing the crashes and also make sure the laptop is always plugged in while using the Rift and not on battery power, that can cause poor performance as well.

Good luck.

NerveGear
    @AQfumes I'm actually running an Alienware Aurora desktop. I checked out the Nvidia Control Panel and it looks like everything is set to my global setting which are the GTX 1080 card. Oculus has actually recommended that I reformat my hard drive at this point. Since this is a purely gaming computer I'm going to go ahead and give that a shot and see what comes of it. Fingers crossed. Appreciate all the feedback and I'll update with my results. 
  • MadtownSassyMadtownSassy Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same story @rbodden, I had played Robo Recall every day for about 7 days and as of Tuesday (4/4/17) night the game will not load. I must say my situation is different because I am on an Alienware 17 with a Graphics Amplifier housing a GTX 1070, but as of 3 days ago, I am completely unable to play Robo Recall, I have tried re-installing the game, graphics drivers, got rid of command center altogether, also tried enabling in Nvidia Control Panel, then finally tried a clean install of windows and still zero luck.

Symptoms are standard, I select the game in Oculus Home start and it gives me the "Sorry Robo Recall is take a while...", so I check my desktop where robo recall is hung up, either a black screen or a white screen that hasn't maximized yet. If I run task manager, robo recall is "not responding". 

The rest of my library is still running fine, but something destroyed my ability to play Robo Recall. One of those situations where I would gladly sacrifice every other game in my library just to play RR, typical that my favorite game is the one that won't run. 
    NerveGear
    @MadtownSassy I was able to get the game working again. I had to reformat my hard drive and do a clean install of windows. So I had to completely delete everything off my SSD before reinstalling windows, instead of doing a standard repair. After a long back and forth with Oculus, with many different troubleshooting tasks they ultimately recommended this approach. Luckily my PC is solely for gaming, so I had nothing too valuable and didn't mind spending the time completing the clean install or reinstall my various programs. Good luck @MadtownSassy. I was just as annoyed and frustrated as you. Robo Recall is easily mt favorite VR game and definitely one of my favorite gaming experiences period. 
  • SUBZer0VRSUBZer0VR Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    edited April 7
    Same shit just started occurring with my Robo Recall.

Robo Recall update w/ new 360 teleport 4/4/17
    Nvidia GPU recent software update 4/4 or 4/5

Robot Recall has NOT loaded at all since.  All other applications function without any issue.
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    What NVidia drivers are you all on? 
    PC Specs: 
    Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHZ
    MSI Z270 VR-Ready M5 Gaming MB
    MSI 1080Ti Armor 11G OC
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
    Orico PA31-2P USB 3.1 Expansion Card
    Fractal Design R5 Silent Case
    3 ( soon to be 4 ) Sensor Roomscale Setup

NerveGear
    @samsungtx If you have the time and patience I recommend reformatting and doing a clean Windows install. Seems like way too much unnecessary work but I promise I did every other troubleshooting task under the sun and sent oculus like 4 different support logs before caving. Now the game runs just as smooth as when I first installed it. 

@dougchism I couldn't tell you right now but that was one of the first steps I took and the card was already up to date so didn't make a difference.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,358 Valuable Player
    I find a clean install theraputic. The latest iso from ms is only a month or so old too so most updates are bundled with it.

That said, the built in reset feature is pretty bullet proof now, pretty fast too.
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Micro666Micro666 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Same has happened to me in the last couple of days. I try and load Robo Recall, and in the headset I get told it's taking a long time to load etc. That's fine that happens sometimes. However, after 3 or 4 mins, I take off the headset as instructed, and the Robo Recall window is just black.

It stays like that forever till I kill it. The process is using around 2.5GB memory used, and around 17% CPU, but the game isn't running.

I was playing Robo Recall fine, many times in recent days. I'm on Oculus 1.13 beta, but have had no update to the Oculus software since Robo Recall was working.

The only two updates of note since last successfully playing Robo Recall are:

Robo Recall Update (added official 360 degree support) - Version Odin-CL-3381948
      nVidia Driver Update to 381.65

One of the above two updates has killed Robo Recall, as I've had no Oculus or Windows updates since last playing successfully.

I'm not going to reformat my PC, as I have a ton of stuff on it, and it takes many days to get back to where I want it.

CPU: Core i7 3770K, 32GB RAM, 12TB HDD 512GB SSD, nVidia GTX 1080

Either nVidia or Epic have bust something :-(

NerveGear
    Update: I rolled back my nVidia 381.65 drivers to the previous version dated March 20th 2017, and still the same, Robo Recall loads to a black screen on the desktop, whilst the Rift headset, just shows that the game is taking a long time to load.

