New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Becareful what you show people!

ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 507 Poster of the Week
edited April 2017 in Oculus Share
Had a neighbour pop over to borrow his spare key becuase he left his at work. He's never seen VR before so I thought show him 'TheBlu' and the whale scene.

He put the HMD on and was gasping in amazement, I thought he was in the Oculus Home starting area, he wasn't he was still on the 'look here to start screen' and was freaking out in joy at just seeing his hands in VR.
He entered the Oculus Home but was reluctant to look around at first.

I started up TheBlu and as soon as the intro popped up, he froze in fear, would not move and said it was really freaking him out, and that he needed to take the HMD off.

He then told me that whenever he took the kids to an aquarium, he had to stay out the way as he had a fear of being around or near water. I felt terrible and wished I had ask him what things he liked and disliked first.
He was very reluctant to want to try anything else after that, but I calmed him down and managed to get him to watch 'Henry' and he thought it was absolutely amazing!

He said the next time he comes round he's going to have a glass of wine first!  :)
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,872 Valuable Player
    Had a neighbour pop over to borrow his spare key becuase he left his at work. He's never seen VR before so I thought show him 'TheBlu' and the whale scene.

He put the HMD on and was gasping in amazement, I thought he was in the Oculus Home starting area, he wasn't he was still on the 'look here to start screen' and was freaking out in joy at just seeing his hands in VR.
    He entered the Oculus Home but was reluctant to look around at first.

I started up TheBlu and as soon as the intro popped up, he froze in fear, would not move and said it was really freaking him out, and that he needed to take the HMD off.

He then told me that whenever he took the kids to an aquarium, he had to stay out the way as he had a fear of being around or near water. I felt terrible and wished I had ask him what things he liked and disliked first.
    He was very reluctant to want to try anything else after that, but I calmed him down and managed to get him to watch 'Henry' and he thought it was absolutely amazing!

He said the next time he comes round he's going to have a glass of wine first!  :)
    i love this stories, first time users are the best
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SkipChurchSkipChurch Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have a sort of bathophobia (fear of depths) when it comes to water myself. I probably would have reacted the same way if thrown right into it. As a matter of fact, I will avoid TheBlu. Thanks for the heads-up.  :# 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    We really shpuld always record first time users. Oculus should give us all free go pros and an upload channel to use as advertisements!
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • cybernettrcybernettr Posts: 866
    3Jane
    Maybe there's some truth to the claim that VR can help one deal with phobias, but I agree that phobics should ease into it first. It sounds like VR is realistic enough to trigger a true phobic reaction.
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Theres a lot of research going into using VR to treat fears and its proving to be really effective! Once hes used to VR and 'feels safe' might be wourth suggesting
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    Im scared of dreadhalls
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 177
    Art3mis
    I use a Gear VR and will get my rift system in a week or two.  Is there a big difference in the two as being more into the scene ect...?
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 507 Poster of the Week
    DTH said:
    I use a Gear VR and will get my rift system in a week or two.  Is there a big difference in the two as being more into the scene ect...?
    I think you'll be more impressed with the Rift  ;)
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078 Poster of the Week
    edited April 2017
    elboffor said:
    Im scared of dreadhalls
    I really like the movement and atmosphere of this game. I just wish it was more of a hack/slash RPG than a run-in-fear from everything kind of game. Scouring the shelves/tables etc for coins is fun and the catacomb maze is really immersive.
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078 Poster of the Week
    DTH said:
    Absolutely .. as far as I know, the GearVR doesn't have positional tracking. Which means you will be able to move your head forward/back/side to side.. you will have a much better sense of spatial awareness in the virtual world. Add to that the Touch controllers, if you're getting them, and you can physically interact with things in certain games and its WAY more immersive.
    Art3mis
    It will be part of my system.  That is the main reason for me to get the rift.
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 507 Poster of the Week
    DTH said:
    It will be part of my system.  That is the main reason for me to get the rift.
    You're going to be well impressed. Welcome to the Touch club! :)
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 758 Poster of the Week
    I must confess that little floating robot in the Rift tutorial seriously creeped me out. I would have been far more comfortable if they had just hurled me into the Doom universe or something. At least then I'd of had a super shotgun. Maybe I've seen too many movies/games where robots = mostly bad things. 
    Art3mis
    There is now a flowing robot or creeping thing over the radio.  I liked the blimp better.
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    We can say we are going to be mindful of others, but who hasn't put the Oculus introduction on for a newbie and waited in gleeful anticipation for the t-rex to come bounding down the corridor? Oh how we delight as they squeal :blush:
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,361 Poster of the Week
    I introduced one of my friends to the Rift with Face your Fears.
    When that clown started moving it was off of him and he was in the next room.
    WAAAGH!
  • DielowDielow Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    +1 for the Go Pro and the channel to upload the videos !! I launched my brother in this virtual world with Robot Recall. He enjoyed it so much that he didn't want to quit after 1 hour ! The kids were waiting their turn so we forced him out ! :D
    Art3mis
    I love the T-rex but he still scares me to death.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,408
    Wintermute
    My brother screams at scary stuff so always a laugh, he did cry after Henry due tot he emotional roller coaster it took him on.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,485 Poster of the Week
    Morgrum said:
    I introduced one of my friends to the Rift with Face your Fears.
    When that clown started moving it was off of him and he was in the next room.
    Yeah, that bed scene had some mean jump scares.. but at the end of the 3 re-hashes of the same concept I was numb to it.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • Sax-a-boomSax-a-boom Posts: 731 Poster of the Week
    There are so many great things that it would be good to show newbies, but loading them in and out and their combined length is a bit restrictive, especially if there's more than one person to show. It would be good if Oculus put together a new 10-15 minute taster of experiences and games that they have been involved with since launch which we could show.
  • DielowDielow Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Actually that would be really nice ... a compilation of the best quick expériences. Perfect to demo to our friends/family and also great for them when they do demonstrations in stores like Best Buy.
  • dmdcsmdmdcsm Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    I usually put them on No Limits 2 and laugh
  • cero490cero490 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    I still have to be vaguely selective with what I even put on for myself! I have a deep love for the water, and the idea of exploring it in VR? Awesome! It's when you get that aquatic life that my phobia kicks in haha' I endure such titles because they truly are amazing, but there are literally times when I lose my shit in VR because I think I hear something moving near me down there or I see, heck, even fish at times! XD

How does one even posses such a passion for the water, and still somehow go through life being utterly terrified of just about all aquatic life?
  • bizjerbizjer Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    I often go with Battle of Endor as It was my first experience. I remember my cousin putting on the Dk2 the John Williams music starting and the yellow scrawl. As soon as it kicked off you could see his mouth form a perma-grin lol. His brother went on NL2 and I had to catch him from falling off of the chair. Simple as it is too Dead & Buried horde mode usually does people when they get real close.