cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reinstalling windows

reefy86
Adventurer
i have all my vr games saved to my 1tb hard drive and obviously windows on my ssd drive, will i need to install the games again if i reinstall windows even though they are installed on another hard drive?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

chadterry.2023
Honored Guest

Hi! Good news! You won't need to reinstall your VR games if you're doing a clean reinstall of Windows. Your games are installed on a separate hard drive, so the reinstall won't affect them. However, you may need to reconfigure the games to point to the new installation of Windows. Just ensure you know the file path where the games are installed so you can easily access them. Also, you can try purchasing cheap windows keys, as some of them may be a great alternative. Have a good one!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would certainly think so to cover all the needed registry entries.
However you can save yourself from having to re-download all your game content.
See here.

Note though you will lose any saved game progress.

reefy86
Adventurer
thank you 

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are very welcome, good luck!

Choronzon
Adventurer
Windows is installed on the SSD and stuff on D drive won't be affected... unless you deliberately choose to wipe Everyrhing.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Saved games are stored in your Windows account folder (C:/Users/YourName/AppData) and will be deleted if you reinstall Windows. Each game may store in a slightly different folder, but you can try to back them up if that's important to you.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Can I hijack this thread a tiny bit ? If I got the free win 10 update but my original disc was win 7 how do I reinstall windows? Anyone know?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybereality
Grand Champion
You can download Windows 10 from Microsoft.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
I'm not 100% sure if a fresh install will work, but a in-place reinstall might work without a key.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Ernimus_Prime
Heroic Explorer

Techy111 said:

Can I hijack this thread a tiny bit ? If I got the free win 10 update but my original disc was win 7 how do I reinstall windows? Anyone know?

You can use your Windows 7 CD key to install Windows 10 since you did upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  As long as you have the Windows 7 key.

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI), Ryzen 7 3700x, 16 gigs ram DDR-4 3600 MHZ. SSD XPG 8200 pro 1 TB. WD Black 4 TB. Windows 10 PRO 64-bit. MSI VENTUS 3 RTX 3080 OC, Primary: MSI MAG274QRF-QD 2nd monitor: Acer Predator XG270HU 1440p@144 hz, Phanteks Enthoo Pro case. Corsair rm750x PSU. Rift S.

Anonymous
Not applicable
As long as no hardware is changed at all, Windows 10 should reactivate without needing a key.  If you have your digital license linked with a Microsoft account you will be able to look up your key if it won't reactivate, You'll have to update your windows 10 to current to be able to do that though.