That rules out the nVidia driver being the issue, so the only thing it can be is the Robo Recall update itself. Oh by the way I re-installed the Oculus software too, and that made no difference whether on public Oculus software or beta.

I'm going to contact Epic to see if they can shed some light on this.
  • SUBZer0VRSUBZer0VR Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    @rbodden89 Nope, don't even what to bother with doing a fresh install on my PC due to ROBO Recall should work bottom-line.  So, no that is not even in the cards as a(n) option.  Thanks big homie! 

@Micro666
    Yep, same shit happen my way with the same time-line.  I have a ticket open with Oculus regarding the down time of the application.

@dougchism 381.65 Nvidia drivers released 4/5/2017 - I highly doubt the recent update to Nvidia drivers is the issue.  ALL applications work as they should except Robo Recall.       
  • jflanlyjflanly Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. I submitted a ticket and am debating about reloading my system. Everything worked fine on 4/5/2017 and on 4/7/2017 the game updated and never worked again
  • kizlockizloc Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My Robo recall not working since update who and how do i send a request for technical help?
  • DarkraizerDarkraizer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I wasn't able to launch Robo Recall recently either. After looking into it I'm starting to suspect the save data is the problem. I backed up then deleted the folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\RoboRecall

and I could run again. The save slots were empty of course so it's not a great solution...
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Ran fine for me just now, but its a brand new computer it had no saves. 
    PC Specs: 
    Intel i7-7700K @4.2GHZ
    MSI Z270 VR-Ready M5 Gaming MB
    MSI 1080Ti Armor 11G OC
    G-Skill 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4
    Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
    Orico PA31-2P USB 3.1 Expansion Card
    Fractal Design R5 Silent Case
    3 ( soon to be 4 ) Sensor Roomscale Setup

• thawankthawank Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Have the same issue too,  reinstall Oculus, robo recall, go through full setup and the game is still not working
    NerveGear
    Yes same for me since the Robo Recall update. Another user on here deleted his game saves, and the game works again.

I reported the issue to Epic Games, but they said to contact Oculus support. I know it's an Oculus exclusive, but it's Epic Games who wrote it, and updated it!!

and it seems broke it!!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,185 Oculus Staff
    Can you please reach out to us and submit a support ticket:
    https://support.oculus.com/
    If we receive enough information we can contact the developer. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • DeePee0DeePee0 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Can confirm. All I did was find the saved games folder and I deleted one called OdinSettings.sav. Worked just fine after that.
  • Marou.1stMarou.1st Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks guys! I had exactly the same problem and deleting the saved games folder solved it.
  • tr0ystertr0yster Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue as everyone else here, since the last update it doesn't load anymore, sits there and I have to kill it from task manager.  I really don't want to delete my save files, I'd much prefer they just fix it.
  • BlackAesopVRcade1BlackAesopVRcade1 Posts: 0
    NerveGear
    I had the same problem... Took Darkraizer's advice and deleted the Robo Recall folder in appdata and it now launches... Sad I had to loose my saves... I hop Epic resolves this soon... Starting all over isn't that bad as I don't mind going through it again but but having to delete folders or re install windows is not acceptable.. 
  • HomerNarrHomerNarr Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 16
    Same Problem here! Start Robo Recall, nothing happens. Oculus asks to check the Application. The RR Window is open, but the Software does not respond. Your only way to stop the app is using the task manager.
    Another Idea:
    Maybe a Problem with the nvidia drivers? There where updated 4/6/2017?

EDIT as BlackAesopVRcade1 and Darkraizer wrote: Delete your saves from the AppDate Directory in you users Directory and RoboRecall should start again. After that i could restart it and continue on the place where i left. Lucky me i was just 12% in the game, so no Harm done!
    c:\Users\$USERNAME$\AppData\Local\RoboRecall\

• amerrinamerrin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I too suffered from Robo Recall opening to a black screen and being unresponsive.  Always had to force close it and it wouldn't play.

The solution is to delete OdinSettings.sav inside of C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\RoboRecall

Only delete OdinSettings and you will get to keep your game saves and also it will run perfectly again.
    Thanks for posting the solution.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • gianpi17gianpi17 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Hi everyone also a me the game crashes and I'm trying to solve, eliminating OdinSettings.sav but i can not find it anywhere, someone can help me please
    You have to enable seeing hidden files and folders in Windows folder settings.
  • davidfnzdavidfnz Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Yep deleting the save games folder fixed the issue for me as well.