New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Resident Evil 7 for Oculus rift?

Paddy234Paddy234 Posts: 33
Brain Burst
I have just watched a few PSVR reviews of resident evil 7 and i have to say i'm not impressed. First of all no head tracking and it is played with a controller so it seems like quite a watered down experience for what VR devices today are capable of. When the exclusive deal to PSVR ends and Capcom perhaps brings it to PC VR i really hope they don't do a half arsed job of it. VR needs to be done right, i understand for the likes of Capcom why they wouldn't spend much time on developing it for VR as the user base is so low but i feel doing it half arsed only creates worse experiences and puts people off VR in the long run 

Comments

• flaherty784flaherty784 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Paddy234 said:
    I have just watched a few PSVR reviews of resident evil 7 and i have to say i'm not impressed. First of all no head tracking and it is played with a controller so it seems like quite a watered down experience for what VR devices today are capable of. When the exclusive deal to PSVR ends and Capcom perhaps brings it to PC VR i really hope they don't do a half arsed job of it. VR needs to be done right, i understand for the likes of Capcom why they wouldn't spend much time on developing it for VR as the user base is so low but i feel doing it half arsed only creates worse experiences and puts people off VR in the long run 
    I couldn't agree more, a lot of us PC users been waiting a very long time on this VR rendition and I hope Capcom takes into account how long a lot of us RE7 owners hung in there for this and take note most of us Oculus users are rather used to a more immersive and controllable level of VR gaming. What I say is this, they had a good run with this game, made a ton of money but they could seriously push this for longer timeline of potential expanded gaming community by upgrading the head tracking and give us maybe something special come VR PC release. DLC's been short coming as it is so I have the same hopes they do the VR drop right
  • GeekyGamiGeekyGami Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Agreed, been pretty miffed by PSVR exclusives.
    Still waiting, will keep on waiting.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    GeekyGami said:
    Agreed, been pretty miffed by PSVR exclusives.
    Still waiting, will keep on waiting.
    How do PSVR players get to play Lone Echo? Oculus don't even invite Vivers into Oculus Home never mind PSVR. You get what you pay for.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    I'm hoping we'll see RE7 on Steam where everyone will get to play it.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,509 Valuable Player
    edited April 2018
    Steam/oculus home ... I can live with either (though I would hope for native support) but I would love to buy on pc. 1st party titles on psvr I can live with being exclusive, after all say wipeout would not exist without Sony paying.... But RE7 is a multiformat title so I feel disappointed support may never come for it. Ditto if hypothetically it came only to vive or rift. I hope all vr users get to play it (if they want)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,568 Valuable Player
    Sony and Oculus seem to have a healthy relationship. Robinsons the Journey and the BatmanVR experiences began as PSVR exclusives, now they are both available on Oculus Home.

I wouldn't doubt that RE7 will end up ported over to PCVR someday. Of course, if someone really wants to play it bad enough, then just buy a PSVR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    It's possible that Capcom thinks the implementation of tracked controller and head-tracking too much an effort, especially considering that some of the PCVR players have already bought RE7 regardless. The additional sales probably won't be able to cover the additional development cost, unless Capcom sells RE7 VR as an independent product, like what Bethesda has done to its VR ports.

I am a bit pessimistic here.
  • BrokenSymmetryBrokenSymmetry Posts: 250
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    Unless Oculus funds the development!

It will be a valid move from Oculus, since if it is going to be OH exclusive, people who bought it on steam still have to buy it to play in VR. Vive players will also be thankful (hopefully), since otherwise they may never be able to experience RE7 in VR.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 277
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2018
    Steam/oculus home ... I can live with either (though I would hope for native support) but I would love to buy on pc. 1st party titles on psvr I can live with being exclusive, after all say wipeout would not exist without Sony paying.... But RE7 is a multiformat title so I feel disappointed support may never come for it. Ditto if hypothetically it came only to vive or rift. I hope all vr users get to play it (if they want)
    Yeap, i just hate all exclusives and even moreso as i love my casual gaming because i prefer console couch gaming, but that means i need to buy two different consoles to get access to certain games, and that is annoying, but i will say when RE7 does come to the PC gamers are in for a treat, this game in VR blows the immersion factor off the scale, it works, and it works really well, you will forget you are playing this game with a controller about 5 mins in as you the house door slams behind you locking you into this horrible creepy old Texas chain saw massacre type house, i love it, i wish all VR games had this level of immersion.
  • SimonSays28SimonSays28 Posts: 578
    Neo
    It's possible that Capcom thinks the implementation of tracked controller and head-tracking too much an effort, especially considering that some of the PCVR players have already bought RE7 regardless. The additional sales probably won't be able to cover the additional development cost, unless Capcom sells RE7 VR as an independent product, like what Bethesda has done to its VR ports.

I am a bit pessimistic here.
    The PSVR is 6DOF isn't it? So head tracking shouldn't be a big deal - especially considering other PSVR exclusives have been ported over to the PC.

I would like to see it ported over with touch / wand support - but would settle for just a straight controller based VR option on the PC. I don't think it would cost that much to get it working on PC - and if they did it as a separate VR port I would feel a little burned as I spent full price on RE7 when it came out despite it not having VR support so I would hope there would be a some sort of deal for owners of it already. Especially because unlike the Bethesda titles which did not have a VR component at all - RE7 already does.

Either way - if it ever does come to PCVR I will get it. Though if it is a paid option with no discounts for owners of RE7 on steam as well as no touch / wand support - I will wait until it goes on a significant sale. Especially because it is a game that I have beaten 3 times and can be played through in a few hours if you know what you are doing (my average play time after the first time through was about 5-6 hours).

Check out my band at http://theheavyjack3.bandcamp.com/ - our entire discography has been released for free download.