New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Google Earth VR Crashing

cgstonecgstone Posts: 3
NerveGear
My Google Earth VR keeps crashing! I even uninstalled and reinstalled and I get same issue!

Comments

• spence153spence153 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    same here and can't find a fix
  • Emohne23Emohne23 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same here and ditto... no fix
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 701
    Neo
    Did it crash immediately? perhaps you can check where it create the cache and which size was set. The cache is by default in the 'hidden" appdata directory. For me is here:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\VR\Earth'

It's in the "earth_vr_preferences.json" file you can edit with Wordpad or notepad (backup first). You have the path and the size at the bottom (2MB by default). Try to move it elsewhere (E.g other HDD). Possibly a write Right problem or size?

Just guessing...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• paulshortlandpaulshortland Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Same, crashes as loading or during the welcome tour. Worked ok yesterday.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 701
    Neo
    Just spent more than an hour in it, and with new 1.14 drivers, and perfect, no problem at all here. My only problem is you can't leave it cleanly AFAIK, I have to force return to Home, and kill the App in the Task manager.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,193 Oculus Staff
    Can you check which version of the Oculus app you have (in Settings -> General look at the bottom)? You should see either 1.13 or 1.14 (which a bunch of numbers at the end).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    1.13 for me, no sign of 1.14 yet but I seem to get all updates really late (It's not annoying at all, hardly at all, actually aaarrrgggghhhh I can't use so many things everytime I am waiting for an update)
  • softwarescoutsoftwarescout Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same problem here as well. I tried re-installing but to no avail. I'm not seeing this json file mentioned above in the same location nor in a file search on the HDD.  I'm using Oculus v1.13.0.362051. I clicked Google Earth Start button, the Start button spins for a second, the screen flashes then nothing.  Back to main screen.
  • k1rena34k1rena34 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have same ploblem. I dont start google earth VR
  • clokwrkclokwrk Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Also crashing for me. Oculus App Version 1.13.0362051
    Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Please make sure that you have Rift and all monitors connected to the primary dedicated GPU. Nothing can be connected to the motherboard integrated graphics port or secondary video cards. If you are using a laptop, you can try to setting video card settings (for example in the Nvidia control panel 3D settings) to always use the High-Powered GPU. However, laptops can be problematic and may not work in any case.
    I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.
  • clokwrkclokwrk Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think the issue here is that the CV1 isn't fully a consumer level device yet. My google earth started working again once the 1.14 update had arrived. Normal consumers would not put up with these things. Posting about checking connections when it was previously stated to have worked fine is not that helpful.

Having had the DK1 and DK2 I had no issue with hacking a fix for those devices. Surely the CV1 should just work?

Anyhow, roll on the Cv2. Maybe that will work better.
    so I currently do have my monitor plugged into the onboard (need to get a vga to dvi converter). I've tried unplugging everything but the oculus, and it didnt' help. I'll wait for the 1.14 update to get to me, and see if that fixes it.
    You can't use the motherbord video port as I mentioned. However, in most cases, you will need at least one monitor connected in addition to Rift. So please look at getting an adapter, ideally a digital one (like DVI or DisplayPort).
  • Scapin1989Scapin1989 Posts: 3
    NerveGear

Same problem, the point is that yesterday went, then I updated the oculus app and today no longer ...
  • rupsabbott1rupsabbott1 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    yep - same here: running from a Laptop; other games fine: Google Earth VR crashes straight away and exits to main screen... any fixes available akin to the FakeVive patch please?
  • infobitsinfobits Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    edited September 17
    Same problem here also. Start it up, it displays starting up in the headset then after a few seconds it just exits back to the main Oculus home menu. I have a MSI GT73VR Titan Pro-425 laptop which has one HDMI port.  All the other VR apps start up and run fine on that port.  Google Earth VR has a problem with it. Why don't they just fix it? My Google Earth VR is version 1.3.17421.1134
    NerveGear
    Any updates on these google earth vr problems with oculus rift on laptop PC's? I bought a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter cable and google earth vr did start up and play but then in the middle of surfing around in it, the video froze and the software locked up. I had to exit to oculus menu to quit. I tried running it again, it started up but did the same thing and crashed after surfing around in a view.  Then it just stopped starting up all together now and just exits when I try to start it up.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times now to see if it will reset something and work again on the display port.  But is just does not work any more.  So the software must have stored some crash setting on my computer somewhere telling it to just exit forever. Google will you please look into this bug and fix it?
    NerveGear
    infobits said:
    Any updates on these google earth vr problems with oculus rift on laptop PC's? I bought a mini-displayport to hdmi adapter cable and google earth vr did start up and play but then in the middle of surfing around in it, the video froze and the software locked up. I had to exit to oculus menu to quit. I tried running it again, it started up but did the same thing and crashed after surfing around in a view.  Then it just stopped starting up all together now and just exits when I try to start it up.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times now to see if it will reset something and work again on the display port.  But is just does not work any more.  So the software must have stored some crash setting on my computer somewhere telling it to just exit forever. Google will you please look into this bug and fix it?

I finally figured out why Google Earth VR wouldn't start up on Oculus Rift on my laptop PC HDMI port. I had the Rift Headset Audio playback device disabled in my audio playback devices settings in Windows 10 Pro. It has to have the Rift Headset Audio enabled.  For all those with laptops with valid HDMI ports using a qualified discrete GPU, make sure you have the audio enabled for the Oculus Rift headset.  Then Google Earth VR will start up and not exit. It's working on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro 425 laptop now using the single HDMI port. You don't need that separate mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which by the way also requires the audio feed to be enable or it too won't work properly. Problem solved here.
    NerveGear
    I finally figured out why Google Earth VR wouldn't start up on Oculus Rift on my laptop PC HDMI port. I had the Rift Headset Audio playback device disabled in my audio playback devices settings in Windows 10 Pro. It has to have the Rift Headset Audio enabled.  For all those with laptops with valid HDMI ports using a qualified discrete GPU, make sure you have the audio enabled for the Oculus Rift headset.  Then Google Earth VR will start up and not exit. It's working on my MSI GT73VR Titan Pro 425 laptop now using the single HDMI port. You don't need that separate mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which by the way also requires the audio feed to be enable or it too won't work properly. Problem solved here.
    NerveGear